• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collectibles Insurance
3 3

12 posts in this topic

Having read a thread now close, I will say one thing of value that came from it is collectible insurance.  As stated in my thread, I have allocated a relatively (to me) large sum of money to complete the TMNT Mirage Studios #1-#62 collection.  Already the "quest" as I'm calling it has gone into five figures with the expectation of it topping six figures before it is all said in done, by end of 23'.  

My question to the group of experts and collectors alike, is there a specific insurer that collectors have seen are head and shoulders above the rest?
Would using my local home, auto, jewelry, and boat insurer suffice?

Not wanting to over think it but honestly, asking this group questions first has already proven to be the wise and prudent approach.

Thanks as always, and wish everyone the best in their day and collection goals.

B Dubs

Edited by BDubs

On 1/19/2022 at 10:33 AM, BDubs said:

CIS seems to be exactly what I was looking for thank you.  I have a call with the under writer here in a bit and the cost appears to be in line with what I'm willing to pay.  

Thank you!

Yes CIS is the one to go with simply because they understand this better than others due to their specialty.

I agree with the other comments about CIS. They specialize in areas like comics and make things simple. Their coverage also includes (up to certain limits) your books while being shipped. I’ve never had to file a claim for lost books but I can’t think of anything worse than trying to argue with the a shipping company about the insured value of book lost in transit.

On 1/22/2022 at 1:17 PM, AndyFish said:

You should just be able to add an addendum to your homeowner's policy.  They'll want some paperwork or an evaluation but it's not the hard to do and it's not that expensive.

before i went with CIS, i spoke to the company i have homeowners with. but they wanted appraisals on my artwork. i also recall them being unclear about how comics might be valued by them should a claim occur with no appraisal. CIS needs none of that. plus books i buy and sell are covered in transit both ways. that was huge for me. 

On 1/22/2022 at 4:44 PM, alexgross.com said:

before i went with CIS, i spoke to the company i have homeowners with. but they wanted appraisals on my artwork. i also recall them being unclear about how comics might be valued by them should a claim occur with no appraisal. CIS needs none of that. plus books i buy and sell are covered in transit both ways. that was huge for me. 

Many Home insurers will allow you to endorse the Home policy with a scheduled personal property/inland marine rider.  Appraisals are typically required if an item’s value exceeds a certain amount ($3k-$10k).  Generally, all risk coverage ( unlike CIS, mysterious disappearance is covered) with no deductible and many on a stated value basis (not ACV or even replacement cost).  

i just applied for a CIS policy and it is much cheaper to endorse my home policy with broader coverage.  Premiums will depend on many factors including geography, vault/safe storage, credit score, etc

wtf is ‘mysterious disappearance’ anyway?  Like, if its stolen, it mysteriously disappeared too, no?

Just got a quote.  My home insurance rider would be slightly cheaper.  something tells me if they specialize in this type of stuff they’ll be tougher on claims.

Edited by Chester Cheetah