• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You have $1,000 to put into a CGC graded bronze...You're a new collector. Where are you putting it knowing what you know now?
4 4

178 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 2:51 PM, MAR1979 said:

As Bronze comics go now, $10,000 is the new $1,000.

BTW as I learned from the 1st Star Wars extended universe thread and how all copies of Pizzazz #1 were wiped (sold) off the web as result, I've learned never ever give out advice on this forum on what to purchase.

image.thumb.png.12980234d40d9ea575dee2358c0538f4.png

9EB4409D-9F23-4184-8B68-02105105B049.jpeg

The words from my posts there that now haunt me!

Marvel's Pizzazz 1 contains the first published Star Wars extended universe story, having been released late June 1977, 3 months before Star Wars 7 and 9 full months earlier than Splinter.

Star Wars 7 is cover dated Jan 1978. That means it first hit the newsstands in Sept 1977 or 1st week of Oct 1977 at the latest. 

Alan Dean Foster's Splinter of the Mind's Eye first went on-sale March 1978.

Pizzazz #1 was on-sale same month as Star Wars #4. This means the first Star Wars extended universe story appeared 2 months before the adaption of the film concluded in Star Wars #6 and before most had even seen the film.

Princess Leia looks like a hundred-miles of hard road in that panel with Luke

On 1/19/2022 at 5:54 PM, William-James88 said:

while not marvel, the best book for exactly what you describe is Ninja Turtles 1.

By the way, you can get a pretty decent Namor #1 for $1000, if you like the character. And it's Silver Age.

I don't feel great about Nova 1, that book is so damn plentiful, I don't see it panning out over decades.

Hell, the one Marvel character that has the most potential for the next decades is Miles Morales. You can get a good copy of Ultimate Fallour 4 for $1000. And while plentiful, I think it's more scarce than most bronze age Marvel.

This is good advice. I didn't know that about the Nova 1, just have heard all the hype about him and everyone saying HOT HOT HOT HOT. I just looked up the TMNT 1 and boy is it already sky high! I don't think $1,000 would go far there. And I thought Namor 1 was a 1990 book?

On 1/19/2022 at 12:35 PM, skyline23 said:

If your goal is to make money then I think my pick would be Tomb of Dracula 10. I think there already has been a steady  run up in price since the Blade movie was announced, but I would bet for it to pop more once he is actually seen on screen in a trailer or in a cameo in another show (maybe Moon Knight?).

I don't think you can get any halfway decent copy of TOD10 for a grand nowadays. To me any bronze should at least be a 7.0

On 1/19/2022 at 2:54 PM, William-James88 said:

Hell, the one Marvel character that has the most potential for the next decades is Miles Morales. You can get a good copy of Ultimate Fallour 4 for $1000. And while plentiful, I think it's more scarce than most bronze age Marvel.

i agree that UF4 is probably a good long term bet. its not bronze of course. but live action miles in the next spiderman movie, combined with the coming spiderverse sequel should cement him as a character whose first appearance everyone must have. 

On 1/19/2022 at 7:17 PM, KCode98 said:

This is good advice. I didn't know that about the Nova 1, just have heard all the hype about him and everyone saying HOT HOT HOT HOT. I just looked up the TMNT 1 and boy is it already sky high! I don't think $1,000 would go far there. And I thought Namor 1 was a 1990 book?

Sorry, I meant Sub Mariner 1. You can get a really nice copy for 1000.

For TMNT, copies of the second and third printing can still be obtained for 1000 in varying grades. That price will seems like a joke one day.

People are saying HOT HOT HOT for Nova so that people buy them and sellers can cash in. I'm sure it will keep going up in the short term but you never know, it could then go down like ironfist or carnage.

And while not Marvel, Batman 232 is still affordable and you can get a really nice copy of what I believe to be the biggest BA Batman key.

As a huge DC fan, I just have to say - invest in Marvel.

That said, I agree with the UF4 sentiment (even though it's not Bronze).

Edited to add: If I was given a grand that I had to spend on a book today, I'd follow @William-James88's advice and buy the Batman 232, or I'd buy a lower grade Flash 123 (but again, those are personal goals for a DC fan). I do think/hope DC will someday have its day and I've been trying to buy bigger keys as I can afford them. And I already own a UF4.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 1/19/2022 at 8:04 PM, William-James88 said:

Sorry, I meant Sub Mariner 1. You can get a really nice copy for 1000.

Do you really see any way possible he can gain popularity? I don't know of anyone both 30 years ago and now that care much about Namor or Aquaman...They're just, lame.

On 1/19/2022 at 8:05 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

As a huge DC fan, I just have to say - invest in Marvel.

Edited to add: If I was given a grand that I had to spend on a book today, I'd follow @William-James88's advice and buy the Batman 232, or I'd buy a lower grade Flash 123 (but again, those are personal goals for a DC fan). I do think/hope DC will someday have its day and I've been trying to buy bigger keys as I can afford them. And I already own a UF4.

My personal goal for Flash is 110, though I wonder is Wally being the main Flash is not something we will re-experience even though that was the status quo since I was born.

On 1/19/2022 at 8:05 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

What is the draw to Miles Morales? I'm a die hard Peter Parker fan but I know Miles has a following...

On 1/19/2022 at 8:21 PM, KCode98 said:

Do you really see any way possible he can gain popularity? I don't know of anyone both 30 years ago and now that care much about Namor or Aquaman...They're just, lame.

He will be in the MCU one day and both his first appearance and first SA appearance are no longer affordable. So he clearly has popularity in the comic world. Submariner 1 is your last chance at a good lasting Namor key.  But it's up to you.

And first Aquaman is also no longer affordable (hasn't been for a while). Although that particular book is a massive DC key beyond just him.

Edited by William-James88

On 1/19/2022 at 7:22 PM, KCode98 said:

What is the draw to Miles Morales? I'm a die hard Peter Parker fan but I know Miles has a following...

A few things:

• Still hasn't appeared in a live action movie - a lot of people know Miles, or know of him - into the Spiderverse and the PS5 game helped that a lot -  but the first appearance in a live-action really elevates that a lot, and as good as Marvel is with their movies, a character of that caliber should explode.
  • For a modern first appearance it was a relatively low print run for a first appearance - I may be wrong, but I think I've heard the run on that issue was somewhere around 45,000 (edit: @Lazyboy pointed out that I was way off - I looked it up and made a later post in this thread, but the run of first printings was just under 100,000 - still low, but not as low as I thought).
  • He ticks a lot of boxes for an ongoing character that Marvel can build on well into the future - it's a diverse character that has a lot of representation across many groups: young, Afro-Latino, etc.
  • He's a compelling and cool character, and he isn't going away for a long, long time.
Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 1/19/2022 at 8:22 PM, KCode98 said:

He is the spider-man for a new generation.  He is not a fad or a temporary replacement (like Ben Reilly). He will have his own movie trilogy and has his own video game and is fully integrated within Marvel entertainment. 

He sells to the general audience. 

On 1/19/2022 at 8:24 PM, William-James88 said:

He will be in the MCU one day and both his first appearance and first SA appearance are no longer affordable. So he clearly has popularity in the comic world. Submariner 1 is your last chance at a good lasting Namor key.  But it's up to you.

And first Aquaman is also no longer affordable (hasn't been for a while). Although that particular book is a massive DC key beyond just him.

So, Subby 1 is a Silver Age book…I think the OP asked about Bronze Age books

On 1/19/2022 at 7:29 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

So, Subby 1 is a Silver Age book…I think the OP asked about Bronze Age books

I think it's about expanding his range too - at a grand, big Bronze like IH 181 and ASM 129 are getting priced out, but some of these other options are probably more viable/a safer investment than whatever else is next up as an affordable Bronze option. This thread would maybe be better suited to general and not constrained to one time period.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 1/19/2022 at 8:24 PM, William-James88 said:

You think the MCU would bring Namor in knowing he would be a direct competitor movie wise to Aquaman? I see from now to 2040 being nothing in the MCU but Young Avengers, X-Men, and FF