• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any help ID'ing these artists? Society of Inkslingers?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

These are part of a small collection of photos I recently obtained. Thought I would share them and solicit help for a possible ID. These would have belonged to a man by the name of Joe Mihal. There was a great pamphlet in the lot. Dated March 1941 - lists him as the President of "The Society of Inkslingers". Anybody know anything about this society? Note the Bill Boynansky (of Captain Flight) reference on page seven in the last photo.I think it is just a great find... No last names on any of the photos unfortunately.

The rest of the photos are here:

https://imgur.com/a/uGBzX5Z

1.jpg

On 1/18/2022 at 10:19 PM, Readcomix said:

Could be Fletcher Hanks in the posted pic. Looks like some sci-fi type stuff on his boards. (Just viewing on the iPad now; doesn’t blow up as well as on the computer screen.)

I'd thought that as a potential too but looks like Fletcher Hanks would have been in his 50's in the early 1940s,I think the guy in the photo is younger unfortunately. Thanks for the help!

On 1/19/2022 at 8:49 AM, Bandelier said:

I'd thought that as a potential too but looks like Fletcher Hanks would have been in his 50's in the early 1940s,I think the guy in the photo is younger unfortunately. Thanks for the help!

Good point; I didn’t do the math on the age! doh!

Maybe the Binghamton, NY library has some of that locally produced newsletter/magazine in their archives??

On 1/19/2022 at 7:28 PM, sfcityduck said:

Looks like Rick Fletcher (born 1916) who worked out of Chicago on strips.  All that OA looks to be strips to me.  Here's a profile from the "Stripper's Guide" blog called, interestingly, an "Ink-Slinger Profile" (you might want to reach out to Allan Holtz who runs the blog):  https://strippersguide.blogspot.com/search?q=fletcher

For your convenience, here's the substance from the link:

This is all just so fantastic! Thank you so very much. I will reach out to Allan. Really appreciate the help!