• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You have $1,000 to put into a CGC graded bronze...You're a new collector. Where are you putting it knowing what you know now?
4 4

178 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2022 at 9:17 AM, jcjames said:

You mentioned you like black-suit spidey and Cap. So what did you end up getting? 

Well I'm a huge cover art fan, I just love a good cover on a comic. With that said I also like Daredevil and brown/orange Wolverine is my second favorite costume he has ever had. So for $140 this is mine...

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

On 1/24/2022 at 2:10 PM, KCode98 said:

Well I'm a huge cover art fan, I just love a good cover on a comic. With that said I also like Daredevil and brown/orange Wolverine is my second favorite costume he has ever had. So for $140 this is mine...

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Wolverine having eye holes is making me twitch.

But very cool pickup!

I buy 9.8s too sometimes, but I go more for modern than bronze age, here's a recent pick up of mine:

Item #52321495 Front Cover: Thanos #13G CGC 9.8

It was $70, felt that was fair.

Edited by William-James88

On 1/24/2022 at 9:57 AM, William-James88 said:

Depends if you think Miles Morales is as big a draw as any of the Young Avengers. Personally, I think Miles Morales is more popular and more people will want his first appearance. He's already fully integrated within the licensing machine and for many kids (including mine), he is their spider-man. So lots of potential for nostalgia in 20-30 years from now.

But then again, I think that modern comics won't be worth as much in 20 years as they are now, due to lack of scarcity (past history says I am dead wrong about this though, so we'll see).

Yeah my kids always know SM by Pete. Weren't to fond of Into the SpiderVerse. They watch all the non animated SM movies all the time and do not play the video game, so that could be why.

On 1/24/2022 at 1:37 PM, William-James88 said:

Wolverine having eye holes is making me twitch.

But very cool pickup!

I buy 9.8s too sometimes, but I go more for modern than bronze age, here's a recent pick up of mine:

Item #52321495 Front Cover: Thanos #13G CGC 9.8

It was $70, felt that was fair.

Indeed fair...

It would seem 9.8 is difficult. I've got a 4th print 9.6 that I subbed. I settled for 9.6, 1st pint. Seemingly right up the correct alley. Yet your 9.8 is :whatthe:

That is a sweet piece of real estate  :)

On 1/24/2022 at 12:57 PM, William-James88 said:

But then again, I think that modern comics won't be worth as much in 20 years as they are now, due to lack of scarcity (past history says I am dead wrong about this though, so we'll see).

I AGREE!!! I don't think silver age books will continue to go up in value, there has to be a peak and then decline. This actually reminds me of firearms collecting. A Colt single action army will have (older) collectors spending tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars (and more) on a single Colt single action army revolver. Reason being IMO is they all remember growing up watching spaghetti westerns on TV. Likewise, I bet the majority of silver age comic collectors are men 50+ age. And I could be completely wrong here...

So I can see the next big comics with values being bronze and copper age. Me personally I absolutely love 80's and 90's comics because that is the era I grew up and collected them.

But I'm with you, after the internet blew up and collecting became a much easier thing to do, CGC encapsulated the books and graded them...Anything much after that there has to be a huge supply which will always keep the price down because with value you have to have 2 things...Supply and demand. So IF any future modern age (I would say post 2000) books will be big hitters they will have to be something no one cares about now and will later blow up. 

Again, I could be completely wrong. But overall, yes I agree with you.

On 1/24/2022 at 6:20 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Indeed fair...

It would seem 9.8 is difficult. I've got a 4th print 9.6 that I subbed. I settled for 9.6, 1st pint. Seemingly right up the correct alley. Yet your 9.8 is :whatthe:

That is a sweet piece of real estate  :)

I was very happy to get it. I wanted either 2nd or 3rd print since this is the type of book where people could prefer having the cover with the character that defines it being key. I know I do.

On 1/24/2022 at 7:23 PM, William-James88 said:

I was very happy to get it. I wanted either 2nd or 3rd print since this is the type of book where people could prefer having the cover with the character that defines it being key. I know I do.

Amen. Good snag. I was commenting just for that reason, that he graces the cover! Cool

On 1/24/2022 at 11:10 AM, KCode98 said:
On 1/24/2022 at 6:17 AM, jcjames said:

You mentioned you like black-suit spidey and Cap. So what did you end up getting? 

Always . . . Buy what you LIKE. :sumo::peace:

On 1/19/2022 at 10:41 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

:tonofbricks:

19844C1FEC1D-4578-4EBA-A1E9-ECC4FDCD235F.jpeg.ff4b18e1bf9e8a6de2ebfacd49882e58.jpeg

I completed a couple trades on this book in slabbed form only 13 months ago now. This is not going to be a revelation for most on here but blue label 9.8s could be had for $900ish give or take. And SS depending on signature(s) were going anywhere from $1100 to $1400. Now the blue labels are pushing nearly $2K and SS $3K+. For only 13 months this is an incredible uptick. At this point, I have picked up a decent NMish raw but missed the proverbial boat on this one. 

The best possible key from X-Men, signed by Claremont and Stan Lee. 

Ideally you get something in the Byrne era. 

125, 130, 131, 133, 134, 135, 137, 142. 

Only in 9.8 SS

Other Byrne keys are most likely too expensive, but there are gold in them hills. Saw a 134 and 135 SS 9.8 signed by both go for $600. A steal 

On 1/31/2022 at 9:06 AM, D2 said:

The best possible key from X-Men, signed by Claremont and Stan Lee. 

Ideally you get something in the Byrne era. 

125, 130, 131, 133, 134, 135, 137, 142. 

Only in 9.8 SS

Other Byrne keys are most likely too expensive, but there are gold in them hills. Saw a 134 and 135 SS 9.8 signed by both go for $600. A steal 

Why do you say signed? I'm torn on if I think signed books bring more or less in the long run. Like for example if I was buying a silver aged book I wouldn't want it signed by anyone.

On 1/31/2022 at 7:11 PM, KCode98 said:

Why do you say signed? I'm torn on if I think signed books bring more or less in the long run. Like for example if I was buying a silver aged book I wouldn't want it signed by anyone.

I definitely think it’s a personal preference and there are a lot of guys out there that hate signatures, true. 

For me, 1) I am more of a collectible guy. I’m not a museum, so having the most pristine copy of a book, just for having it, isn’t special to me. That’s what I mean by museum, let the museums hold on to them. Having a collectible that has touched the hands of the creators… now that’s special. 
2) I am also artistic, and never pursued anything in the comic industry, but I have a true passion, love, and respect for those creators that did, and do. I want their signature when I meet them, and shake their hand, and congratulate them on amazing work. 3) Kind of my overarching point when it comes to money… If you have Babe Ruth’s rookie card, or Babe Ruth’s rookie card signed by him… the first edition of Lord of the Rings, signed by Tolkien… anything ever signed, over time, becomes more and more rare. 

There will always be more blue labels than yellow labels of any given book. Unless that book was designed specifically for the SS series lol, like… DKR #1 NYCC variant foil. Frank was there and that book was designed and planned for this program. I think fewer blue labels exist. Which is crazy

On 1/30/2022 at 11:36 AM, Jayman said:

Short Order Comix # 1.jpg

Nice copy of the first appearance of any content that ended in Maus (Prisoner in the Hell Planet)!

My slab is my undercopy of that, but Funny Aminals is the first  "Maus" story - an early version that was expanded.

345438199_IMG_1160(004).thumb.jpg.087321e6e1daa7a1336a96a0d368931a.jpg

Edited by sfcityduck