• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Comic Magazines
6 6

312 posts in this topic

On 3/26/2022 at 10:44 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Why have a book that's encased in plastic so you can't read it?

I feel the same way about comics.  What's the use of a comic that's hermetically sealed?  It's no longer a comic.  It's a pretty rock; a commodity--and nothing more.

On 3/26/2022 at 8:44 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Fortunately, they don't certify hardcovers like that, Foggy.  Why have a book that's encased in plastic so you can't read it?  Seems wrong to me...

But you can always protect the dust jacket and actually improve it's appearance by gingerly placing it in a Brodart protector. (it's usually the most valuable part of a first edition).One can still read the book just fine, but it looks oh so nice on the shelf.

If you are really hardcore about protecting your fine first editions, clamshell boxes can be just the ticket! They can also be a work of art in and of themselves!

There's lots one can do for excellent book protection without sacrificing access! I think slabbing is way too extreme, unless all you are really interested in is cover art. I figure if it comes down to it, I'd rather just invest in Krugerrands or the like. They present well and they only have fronts and backs!

On 5/18/2022 at 9:11 PM, jdandns said:

Continuing the early years of NatLamp from two earlier posts.

This lot includes the famous Dog cover. And, hoo boy, there's some stuff on these covers that wouldn't fly today, so you can imagine some of the stuff on the inside!

In my experience, one of the hardest of these to find, for whatever reason, is the one with the guy with the smoking banana on the cover.

nl31.jpg

Oddly enough, that was one in the first batch of NatLamps I ever picked up.  It also may be the funniest issue of the title that I'm aware of, once I figured out the joke.  It was published less than three years after the 60's ended... but it looks insanely close to what you actually would get as a tongue in cheek 60's flashback magazine decades later.  Stuff like this is why, despite my mixed feeling about a lot of the material, I've made the effort to put together the run of the first few years.  Because there is a ton of brilliance mixed in still.

On 5/21/2022 at 12:11 AM, OtherEric said:

Oddly enough, that was one in the first batch of NatLamps I ever picked up.  It also may be the funniest issue of the title that I'm aware of, once I figured out the joke.  It was published less than three years after the 60's ended... but it looks insanely close to what you actually would get as a tongue in cheek 60's flashback magazine decades later.  Stuff like this is why, despite my mixed feeling about a lot of the material, I've made the effort to put together the run of the first few years.  Because there is a ton of brilliance mixed in still.

Same here, in terms of that one being in one of the first batches I picked up, as it was thereafter elusive. I'd read some mid 80's issues when newly issued and would occasionally run across some late 70's/early 80s issues through the early 90s when new issues basically ended, and before I actively collected them. However, the only real familiarity I had with issues from the early to mid 70's were the NL back issue ads in the magazine itself, which I was curious about but never ordered.

As I began building a collection in earnest, in the late 90s (through 2002 or so by which I'd acquired most of the run), I'd pick up random batches, especially of earlier material wherever I could find them (thrift stores, swap meets, Mile High Comics, early Ebay), even if I was doubling up on some of the issues. In the end, I wound up with multiple copies of most issues from between 1970-1992, including the Death issue and the High School Yearbook, but one of the few from the two decade-plus run that I found only once during that 3 year buying flurry was that too-soon 60's Retrospective issue.

My own personal favorite from the classic 1970-75 era is the "Fraud" issue, with just terrific gags all through it. That should be in the next run I post, coming soon.

On 5/22/2022 at 6:37 AM, FoggyNelson said:

Coppertone lampoon cover above is neat

That one sold out almost immediately and had to be reprinted.  I recall seeing the notification or the like in either the March 1973 or April 1973 issue. Not sure if there's a way to tell the difference in printings between the two but for a long time that was one of the hardest issues to find in the wild. I remember being worried that the lady at the register at the drug store I regularly bought my copies from wasn't going to sell it to me, because of that cover. I think this 12 year old genius also bought a couple of regular comic books to camouflage the real purchase......and whadayaknow, she didn't bat an eye, took my money and homeward bound to NatLamp heaven I was.......

And yeah....that October 1972 issue was a mindblower from the git-go when I bought it! Loved the Neal Adams take on Dylan. Learned a lot from that issue!

On 5/21/2022 at 10:29 AM, OtherEric said:

Has anybody ever seen a copy of the "Deteriorata" poster they advertised for years?  I would desperately love a copy of that.

I have it. Sadly it has been rolled up in one of the many poster rolls of stuff I have accumulated over the years, and it might take me years to find it, as I never bothered to label the layers of posters I have stored in many tubes. It's literally a needle in a haystack until I get my paper plethora all sorted out. I also had the poster it was parodying which I always wanted to have framed together.....but that was so long ago.......almost 50 years now....

Found a few old Playboys with Little Annie Fanny stories at the local half price books today.  Anybody know the artist on this cover?  They say the idea for the cover was from Vladimir Nabokov, of all people, but they don't actually name the cover artist:

playboy 1976 08.jpg

"A Personal Account of Three-Way Sex"  lol

On 6/3/2022 at 5:09 PM, OtherEric said:

Found a few old Playboys with Little Annie Fanny stories at the local half price books today.  Anybody know the artist on this cover?  They say the idea for the cover was from Vladimir Nabokov, of all people, but they don't actually name the cover artist:

playboy 1976 08.jpg

think the artist is Dennis Magdich. The link below will provide some information about auctions containing his art. I know nothing about him beyond this, although a google search brings up a fair amount of information to pursue.

https://www.askart.com/auction_records/Dennis_Magdich/126748/Dennis_Magdich.aspx

On 6/4/2022 at 8:18 AM, dzminn said:

think the artist is Dennis Magdich. The link below will provide some information about auctions containing his art. I know nothing about him beyond this, although a google search brings up a fair amount of information to pursue.

https://www.askart.com/auction_records/Dennis_Magdich/126748/Dennis_Magdich.aspx

Very nice, thanks, DZ!  Also, I like your avatar very much, he was one of the greats.  I met his son last year and he's an impressive young man.  (thumbsu