• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC 8.5 Superman #1
1 1

54 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2022 at 4:36 PM, valiantman said:

Newly listed on this week's CGC Census is a CGC 8.5 Superman #1.  Is this a known copy?

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/isolateid/1996

EDIT: It appears to be a regrade of a former CGC 8.0 copy.  Last CGC Census had 2 copies CGC 8.0, this census has 1 CGC 8.5 and 1 CGC 8.0.

I looked it up on gocollect and it shows 2- 8.0's, Zero 8.5's. On the CGC site it shows 1- 8.0 and 1- 8.5. Apparantly gocollect hasn't revised it yet. 

So I guess it's safe to assume one of those 8.0's is now an 8.5? Question to anyone, has one of those 8.0's ever sold in it's CGC encasement? I couldn't find any record of it.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:57 AM, sfcityduck said:

This is the copy DA rejected in favor of the copy he has now.

any estimate what his copy would grade ?

"rejecting" a Supes 1 8.0 now 8.5 :insane:

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 1/19/2022 at 12:17 PM, Gotham Kid said:

any estimate what his copy would grade ?

"rejecting" a Supes 1 8.0 now 8.5 :insane:

Yeah, that rejection exceeds anything i’ve ever heard of in terms of anal-collector mind set. Supe 1 cgc 8.5 not quite good enough! Lol ...

On 1/19/2022 at 7:36 AM, Mr bla bla said:

Yeah, that rejection exceeds anything i’ve ever heard of in terms of anal-collector mind set. Supe 1 cgc 8.5 not quite good enough! Lol ...

The story is he side by sided it and the copy he chose.  DA has a legendary collection because he actively pursued the best and upgraded.  Anyone want to try and list all the legendary top copies he has?

On 1/19/2022 at 12:41 AM, Primetime said:
On 1/19/2022 at 12:08 AM, Larryw7 said:

Is this one owned by the dentist?

I think Bechara still owns it. 

Not any longer...

And let me take a wild guess .......... Heritage will be getting this book to auction, and then the pimping  will begin ..... again.  (something very fishy going on these days with weird grading, insane $$$ sales,  followed by the pimping of the big two players on their sites/social media/press ... I hope this hobby is going to stay healthy)

(shrug) 

Edited by fishbone

On 1/19/2022 at 2:05 PM, fishbone said:

And let me take a wild guess .......... Heritage will be getting this book to auction, and then the pimping  will begin ..... again.  (something very fishy going on these days with weird grading, insane $$$ sales,  followed by the pimping of the big two players on their sites/social media/press ... I hope this hobby is going to stay healthy)

(shrug) 

Out of the limited amount of information available in this thread what leads you to believe 1) that Heritage is involved, 2) that the previous 8.0 grade or the now 8.5 grade is unrealistic, and 3) that the book is even going to be offered for sale?

On 1/19/2022 at 1:52 PM, MrBedrock said:

Out of the limited amount of information available in this thread what leads you to believe 1) that Heritage is involved, 2) that the previous 8.0 grade or the now 8.5 grade is unrealistic, and 3) that the book is even going to be offered for sale?

I would assume 0.5 is in the noise for grading.

On 1/19/2022 at 3:52 PM, MrBedrock said:

inappropriate and extreme cynicism on my part ......  my bad 

On 1/19/2022 at 12:52 PM, MrBedrock said:

The only reason I think it will go up for sale is simply the cost to regrade. I mean assuming the owner did pay the full fee to regrade, and even furthermore if pressed, you're looking at $120K-$150K in pressing/grading fees. I'm sure it's possible the owner has that money to throw away just to get a higher grade, but seems more likely to me you're spending that with the intent to resell.