• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You have $1,000 to put into a CGC graded bronze...You're a new collector. Where are you putting it knowing what you know now?
4 4

178 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 10:29 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Love Thor 337, but a 9.8 is almost a grand, and a 9.6 is around $400. I'd buy the 9.6, and have $600 left to put into something else.

buy the highest grades you can afford, IMO. Better than quantity. 

On 1/19/2022 at 9:35 PM, SuperBird said:

buy the highest grades you can afford, IMO. Better than quantity. 

I disagree somewhat, respectfully. There's some evidence for eschewing 9.8s for slightly lower grades to see a better long-term return. Some lower grades on certain books have seen a higher percentage return than the same book in a 9.8,and it allows you to diversify your investment across multiple books. You could spend $1,000 on one 9.8 book and see a 20% return, or spend $1,000 across 3 9.2 books and see a cumulative 40% return for example. It can be book dependent of course, but there's solid evidence for it. And if you have one 9.8 that dips, your whole investment dips, but if you have 3 9.2 and one dips, the other two could potentially cover your losses.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 1/19/2022 at 10:42 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I disagree somewhat, respectfully. There's some evidence eschewing 9.8s for slightly lower grades to see a better long-term return. Some lower grades on certain books have seen a higher percentage return than the same book in a 9.8,and it allows you to diversify your investment across multiple books. You could spend $1,000 on one 9.8 book and see a 20% return, or spend $1,000 across 3 9.2 books and see a cumulative 40% return for example. It can be book dependent of course, but there's solid evidence for it. And if you have one 9.8 that dips, your whole investment dips, but if you have 3 9.2 and one dips, the other two could potentially cover your losses.

There are no more dips. :sumo:

On 1/19/2022 at 10:15 PM, Morganmi said:

Yea I know it was overproduced for that time but it is a Spider-man #1 in a series that went on for decades and is a lot cheaper than a lot of the really overproduced and much more expensive 90's keys in comparison. 

Not really trying to say that any one these is a sure fire bet but really just wanted to show that the OP could get a bunch of decent books with $1k that havent really exploded yet. 

And thank you! I will get that book for sure in a high grade. This is just getting me started, I could spend more but my CC debt is limiting that right now.

I know you said bronze BUT I'd say buy a golden age LB cole or Matt Baker comic with a nice cover, maybe a popular one or one of their horror comics.  These will definitely hold value unlike some modern comics.

There's also bronze horror comics if you want to look for those and I'd say they were going up since you said bronze.

On 1/19/2022 at 7:28 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

A few things:

• Still hasn't appeared in a live action movie - a lot of people know Miles, or know of him - into the Spiderverse and the PS5 game helped that a lot -  but the first appearance in a live-action really elevates that a lot, and as good as Marvel is with their movies, a character of that caliber should explode.
  • For a modern first appearance it was a relatively low print run for a first appearance - I may be wrong, but I think I've heard the run on that issue was somewhere around 45,000. That's really very low for a book of its caliber.
  • He ticks a lot of boxes for an ongoing character that Marvel can build on well into the future - it's a diverse character that has a lot of representation across many groups: young, Afro-Latino, etc.
  • He's a compelling and cool character, and he isn't going away for a long, long time.

Yes, you're definitely wrong. It was a top seller that month.

Don't buy graded. Have someone who knows how to grade buy you the highest graded raw copies they can find of either Spider-Man pre-200 or X-Men books 108-143. Get as many as you can in uber high grade for your $1000.