• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Extravaganza!
3 3

78 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 2:03 PM, Treco said:

I fell out of the local loop years ago as I got married and started raising a family. Basically stopped collecting. As I am getting older now and gaining more free time back, my goal is to maybe start making some shows again. The only comic book shops in my vicinity mainly just deal in gaming and new product, neither of which are of interest to me. Currently, this forum is my main connection to the hobby. 

Maybe try to find a show near you.  Might take a few rounds of going, but I’m sure you’ll find some like minded collectors.  I’ve often thought about starting a monthly comic meetup where I live.  Just not quite sure how to get it going.

The boards are always a good place to chat about books of course.  I have a regular crew that I talk to and buy from in here.  It’s great.

On 1/19/2022 at 2:26 PM, piper said:

Thanks for sharing the story.  Now begins the inevitable upgrading...

I think so.  A lot of the silver age issues fall between Good - Very Good.  So, aside from the “big” books, I think I’d like to get all the SA issues in at least VG.  I’d say I have about 25-30 issues to upgrade and see what happens from there.

On 1/19/2022 at 12:13 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

It had been a while since I had been to a comic book store.  I walked in and for some reason, I got hooked on a copy of X-Men 98.  I couldn’t have told you anything about the story of course, the cover just grabbed me.  

Cheers :cheers: 

2 panels of Lee & Kirby in there 🤟

IMG_20181120_233655.jpg

On 1/19/2022 at 3:39 PM, makeminemarvel said:

Awesome story.  ASM has always been my favorite since I started collecting at age 10 in 1977.  I have a 100-252 run.....

Congrats on an incredible acquisition!

Thank you.  Awesome run of books you have.  Do you have a favorite issue or cover?

On 1/19/2022 at 8:52 PM, KCOComics said:

I love the story and that you stayed connected for all those years! 

I think we all reach a point in our collecting where we want to see our comics go to someone who appreciates them.  I'm glad he found that person in you. 

I couldn’t agree more.  It was never really a goal of mine to have an entire run.  I think years ago I thought about a 1-50 run, but I never decided to go for it. Now that I have it, it’s weird.  I feel like I kinda skipped a few steps in gathering issues myself kinda.  Maybe it’s meant for me to upgrade a few.

Congrats! Spidey is such a great run to have. You need that BIG deal at some point to complete the run 

My huge step towards realizing it was possible was a huge eBay score back about 16 years ago, something like issues 120-450 for $600 ( with all the keys and all in great condition!). I just had to do everything I could to finish it at that point …. It’s still ongoing with current volume of ASM

Enjoy it !

On 1/19/2022 at 9:46 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

I couldn’t agree more.  It was never really a goal of mine to have an entire run.  I think years ago I thought about a 1-50 run, but I never decided to go for it. Now that I have it, it’s weird.  I feel like I kinda skipped a few steps in gathering issues myself kinda.  Maybe it’s meant for me to upgrade a few.

It's an awesome run. About 5 years ago I sold almost all of my ASMs. The #s I didn't have had gotten pretty pricey and I decided to prioritize other things. I do regret that decision because ASM is such a great run. 

I agree with @Wolverinex take the opportunity to read them in order. It would take some time, but what a great chance to see how that story progressed.  I love Ditko, but I think Romita Sr is actually my favorite Spidey artist. 

On 1/19/2022 at 10:46 PM, fishbone said:

Congrats! Spidey is such a great run to have. You need that BIG deal at some point to complete the run 

My huge step towards realizing it was possible was a huge eBay score back about 16 years ago, something like issues 120-450 for $600 ( with all the keys and all in great condition!). I just had to do everything I could to finish it at that point …. It’s still ongoing with current volume of ASM

Enjoy it !

Yeah, the more I’ve been thinking about it the past few days, I really might have to take the plunge and try to get a 1.  

Wow.  That was a huge score!  This is the longest run I’ve ever owned.  I’ve done Avengers and X-Men from 1-100, but this is the most complete by far.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:49 PM, KCOComics said:

It's an awesome run. About 5 years ago I sold almost all of my ASMs. The #s I didn't have had gotten pretty pricey and I decided to prioritize other things. I do regret that decision because ASM is such a great run. 

I agree with @Wolverinex take the opportunity to read them in order. It would take some time, but what a great chance to see how that story progressed.  I love Ditko, but I think Romita Sr is actually my favorite Spidey artist. 

Romita Sr is my favorite as well.  When I think of Spidey, I see his version.

On 1/19/2022 at 11:21 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Yeah, the more I’ve been thinking about it the past few days, I really might have to take the plunge and try to get a 1.  

Wow.  That was a huge score!  This is the longest run I’ve ever owned.  I’ve done Avengers and X-Men from 1-100, but this is the most complete by far.

Get that #1 soon ! You won’t regret it ……