• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You have $1,000 to put into a CGC graded bronze...You're a new collector. Where are you putting it knowing what you know now?
4 4

178 posts in this topic

Well I'm really playing catch up. Hate how late I am to the party but it is what it is. If you knowing what you know now had $1,000 to put into any bronze aged CGC book, where are you putting it and why? Figure this might get me on the right track.

I was going to think silver age but I don't think $1,000 would go too far there. 

I regret to say you probably should consider potential future movie hype.  You also should be thinking about a very high-grade book or books, since it's Bronze and there are just more of them around.  X-94 is a good suggestion.  WWBN 32?  Something from ASM like #124? Something from FF, maybe #116 because of the Doom appearance?

Conan the Barbarian #23 would probably be my pick. You can still get a 9.4 for under a grand. 

There are also a lot of DC books that are way undervalued compared to Marvel. Whether or not they will ever go up is hard to say. DC Comics Presents #26 you can get a 9.6 and have money left over. 

Fantasy Quarterly #1 is another favorite of mine. You might still be able to get a 9.6 for a grand if you hurry. 

If your goal is to make money then I think my pick would be Tomb of Dracula 10. I think there already has been a steady  run up in price since the Blade movie was announced, but I would bet for it to pop more once he is actually seen on screen in a trailer or in a cameo in another show (maybe Moon Knight?).

On 1/19/2022 at 5:35 PM, skyline23 said:

If your goal is to make money then I think my pick would be Tomb of Dracula 10. I think there already has been a steady  run up in price since the Blade movie was announced, but I would bet for it to pop more once he is actually seen on screen in a trailer or in a cameo in another show (maybe Moon Knight?).

I don't want to flip. I'm wanting a solid book (the best option) to hold onto for decades 

On 1/19/2022 at 3:33 PM, KCode98 said:

Well I'm really playing catch up. Hate how late I am to the party but it is what it is. If you knowing what you know now had $1,000 to put into any bronze aged CGC book, where are you putting it and why? Figure this might get me on the right track.

I was going to think silver age but I don't think $1,000 would go too far there. 

Depends the book, $1000 could get you pretty far depending what you want. Like if you want the first Metal Men. But I'm not recomending that.

Instead I am thinking She Hulk 1 for Bronze Age

Edited by William-James88

On 1/19/2022 at 5:49 PM, shadroch said:

What is it that you think a one time $1,000 investment is going to do for you?

As Bronze comics go now, $10,000 is the new $1,000.

BTW as I learned from the 1st Star Wars extended universe thread and how all copies of Pizzazz #1 were wiped (sold) off the web as result, I've learned never ever give out advice on this forum on what to purchase.

image.thumb.png.12980234d40d9ea575dee2358c0538f4.png

9EB4409D-9F23-4184-8B68-02105105B049.jpeg

The words from my posts there that now haunt me!

Marvel's Pizzazz 1 contains the first published Star Wars extended universe story, having been released late June 1977, 3 months before Star Wars 7 and 9 full months earlier than Splinter.

Star Wars 7 is cover dated Jan 1978. That means it first hit the newsstands in Sept 1977 or 1st week of Oct 1977 at the latest. 

Alan Dean Foster's Splinter of the Mind's Eye first went on-sale March 1978.

Pizzazz #1 was on-sale same month as Star Wars #4. This means the first Star Wars extended universe story appeared 2 months before the adaption of the film concluded in Star Wars #6 and before most had even seen the film.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/19/2022 at 5:47 PM, KCode98 said:

I don't want to flip. I'm wanting a solid book (the best option) to hold onto for decades 

while not marvel, the best book for exactly what you describe is Ninja Turtles 1.

By the way, you can get a pretty decent Namor #1 for $1000, if you like the character. And it's Silver Age.

I don't feel great about Nova 1, that book is so damn plentiful, I don't see it panning out over decades.

Hell, the one Marvel character that has the most potential for the next decades is Miles Morales. You can get a good copy of Ultimate Fallour 4 for $1000. And while plentiful, I think it's more scarce than most bronze age Marvel.

On 1/19/2022 at 3:57 PM, William-James88 said:

By the way I spent $1000 on a single book today too (well, $1000 Canadian). It was Captain Marvel Adventures 2 from 1941. Very scarce and a great book to hold onto for decades, which is what I will do.

I used to buy Schomburg Timelys and Mac Raboy Captain Marvel Juniors. The Schomburgs have gone thru the roof while the Raboys have barely doubled in a decade.  I have zero confidence in Fawcetts appreciating well going forward. Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't see them as good investment material.

On 1/19/2022 at 6:10 PM, shadroch said:

I used to buy Schomburg Timelys and Mac Raboy Captain Marvel Juniors. The Schomburgs have gone thru the roof while the Raboys have barely doubled in a decade.  I have zero confidence in Fawcetts appreciating well going forward. Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't see them as good investment material.

They aren't good investment material, I just like them. I mean, think about it, these are Golden Age comics of superhero characters still around today and in high budget films, and most of it is still affordable. That's wild! I much preffer the Raboy covers over most Schomburgs. And the fact that they haven't gone up by much means they are still affordable for me today :) By the way, if you want to sell any Raboy Captain marvel Jrs, let me know :)