• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some Nice Golden Age Books Just Sold At A Podunk Auction - Deals?
2 2

26 posts in this topic

There was a nice little collection of raw Golden Age books that sold over the weekend in PA. Clearly the auction house didn't have a clue what they had or the ability to research via the internet. I wasn't able to get there to look at them in person, so was hesitant to bid. The auction house didn't even have them in sleeves or holders, so no telling what condition they'd end up in after they handled them or anyone previewed them. Amazing that these types of auctions still happen in this day and age.

Here is the link that shows just the comics in the auction and the prices realized - https://rentzelsauctionservice.hibid.com/catalog/338388/220115-antiques--furniture---comics--art-and-more/?q=comic

Curious what others think of the prices realized...

On 1/18/2022 at 5:06 PM, SonnyU2 said:

There was a nice little collection of raw Golden Age books that sold over the weekend in PA. Clearly the auction house didn't have a clue what they had or the ability to research via the internet. I wasn't able to get there to look at them in person, so was hesitant to bid. The auction house didn't even have them in sleeves or holders, so no telling what condition they'd end up in after they handled them or anyone previewed them. Amazing that these types of auctions still happen in this day and age.

Here is the link that shows just the comics in the auction and the prices realized - https://rentzelsauctionservice.hibid.com/catalog/338388/220115-antiques--furniture---comics--art-and-more/?q=comic

I don't see any obvious deals from what I know.

Yeah I tracked that auction and bid on a couple.  I thought the prices were outrageous for raw books sold as is.  I would bet there are missing pages and restoration in those groups.   

Edited by telerites

On 1/18/2022 at 2:06 PM, SonnyU2 said:

Clearly the auction house didn't have a clue what they had or the ability to research via the internet.

Clearly the auction probably knew exactly what they was doing.  :devil:

Give the same lowball estimate on only $50 - $300 for all of the lots in order to draw in the so-called know-it-all bidders who will then go on to bid $24K for a lot of these 6 Cap books:  :takeit:

Capt. America No.27,33,11,42,39,37 Note damage on 37 and 39 all are as is

Raw to the point of even clearly stating that 2 of the booksare damaged and all SOLD AS IS, which basically means all of the risk is on you then.  :frown:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/18/2022 at 3:12 PM, Northwest said:

Also remember to factor in the +25% buyers premium. The auction house did quite well, estimates aside. 

Well, if that's the case, then I guess the lot with the Cap's must have come to $30K once you add in the 25% BP juice.  hm

I certainly hope the bidders took a close look at the books because that works out to $5K for each one of them.  :whatthe:

I was watching, too far away for me to preview but even podunk auction houses get seen nowadays. those #s are out of my league, but I was hoping the last assorted lot would slip by, no luck

checking the obvious places these turned up easily, I think the allure of podunk-ness adds to the idea that no one is watching when in fact many really are.

I went and looked at a different auction a few weeks ago and was glad I checked it out in person even though it was a hike for me both ways. It took one full morning to preview and then one full morning to pick up my purchases the following week. :devil: Any real deal was no where to be found but previewing allowed me to focus on certain lots that hopefully pan out. I still paid fmv though, just for the chance to own some raw books that may be hot soon (or already are).

seeing those books on the auciton site did catch my attention, that is for sure! sweet sweet comics for sure (how sweet I'll never know)

I was too busy being outbid and out-priced on Heritage.

Edit: Oh yeah, the prices here look to be high especially on that $24,000 Cap lot.  

Never even heard of Podunk until today. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 1/18/2022 at 7:37 PM, William-James88 said:

It's an expression. And I too got outpriced on Heritage.  Ended up with 0 wins

There were two items I was / thought I was / aggressively pursuing.  

The page of art I can never predict.  It was a Romita Jr Spider-man panel page that when all said and done and tax was added would have been $3000... um... no. 

The GA Human Torch book I liked was conserved mid grade... not a sought after issue as far as I know and that went for over $1000 more than I thought it would. 

You were looking at the Fawcetts? 

On 1/18/2022 at 7:48 PM, Bird said:

down jersey way where they filmed the Sopranos Russian-in-the-woods scene

See... that's what I need... I need people to put things into context in a way I understand. 

One day I have to sit down and watch that entire series.  I have not seen all episodes... :shy:

On 1/18/2022 at 4:46 PM, Buzzetta said:

There were two items I was / thought I was / aggressively pursuing.  

The page of art I can never predict.  It was a Romita Jr Spider-man panel page that when all said and done and tax was added would have been $3000... um... no. 

The GA Human Torch book I liked was conserved mid grade... not a sought after issue as far as I know and that went for over $1000 more than I thought it would. 

You were looking at the Fawcetts? 

Price have clime a bit!

Nothing looks like a steal, and some lots seem a little steep all things considered, but depending on actual condition one or two lots might have still be good value, but you'd be gambling.

Yikes!!

Other auction, I tried to bid ANY SA/BA book but I kept being outbid.  Every two weeks since middle of December until end of January, I still didn't win anything.  I decided to bid any book that already bid as high as $2.50.  That were late Bronze age Sub-Mariners. No one was really going over them so I went ahead to bid four of them if I could get BUT I got outbid again.  I fed up with the "supposed" same bidder then I kept outbidding him/her up to about $45 to $50 each book. Gave up.

I have a feeling this may be the same bidder.  Too far and too much but the bidder may be insufficiently_thoughtful_person in any way in only HiBid auction.  Maybe it's Dylan.

On 1/18/2022 at 5:06 PM, SonnyU2 said:

Edit, it said those two books in the modern group were reprints...it's too early for me to read;)

I went to one of those PA auctions about 10 years ago ...it was so far out that there was actually no internet. That was before my car had WIFI. I still have a Venus 17 that I won there. 
There were a few boarders there and a guy from Mass who was outbidding everyone on most stuff. Maybe @FlyingDonutremembers where it was...I just know it was out somewhere in the Harrisburg vicinity.

Edited by skypinkblu