• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You have $1,000 to put into a CGC graded bronze...You're a new collector. Where are you putting it knowing what you know now?
4 4

178 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2022 at 6:47 PM, jcjames said:

True, up to a point.

But nosebleed books (especially keys) are really a waste of money - 9.8s do not appreciate in value to the same degree that 8.x-9.4s appreciate. Especially for keys that have been keys for a long time, for example...

For IH181 from 2006 to 2021: 9.8 average value increased 331%, 9.4 increased 800%, 8.0 increased 977%. 

For ASM129 from 2006 to 2021: 9.8 average value increased 253%, 9.4 increased 525%, 8.0 increased 1020%

For Bat244 from 2006 to 2021: 9.8 average value increased 71%, 9.4 increased 100%, 8.0 increased 1000%

Mid/High grade books are (in most cases) a much better investment than the highest grades* (past performance does not guarantee future performance)

B|

Seriously? I would have thought shoot for the moon or stay home honestly. What is the thinking behind this? Does this just represent a certain area of money? For example when a 9.8 just gets out of range for normal people and people start focusing on what they can afford that area of grades starts to go up?

On 1/20/2022 at 4:57 PM, KCode98 said:

Seriously? I would have thought shoot for the moon or stay home honestly. What is the thinking behind this? Does this just represent a certain area of money? For example when a 9.8 just gets out of range for normal people and people start focusing on what they can afford that area of grades starts to go up?

Yes, that's sort of the idea. It happens especially when books have been keys for a while. Now if you're talking about a more recent skyrocket like Special Marvel Edition #15 (1st Shang Chi) then the 9.8s appreciate faster... up to a point and that point is often reached rather quickly. But for long-standing keys, mid/high is a sweet spot for value and ceiling. But if you have your heart set on a major key that is out of range even in mid/high range, then by all means, get what you can afford whether it be a 4.0 or 6.0. 

Personally, I'd rather have a real nice-presenting mid/high BA book, and plenty of leftover $$ for the next acquisition(s), than have the highest possible grade that won't appreciate as much in value, and that's it. 

On 1/20/2022 at 7:11 PM, jcjames said:

Yes, that's sort of the idea. It happens especially when books have been keys for a while. Now if you're talking about a more recent skyrocket like Special Marvel Edition #15 (1st Shang Chi) then the 9.8s appreciate faster... up to a point and that point is often reached rather quickly. But for long-standing keys, mid/high is a sweet spot for value and ceiling. But if you have your heart set on a major key that is out of range even in mid/high range, then by all means, get what you can afford whether it be a 4.0 or 6.0. 

Personally, I'd rather have a real nice-presenting mid/high BA book, and plenty of leftover $$ for the next acquisition(s), than have the highest possible grade that won't appreciate as much in value, and that's it. 

That is really good food for thought. Thank you!

I am wondering how you would balance this though. I know Batman: The Killing Joke is all over the videos I have seen as a hot buy now. And a 9.8 is still much in range for me so I was actually about to grab one until they get higher. I don't think in a situation like that a lesser grade would be wiser...? In your experience or others, is there a certain price range where you see this happening?

Edited by KCode98

On 1/20/2022 at 6:57 PM, KCode98 said:

Yes, basically there are more "poor" people than "rich" people.  So the larger price increases are more likely to happen at the more affordable grade level where there is a lot more demand than supply.

On 1/20/2022 at 6:47 PM, jcjames said:

True, up to a point.

But nosebleed books (especially keys) are really a waste of money - 9.8s do not appreciate in value to the same degree that 8.x-9.4s appreciate. Especially for keys that have been keys for a long time, for example...

For IH181 from 2006 to 2021: 9.8 average value increased 331%, 9.4 increased 800%, 8.0 increased 977%. 

For ASM129 from 2006 to 2021: 9.8 average value increased 253%, 9.4 increased 525%, 8.0 increased 1020%

For Bat244 from 2006 to 2021: 9.8 average value increased 71%, 9.4 increased 100%, 8.0 increased 1000%

Mid/High grade books are (in most cases) a much better investment than the highest grades* (past performance does not guarantee future performance)

B|

You can continue to lower grades too. My VG ASM annual 1 went 2000% in less than ten years.

Edited by William-James88

On 1/20/2022 at 10:19 AM, SuperBird said:

I think this is where I'd come out as well. 

It's a very strange time, to me, to start investing in comics today. Everything of "value" has run up so far so quickly, and nobody really knows how it will shake out. Plus bear in mind that comics have a lot of deficiencies compared to investing in other vehicles. They have high transaction costs, are potentially lost, damaged or stolen, not normally insured, and are heavily tax disadvantged when selling. It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback and pick out singular winners over the last 10/20/40 years, but overall unless you were extremely astute the stock market would have been a better investment. 

So basically, I think just buy what you love and think in those terms, and if they make money, then great! 

:manhero:

100% agree! 

This turned out to be a thought-provoking thread, as I am actually looking to start a new collection "from scratch"... right now leaning towards a box of raw mid-grade Marvel SA books. Figuring $20 average a pop would get me a nice collection, $1k all-in... 

Edited by SuperBird

On 1/21/2022 at 7:36 AM, SuperBird said:

This turned out to be a thought-provoking thread, as I am actually looking to start a new collection "from scratch"... right now leaning towards a box of raw mid-grade Marvel SA books. Figuring $20 average a pop would get me a nice collection, $1k all-in... 

I’ve completely started over with 1K

Bought 2 copies of NM 98, which I hope to roll over into a $1500 book I’m after this year. :wishluck:

On 1/20/2022 at 5:14 PM, KCode98 said:

That is really good food for thought. Thank you!

I am wondering how you would balance this though. I know Batman: The Killing Joke is all over the videos I have seen as a hot buy now. And a 9.8 is still much in range for me so I was actually about to grab one until they get higher. I don't think in a situation like that a lesser grade would be wiser...? In your experience or others, is there a certain price range where you see this happening?

Okay a couple things at play with BTKJ, 1) it's CA, newer than BA, 2) it's paper/binding format lends itself to higher grades (there are over 60 9.9/10 grades for this book). 

Having said that, over the past 15 years, BTKJ 9.8 has appreciated over 600% in value, 9.4 has appreciated over 900% in value and 8.0 has appreciated over 1000% in value. So the same rules apply, as books appreciate in actual dollar value, that higher price-point means some buyers are topped out and shift to the next lower grade in their price range. 

Although a 9.8 is still well within your price range of $1000, the question is - are you looking for one big key book of highest grade you can afford for $1000 or are you looking for nice-presenting big key books you really like that will also appreciate in value the most? 

Still not sure what you want though - nice-presenting personal favorite key BA book(s)? A single $1000 nosebleed graded BA key? BA key(s) with the most chance of appreciating in monetary value? 

Edited by jcjames

On 1/21/2022 at 10:39 AM, jcjames said:

Although a 9.8 is still well within your price range of $1000, the question is - are you looking for one big key book of highest grade you can afford for $1000 or are you looking for nice-presenting big key books you really like that will also appreciate in value the most? 

I think the later part would be a smarter investment maybe 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:14 AM, KCode98 said:

I think the later part would be a smarter investment maybe 

My 2c... buy what you like, in a nice-presenting grade that you can afford, and nevermind the nosebleed grades. 

Also don't discount buying good-looking raw books. More bang for your buck that way too. Pretty much the only reason I've bought graded books is for the resto-check when I can't inspect the book itself in-person or when I'm not sure of the reputation of the seller. 

Edited by jcjames

On 1/21/2022 at 11:45 AM, jcjames said:

My 2c... buy what you like, in a nice-presenting grade that you can afford, and nevermind the nosebleed grades. 

Also don't discount buying good-looking raw books. More bang for your buck that way too. Pretty much the only reason I've bought graded books is for the resto-check when I can't inspect the book itself in-person or when I'm not sure of the reputation of the seller. 

That's the problem, I don't have many opportunities to look at raw books in person. And if you look at raw online then you are taking a bit of a chance I'd say. 

On 1/21/2022 at 12:53 PM, jcjames said:

ASM252 9.4 ~$350, 

Lots of good Cap SA issues still affordable in midgrades, CAP100, 109-111, 117

I have such a hard time paying nosebleed prices for the "common" 1968 Marvel new wave books.

On 1/21/2022 at 1:00 PM, piper said:

I have such a hard time paying nosebleed prices for the "common" 1968 Marvel new wave books.

I can see your point, but the OP has $1000 burning a hole in his pocket so might as well steer him to books that are quality midgrade keys that will likely not crash in value.