• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Comic Magazines
6 6

302 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2022 at 9:30 PM, OtherEric said:

In this case, "Peter Money" was actually Peter Bramely, not Peter Max.

You're right on the "you never know" bit, though.  I think my favorite examples of that are in The Very Large Book of Comical Funnies.  The section on "Lost" E.C. Comics includes work from Russ Heath, who did work on a few ECs, and then a bit later the "Sap Comix" parody includes work from S. Clay Wilson and Spain.  It's an amazing book... completely useless as a history of comics, because if was parodying everything, but also clearly written with a better grasp of the actual history of comics than some if not most of the comic histories available at that time.

I feel it was more a parody of books like Comix by Les Daniels, as there weren't a lot of comic book history tomes back then. The EC section also contains work by Wrightson parodying Ingels!!!

My favorite Russ Heath comics are actually from the NL Encyclopedia Of Humor, Cowgirls At War and Swamp Sluts! Peak Heath!!!!!

On 10/20/2022 at 3:45 PM, wpbooks01 said:

I feel it was more a parody of books like Comix by Les Daniels, as there weren't a lot of comic book history tomes back then. The EC section also contains work by Wrightson parodying Ingels!!!

My favorite Russ Heath comics are actually from the NL Encyclopedia Of Humor, Cowgirls At War and Swamp Sluts! Peak Heath!!!!!

Both are amazing.  Heath really knocked himself out on Cowgirls at War in particular.

I thought about mentioning Wrightson on the EC bit, but was confining myself to cases of “they got the actual artists”, not just they got incredible artists.  Then again, the more I’ve seen, the more I realize just how much of Wrightson‘s style comes from Ingels.

On 10/20/2022 at 8:22 PM, OtherEric said:

Both are amazing.  Heath really knocked himself out on Cowgirls at War in particular.

I thought about mentioning Wrightson on the EC bit, but was confining myself to cases of “they got the actual artists”, not just they got incredible artists.  Then again, the more I’ve seen, the more I realize just how much of Wrightson‘s style comes from Ingels.

I see what you're doing, but that issue had so many legends...George Evans doing the Japanese propaganda GI Joe strip was inspired!!!

On 12/2/2022 at 9:10 AM, mrc said:

Update to my previous post. After a lengthy search I've finally completed my run of Skateboarder magazines (apart from the photo annual). Remarkably, this first issue is in 'unread' condition and was purchased from an ebay seller in California.......

sbdr1600.jpg

Rad cover🤣🤣👍‼️Love it ‼️‼️

On 12/2/2022 at 9:10 AM, mrc said:

Update to my previous post. After a lengthy search I've finally completed my run of Skateboarder magazines (apart from the photo annual). Remarkably, this first issue is in 'unread' condition and was purchased from an ebay seller in California.......

sbdr1600.jpg

Congrats :applause:

I dug my OO skate mags out of storage.  I hope I don’t now get the bug to upgrade them.:insane:

D09B306F-EEFA-4824-A870-7D5A6F9D8B78.thumb.jpeg.aacd4dfd4f5389b2eb1f8ebc5b2acb8d.jpeg

On 12/18/2022 at 1:27 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Congrats :applause:

I dug my OO skate mags out of storage.  I hope I don’t now get the bug to upgrade them.:insane:

D09B306F-EEFA-4824-A870-7D5A6F9D8B78.thumb.jpeg.aacd4dfd4f5389b2eb1f8ebc5b2acb8d.jpeg

Thanks for digging out your Skate Mags!.....................(thumbsu

On 12/18/2022 at 1:32 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

My fave mag by far.  I just turned 15.  Gonz interview 

Mind blown 🤯 

This one I do want a newsstand fresh copy of....

FFD928F9-5B65-4931-97C3-9067B77467F1.jpeg.37516b5446919f347cbf861a433d49df.jpeg534BFA5B-0E98-44F5-B272-1FAEC90F8B94.jpeg.9d996285d8c2d086f951a6d5f3f1ec76.jpeg

I remember when 'The Gonz' first came to London in '87 and blew everyone away at one of our local skate spots by being the first to ollie 'the gap'   (worship)

Here's the photo.....................

gonz1.jpg

On 12/18/2022 at 9:19 AM, mrc said:

I remember when 'The Gonz' first came to London in '87 and blew everyone away at one of our local skate spots by being the first to ollie 'the gap'   (worship)

Here's the photo.....................

gonz1.jpg

Classic.  Awesome that you were there :headbang:

On 12/18/2022 at 5:00 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Flipping through some old Thrashers, and came across this.  Anybody that was skating at the time knows how big of a deal this was when it happened...

Yep, Natas and the Gonz were the true pioneers of modern day street skating. Incredibly Natas was doing his high ollies on what looks like a single kicktail vert deck as opposed to the now ubiquitous double kicktail 'popsicle' skateboard deck!

On 12/18/2022 at 1:17 PM, mrc said:

Yep, Natas and the Gonz were the true pioneers of modern day street skating. Incredibly Natas was doing his high ollies on what looks like a single kicktail vert deck as opposed to the now ubiquitous double kicktail 'popsicle' skateboard deck!

That whole complete is a beast of a board to throw over that cow.  

On 2/8/2023 at 4:25 PM, OtherEric said:

One project I've been working on for a couple years now but haven't mentioned often is trying to get all the Little Annie Fanny issues of Playboy.  About 3/4 of the way there so far.  Got this one in today, It's one of the very few issues that actually does command a premium:

playboy 1978 10.jpg

Dolly is a national treasure‼️👍