• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your D&D OA
4 4

245 posts in this topic

Update: This thread still kickin' for over a year. There's a lot of good art herein, enjoy!

Two folders full -

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=219187

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=194413

Edited by exitmusicblue

On 1/22/2022 at 9:25 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I really wish I could put my hands on some of Jeff Dee's original art from the modules and manuals in the late 70s, early 80s.  But from what I understand it's all missing/destroyed.  :(

That is sad to hear.  I would love to own this one.

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 10.29.45 AM.png

Ha, this is most certainly a fishing expedition ;)

Lack of replies is telling, not much floating in the marketplace and those holding are clearly smart in not posting lest they want an inbox of inquiries. I remember a few years back someone posted a load of Elmore interiors to the Dragonlance modules on CAF. They were pretty quickly removed (and sold I am told to The Whale).

I think for many who grew up in the 70s and 80s these early, simpler module and rulebook pieces have tremendous nostalgia. Awesome as they are, peak awesome, for me, is the Dragonlance work by Elmore. Willingham's particular black and white interiors were also quite amazing. 

I read years ago (I forget where) that the early days of TSR were a bit... disorganized.  And the artists would send their work in and it was put into a closet in the offices in Lake Geneva, WI.  At some point they moved and apparently cleaned house.  It's assumed that someone cleared out the art for artists that didn't insist on getting it back.  And by cleared out, it's assumed to have been put in the garbage.

I seem to remember Jeff Dee recounting this in one of his kickstarter campaigns to recreate the original work.  I'm sure there's someone out there that knows better than I but this is just my recollection.

Still, there's enough uncertainty about the specifics that one day, someone's grandkids could show up with it all.  Who knows?  (shrug)

On 1/23/2022 at 6:50 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I read years ago (I forget where) that the early days of TSR were a bit... disorganized.  And the artists would send their work in and it was put into a closet in the offices in Lake Geneva, WI.  At some point they moved and apparently cleaned house.  It's assumed that someone cleared out the art for artists that didn't insist on getting it back.  And by cleared out, it's assumed to have been put in the garbage.

I seem to remember Jeff Dee recounting this in one of his kickstarter campaigns to recreate the original work.  I'm sure there's someone out there that knows better than I but this is just my recollection.

Still, there's enough uncertainty about the specifics that one day, someone's grandkids could show up with it all.  Who knows?  (shrug)

The documentary "Eye of the Beholder" which I watched through Amazon Prime streaming, had a lot of discussion of artwork and a mention of the closing of the Lake Geneva warehouse. It seems when a large metal storage cabinet was moved, stored behind it against the wall were several pieces of artwork including the original Players Handbook Cover. 

Oh wait...you can watch the whole thing on YouTube now: 

On 1/24/2022 at 10:11 AM, comix4fun said:

The documentary "Eye of the Beholder" which I watched through Amazon Prime streaming, had a lot of discussion of artwork and a mention of the closing of the Lake Geneva warehouse. It seems when a large metal storage cabinet was moved, stored behind it against the wall were several pieces of artwork including the original Players Handbook Cover. 

Oh wait...you can watch the whole thing on YouTube now: 

any idea where in the video that discussion might be?

On 1/23/2022 at 9:39 AM, cstojano said:

Ha, this is most certainly a fishing expedition ;)

Lack of replies is telling, not much floating in the marketplace and those holding are clearly smart in not posting lest they want an inbox of inquiries. I remember a few years back someone posted a load of Elmore interiors to the Dragonlance modules on CAF. They were pretty quickly removed (and sold I am told to The Whale).

I think for many who grew up in the 70s and 80s these early, simpler module and rulebook pieces have tremendous nostalgia. Awesome as they are, peak awesome, for me, is the Dragonlance work by Elmore. Willingham's particular black and white interiors were also quite amazing. 

I weep for those lost Elmores, and kick myself for not having been more alert.

Pretty sure any of his Chronicles or Legends covers would hit 6 figures easy at auction.

On 1/23/2022 at 11:22 AM, -m said:

I have the Gelatinous Cube from Monster Manual 2nd edition, plus a bunch of other monsters, and a Ravenloft cover prelim.

Here's the cube, and I will take a look for some more scans.

560910886_DD003(1)-1-1.jpg.b2777d16f636fbcccc2639a3d2cd0dfb.jpg

Ahem, if any are available, I am but a "DM" away...*

*Extortionate pricing possible depending on the art.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:09 PM, exitmusicblue said:

I weep for those lost Elmores, and kick myself for not having been more alert.

Pretty sure any of his Chronicles or Legends covers would hit 6 figures easy at auction.

I think so too. They are "one and done" pieces for me and I am sure many others, so stretching would be worth it. All academic at this point. 

On 1/24/2022 at 9:59 AM, Bronty said:

any idea where in the video that discussion might be?

Just watch the whole thing...it's great. lol 

Seriously though I can't remember it was over a year ago I watched it. 

On 1/25/2022 at 6:33 PM, comix4fun said:

Just watch the whole thing...it's great. lol 

Seriously though I can't remember it was over a year ago I watched it. 

Ok thanks anyways.

I don’t think I can watch the whole thing.   Too long :)

On 1/26/2022 at 6:03 AM, Bronty said:

Ok thanks anyways.

I don’t think I can watch the whole thing.   Too long :)

I planned on watching it again. I'll try to note the time when they hit that topic.