• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Comic Magazines
6 6

282 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2022 at 11:06 AM, Makmorn said:

Don't forget the earliest of Warren mags. Pretty good condition for a 65 year old girlie mag.

AH3.jpg

Never heard but looks pretty awesome for someone back in 1957

On 3/4/2022 at 10:56 PM, Axe Elf said:

I had been looking for a copy of this little beauty ever since the copy I originally had got wet and molded like 15 years ago, and it finally arrived about a month ago.

Well, okay, I wasn't looking THAT long, but I had been WITHOUT it for that long.  The search for a replacement copy probly took all of 15 minutes or so, but anyway, here she is...

1716681202_NewsweekFrontRotated.thumb.jpg.dffaa8bb088cb2946c9dccec34c7e9aa.jpg2110664262_NewsweekBack.thumb.jpg.5db2f4aacf7a0015788c5f2096374fb5.jpg

Seems like it would be about a 5.5 without somebody else's address stuck to the front of it.  But for $15 + $5 shipping, it fills a pretty big hole for me--because of what's inside it.

Right there, on pages 32-33, a big double-page spread advertisement for the Martin Marietta Corporation featuring me, my two other classmates from Downs (pop 1,000) who won the Kansas State Spelling Bee within 6 years in the 70s, and our spelling coach.  I'm the one on the left, the baby of the group.

468621850_NewsweekSpreadRotated.thumb.jpg.aee5f033575b9fa360d09f89a28f3beb.jpg

For a 44 year old magazine, it looks pretty good to me!

That's very cool!  (thumbsu

On 1/18/2022 at 7:48 PM, HoudiniOnTheMap said:

For me specifically, I am looking at skateboard magazines, but assume there is an interest/population of folks that collect magazines of all types.

Back in the day, Skateboarder was my fave magazine. At school we would pore over the photos, trying to work out how to do the latest tricks. The Stecyk 'Dogtown' articles were a highlight and photo techniques such as fish-eye and motor-drive were in their infancy. So over the last five years I've been trying to complete my collection (mostly VF+) but still require issue no.1 and the photo annual. The Jim Muir poster is from Skateboard World magazine and the one I had on my bedroom wall - to remind me of, what decent weather looked like!

march 24.jpg

DSCN1195.JPG

jmdb1.jpg

jg2.jpg

Edited by mrc
edit

On 3/5/2022 at 11:17 AM, mrc said:

Back in the day, Skateboarder was my fave magazine. At school we would pore over the photos, trying to work out how to do the latest tricks. The Stecyk 'Dogtown' articles were a highlight and photo techniques such as fish-eye and motor-drive were in their infancy. So over the last five years I've been trying to complete my collection (mostly VF+) but still require issue no.1 and the photo annual. The Jim Muir poster is from Skateboard World magazine and the one I had on my bedroom wall - to remind me of, what decent weather looked like!

march 24.jpg

DSCN1195.JPG

jmdb1.jpg

jg2.jpg

Never even dawned on me about skateboard mags ‼️👍 they are cool too👍🏆

On 3/6/2022 at 9:54 PM, wpbooks01 said:

NatLamp Year 1-5 (the reading copies and some custom rebinds at left)

20190104_120815.thumb.jpg.21b2bd3957c1d70d7c7639b630975e22.jpg

NatLamp virtually every special except maybe 2 (my dupes that I keep on the shelf)

20190105_155911.thumb.jpg.133af72dd6b2fc3f54ac1fe539af9cb9.jpg20190105_155921.thumb.jpg.e5a7fed919c22786cdde3ea1c38973dd.jpg

Spectacular! I don't think I've ever seen that many special editions all at once. Love that Mara McAfee collection! Which of the specials are you missing? Do you have the Sunday Newspaper and the Art Poster & Iron-On books? There was also a terrific NatLamp issue of "Comic Book Artist", #24, April 2003, the last issue in the series and it focused on the numerous comic book parody features found inside NL issues, especially in the early days. It's got a Gahan Wilson cover and the classic design. 

cba24.jpg

On 3/18/2022 at 12:45 AM, jdandns said:

nat6.jpg

nat8.jpg

nat12.jpg

Nice!   The three I quoted were the issues I had the most trouble hunting down from this part of the run.  The first two issues might have taken me a while to finally grab, but that was more an issue of what I wanted to pay rather than an inability to locate them.  The Mona Gorilla cover in particular seems to be tricky to locate, it's not quite the classic the Death issue is but it's definitely in demand compared to the others.

On 3/18/2022 at 12:16 AM, jdandns said:

Spectacular! I don't think I've ever seen that many special editions all at once. Love that Mara McAfee collection! Which of the specials are you missing? Do you have the Sunday Newspaper and the Art Poster & Iron-On books? There was also a terrific NatLamp issue of "Comic Book Artist", #24, April 2003, the last issue in the series and it focused on the numerous comic book parody features found inside NL issues, especially in the early days. It's got a Gahan Wilson cover and the classic design. 

cba24.jpg

I am missing the "Up Yourself Book" and a late special that I think is called "Made In Canada" which featured only Canadian writers and humor. I have the Big Art Book, a couple of the Iron-On books (which are thin and hard to discern in my photo) and multiple copies of the Sunday Newspaper Parody, also sort of shown in the photos, which are still sealed in the original shrinkwrap. (They are the books between the Dirty Joke Book and the NL Songbook. That's also a Bicentennial Calendar sticking out with no discernable spine!)

I think I still have about 10 Sunday Papers sealed!. Also, I have multiples of the CBA issue, one of which is included at the rear of my bind of 1970 issues, since there was extra space due to the magazine beginning in April! (actually there was a CBA #25 devoted to Alan Moore, so #24 was actually the second to last issue, and probably my favorite one of the run!)

Thank you for your kind comments!

Edited by wpbooks01

On 3/18/2022 at 9:43 AM, wpbooks01 said:

I am missing the "Up Yourself Book" and a late special that I think is called "Made In Canada" which featured only Canadian writers and humor. I have the Big Art Book, a couple of the Iron-On books (which are thin and hard to discern in my photo) and multiple copies of the Sunday Newspaper Parody, also sort of shown in the photos, which are still sealed in the original shrinkwrap. (They are the books between the Dirty Joke Book and the NL Songbook. That's also a Bicentennial Calendar sticking out with no discernable spine!)

I think I still have about 10 Sunday Papers sealed!. Also, I have multiples of the CBA issue, one of which is included at the rear of my bind of 1970 issues, since there was extra space due to the magazine beginning in April! (actually there was a CBA #25 devoted to Alan Moore, so #24 was actually the second to last issue, and probably my favorite one of the run!)

Thank you for your kind comments!

Awesome, wish I had "Up" or "Made" to trade for a Sunday Paper!

On CBA, I thought the Alan Moore issue was #23 for some reason. Just an incredible series, and what a 1-2 punch to close Volume 1.

In the general comics forum, there's a thread where people are showing off their favorite comic dated with their birth month.

For something similar with magazines, I could use Mona Gorilla, not too shabby.