• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Extravaganza!
3 3

78 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2022 at 11:39 AM, Primetime said:

And smell the pages ❣️

:x.  I do this at shows!  People look at me like I’m insane.  Part of it is me seeing if it has that “good” mustiness.  Part of it reminds me of being 12 and going into the comic book store down the street.  Although the books that produce that smell for the most part came out before I was born (1983) I’ve always been drawn to it.  I’ve always liked vintage over new.  I can’t really explain it.  Even as a kid I always enjoyed going to flea markets and antique stores.

On 1/20/2022 at 2:00 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

:x.  I do this at shows!  People look at me like I’m insane.  Part of it is me seeing if it has that “good” mustiness.  Part of it reminds me of being 12 and going into the comic book store down the street.  Although the books that produce that smell for the most part came out before I was born (1983) I’ve always been drawn to it.  I’ve always liked vintage over new.  I can’t really explain it.  Even as a kid I always enjoyed going to flea markets and antique stores.

same here! you can blind fold me and I can tell you if the smell is from gold, silver, or bronze - how sad (thumbsu That's the downsize to slabbing - losing the touch-feel-smell and reading of these treasures. :preach:

On 1/20/2022 at 5:53 PM, Primetime said:

same here! you can blind fold me and I can tell you if the smell is from gold, silver, or bronze - how sad (thumbsu That's the downsize to slabbing - losing the touch-feel-smell and reading of these treasures. :preach:

I’m so torn.  Over the years, I’ve bought raw and slabbed.  Once I started buying higher dollar books and learned about the possibility of restoration, I gravitated more towards buying already slabbed keys.  Mainly because I wasn’t confident in my restoration detection skills.  That being said, I’ve purchased several “big” raw books from dealers that I trust and have built a relationship with over the years.  I have absolutely no problem doing that at all.  I’m not going to lie, a CGC graded book is aesthetically pleasing to me.  But I also like a Mylar with a fullback as well.  The constant struggle.

On 1/20/2022 at 3:15 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

I’m so torn.  Over the years, I’ve bought raw and slabbed.  Once I started buying higher dollar books and learned about the possibility of restoration, I gravitated more towards buying already slabbed keys.  Mainly because I wasn’t confident in my restoration detection skills.  That being said, I’ve purchased several “big” raw books from dealers that I trust and have built a relationship with over the years.  I have absolutely no problem doing that at all.  I’m not going to lie, a CGC graded book is aesthetically pleasing to me.  But I also like a Mylar with a fullback as well.  The constant struggle.

it's a constant balance for me as well. I don't display any slabs, so I'm not into the "labels" or shiny eye appeal status. I pull a few out (slabs and Mylar) and enjoy them as I go. I still prefer the ole shiny Mylar and fullbacks :x

On 1/20/2022 at 6:44 PM, Primetime said:

it's a constant balance for me as well. I don't display any slabs, so I'm not into the "labels" or shiny eye appeal status. I pull a few out (slabs and Mylar) and enjoy them as I go. I still prefer the ole shiny Mylar and fullbacks :x

I used just about the last of my Mylar and fullbacks on all of the 12c books.  The rest of the run just got the regular resealable bags and boards.  With the way supplies are right now, I didn’t want to deplete my stock entirely.  I only have about 10 or so G/S Mylar bags and fullback boards left.  I need to try to find another pack of each.  I buy a lot of raw PCH so I need to have some available for those.

On 1/19/2022 at 7:32 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

Now what to do?  Upgrade a few, maybe?

Sell me the 2 & 3 so I can complete my run :). Great story and congrats on the pick-up.

On 1/20/2022 at 7:46 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Thank you.  You’ll complete it.  You’re almost there.  You don’t want these ratty old copies anyway :wink:.

I actually need an Annual #1 to truly complete the run but hope to get at least one of the three in 2022.

Wow what an incredible story that's awesome Ethan! I know your mind was racing when you found out you had a shot at your friend's collection. But hey man it couldn't of happened to a nicer guy man! I know you'll keep the set and upgrade when you can.  And if I know you it'll not be long before the run is completed...congrats again!

Peace

James   

On 1/20/2022 at 8:48 PM, Qtr milerocket said:

Wow what an incredible story that's awesome Ethan! I know your mind was racing when you found out you had a shot at your friend's collection. But hey man it couldn't of happened to a nicer guy man! I know you'll keep the set and upgrade when you can.  And if I know you it'll not be long before the run is completed...congrats again!

Peace

James   

Thanks my friend.  We’ll have to meet up soon so I can show you some goodies.  I’m meeting up with Bill for lunch tomorrow.  

On 1/21/2022 at 12:18 AM, speedcake said:

What a great story, and grats! To get a shot at a nearly complete run all in one go has to have been pretty thrilling as a collector. 

Thank you.  It definitely is.  Slightly overwhelming maybe, but overall very fun.

On 1/20/2022 at 7:49 PM, universal soldier said:

I actually need an Annual #1 to truly complete the run but hope to get at least one of the three in 2022.

I missed the Annual #1 when I put together my early ASM run years ago, and it's bugging me now. I'd still kinda like one but don't want to sink four figures into it. 

On 1/21/2022 at 11:51 AM, Point Five said:

I missed the Annual #1 when I put together my early ASM run years ago, and it's bugging me now. I'd still kinda like one but don't want to sink four figures into it. 

I hear you, the prices on my three remaining have been making me :cry:. I need to win the lottery or start turning tricks I think.

On 1/21/2022 at 12:23 PM, universal soldier said:

or start turning tricks I think.

Yeah, I looked into that... was told I'd only make enough to swing the Marvel Tales versions. (shrug)

On 1/20/2022 at 5:53 PM, Primetime said:

Yeah you get a little jaded from handling slabs for so long, easy to forget how small and fragile a comic is. It makes you appreciate a 50 year old 9.8 that much more.