• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I see how many CGC 9.8 newstand editions there are? Looking on GPAnalysis
2 2

32 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 2:52 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 1/19/2022 at 2:23 PM, Microchip said:

Does this foot-in-mouth approach to interacting with people usually work for you?

Does spreading misinformation usually work for you?

You stay true to form.   Go on, push the other foot in there for good measure (thumbsu

On 1/18/2022 at 5:26 PM, KCode98 said:

So I'm looking on GPAnalysis and I see where they have the sales on the CGC 9.8 newstand but I do not see where I can find how many total copies of 9.8 newstand exist right now. Is there a way to see that?

On 1/18/2022 at 5:36 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

GPAnalysis is identifying newsstand issues manually for a few books where the market has established separated pricing (ASM #252, #300, #316, etc.).

They have only been doing so for a few years, so generally speaking, you can only check 2020 or 2021 for market ratios on those books.

Because CGC still doesn't separate newsstand from direct edition, the two years (or so) of data that GPAnalysis provides on some books represents the start of better data than we've ever had.

https://comics.gpanalysis.com/news/2021/newsstand-direct-edition-data-where-gpanalysis-is-leading-the-way

Nothing is set in stone, but the market is getting clearer.

Perhaps there are tons of CGC 9.8 potential newsstand books in collections all across the world. 

Some think there are unlimited supplies of high grade newsstands that just haven't been graded yet.

Other people don't smoke crack. :foryou:

The "controversy" on newsstands appears to be:

1) Most of the time, newsstands are seen less often in CGC high grade than direct editions for the same comic.

2) Most 1970s and 1980s newsstands are available in the market, so they cannot be "rare" by the definition of the Golden Age.

Collectors who focus on the fact that most 1970s and 1980s newsstands are available all the time object to the suggestion that newsstands are "rare".

Collectors who focus on the fact that newsstands are seen less often in CGC high grade than direct editions for the same comic object to the suggestion that there's no difference.

Putting 1) and 2) together would suggest to any logical person that even though many newsstands are readily available in the market, there is still a reason newsstand would sell for a premium because there are fewer newsstand than direct editions for the same comic in the same grade.

Logical persons are not ubiquitous.

On 1/19/2022 at 4:30 PM, valiantman said:

The "controversy" on newsstands appears to be: :blahblah:

The actual controversy on Newsstands is that a bunch of self-serving, lying insufficiently_thoughtful_persons have hijacked the narrative and spread a ton of ridiculous information far and wide in recent years. This, coupled with the apparent extreme lack of knowledge and large amount of gullibility among newer (and probably some older) buyers, does not inspire logical people to have any faith in the current Newsstand market.

Putting 1) and 2) together would suggest to any logical person that even though many newsstands are readily available in the market, there is still a reason newsstand would sell for a premium because there are fewer newsstand than direct editions for the same comic in the same grade.

Any logical person would realize that doesn't stand to reason unless they're equally desirable, which is not necessarily the case.

No argument here.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:49 PM, Lazyboy said:

The actual controversy on Newsstands is that a bunch of self-serving, lying insufficiently_thoughtful_persons have hijacked the narrative and spread a ton of ridiculous information far and wide in recent years. This, coupled with the apparent extreme lack of knowledge and large amount of gullibility among newer (and probably some older) buyers, does not inspire logical people to have any faith in the current Newsstand market.

And if the premium dissipates....so what?  Why are you so angry at newsstand copies?:baiting:

On 1/19/2022 at 8:55 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

And if the premium dissipates....so what?

Well, I don't care. That's a question for the people pumping them.

On 1/19/2022 at 8:55 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Why are you so angry at newsstand copies?:baiting:

meh

:baiting:

On 1/19/2022 at 5:30 PM, valiantman said:

The "controversy" on newsstands appears to be:

1) Most of the time, newsstands are seen less often in CGC high grade than direct editions for the same comic.

2) Most 1970s and 1980s newsstands are available in the market, so they cannot be "rare" by the definition of the Golden Age.

Collectors who focus on the fact that most 1970s and 1980s newsstands are available all the time object to the suggestion that newsstands are "rare".

Collectors who focus on the fact that newsstands are seen less often in CGC high grade than direct editions for the same comic object to the suggestion that there's no difference.

Speaking of 1980's-1990's newsstands:
The first newsstand that I bought because it was a newsstand, was Teen Titans 2 from 1984 in a 9.4 slab. Later, I discovered that finding newsstand copies of comics from the 1980's wasn't that hard to do. They weren't as plentiful as direct editions (with a few exceptions) but they could be found on any day of the week. Sometimes, you'd have to slog through 20 directs to find one, other times 50 or so but that was unusual. At the time I was buying them, I picked up a number of ASM 298, 299, 301, and 316's, along with a couple of X-Men 266's and other keys.

After buying a few hundred 80's newsstands, I started noticing that newsstands after 1999 were harder to find. After 2005, even harder. For those reasons, I refocused my attention on later newsstands, scooping up as many as I could find. During that process, I occasionally ran across the 80's material in raw form and picked them up, for no other reason but I liked the comics themselves and it was fun to see them again. As collectibles though, it seemed to me that they were too common to be as interesting as the moderns.

That was when I discovered Canadians. An interesting thing about Canadian comics from the 1980's is that they are significantly harder to find than their American counterparts, though not as rare as the late moderns. In addition, they were often in fairly poor condition. Compared to US comics from the same era, the Canadians seemed to be in worse condition on average. With that in mind, I started buying Canadian newsstands from the 80's. My impression that high grades of those comics, which average about a 6.5, are proportionately less common than their American counterparts. I'm not sure if this is true but it has made finding them all the more fun, particularly since Canadian editions were made all the way back in the 1940's. My oldest Canadian is Dell's Vacation Parade #1

VP1 Can US.jpg