• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your D&D OA
4 4

245 posts in this topic

I guess I should note that while I don't collect MTG art, I saw a few sales on the MTG art market.    These are brand new, off the easel artworks for a MTG/ D&D crossover card set.     

#1 Drizzt painting auctioned at 155k

UPDATE: We are at $155,000.00.
Auction time. Well this was a totally unexpected preview today. I have the distinct pleasure to offer the original painting for Drizzt Do'Urden Legendary Elf Ranger of the Forgotten Realms world that will appear in the upcoming DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: ADVENTURES IN THE FORGOTTEN REALMS Magic the Gathering set. Drizzt appears with every D & D fans most beloved companion, Guenhwyvar. They are in mid battle with a tremendous Frost Giant. Drizzt is wielding both Icingdeath and Twinkle, he legendary swords. I do not think there are two more popular and loved characters in all of D & D.
It is 24 x 30 inches done in Oils on cradled masonite. Starting the auction now and it ends at 11:00pm Eastern New York time on Sunday May 23rd (my birthday). We have our opening bid of $10,000.00. Please bid in $100 minimum increases. Any bid made within the last 10 minutes of the end will cause the auction to extend 10 minutes from that bid time until there are no bids for a full 10 minutes. If I do not know you and you have no reference in the art market, you will be required to make a fully refundable 10% deposit (if you loose) on Pay Pal. This is for the safety of all bidders. Payment will be made directly to Tyler by bank transfer, or Pay Pal friends or family, or Pay Pal purchase adding 4%. If international, payment must be made by bank wire transfer. Shipping will be by UPS or Fed Ex and price will depend on final price and where you are located on this planet. Pm me, Mark Aronowitz. Thanks, Mark and Tyler Jacobson.

#2   Tiamat A Sold privately
Thank you all for the landslide of offers we received. The piece has been sold.
Tyler Jacobson has asked me to offer the original painting for sale for Tiamat the legendary dragon god of the Forgotten Realms world that will appear in the upcoming DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: ADVENTURES IN THE FORGOTTEN REALMS Magic the Gathering set. It is 24 by 36 inches done in oil paint on cradled gessoboard. Accepting offers through pm directly to me only until 10:00pm Eastern New York time on Saturday May 8th. High offer will take it home. Payment will be made directly to Tyler by bank transfer. Shipping will be by UPS or Fed Ex and price will depend on final price and where you are located on this planet. Pm me, Mark Aronowitz. Thanks, Mark and Tyler Jacobson.

#3 Tiamat B auctioned for $65k

UPDATE: We are at $65,000.00.
Auction time. Well this was an unexpected preview yesterday. I have the distinct pleasure to offer the original painting for Tiamat the legendary dragon god of the Forgotten Realms world that will appear in the upcoming DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: ADVENTURES IN THE FORGOTTEN REALMS Magic the Gathering set. Here is what Chris had to say about this Majestic Creature.
This was one of those rare assignments where I was genuinely stunned when I got it. Having worked on a lot of D&D concept art, spent a ton of time with my friends on that team (and of course having seen the D&D cartoon :)), I knew immediately what a big deal it was to be asked to paint Tiamat. My goal from the start was to go as epic as possible, pushing her scale and power in a way that felt cinematic and captures a sliver of what it would actually feel like if you were there seeing her in person. This thing was a blast to paint and because I was given so much freedom it feels almost like personal work. Alright, enough rambling from me 🙂
Thanks and happy bidding!
-Chris
It is 24 x 30 inches done in Oils on cradled masonite. Starting the auction now and it ends at 11:00pm Eastern New York time on Wednesday May 12th. We are looking for a $999 opening bid. Please bid in $100 minimum increases. Any bid made within the last 10 minutes of the end will cause the auction to extend 10 minutes from that bid time until there are no bids for a full 10 minutes. If I do not know you and you have no reference in the art market, you will be required to make a fully refundable 10% deposit (if you loose) on Pay Pal. This is for the safety of all bidders. Payment will be made directly to Chris by bank transfer, or Pay Pal friends or family, or Pay Pal purchase adding 4%. If international, payment must be made by bank wire transfer. Shipping will be by UPS or Fed Ex and price will depend on final price and where you are located on this planet. Pm me, Mark Aronowitz. Thanks, Mark and Chris Rahn.

#4 Golden Dragon auctioned for 65k

UPDATE: We are at $65,000
Auction time. I have the distinct pleasure to offer the original painting for Adult Gold Dragon from the upcoming DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: ADVENTURES IN THE FORGOTTEN REALMS Magic the Gathering set. Here is what Chris had to say about this Majestic Creature.
This was a really exciting (and challenging) assignment. After mulling it over a bit I decided that I wanted to showcase the unusual wing anatomy of D&D's gold dragons, reflecting the warm light of sunset. I took a lot of inspiration from wildlife photography and what it would be like to just be minding your own business on the shore of some mountain lake when this unbelievable creature passes by. Just catching a brief glimpse of it going about it's business.
It is 24 x 30 inches done in Oils on cradled masonite. Starting the auction now and it ends at 11:00pm Eastern New York time on Monday July 5th.We are looking for a $1000.00 opening bid. Please bid in $100 minimum increases. Any bid made within the last 10 minutes of the end will cause the auction to extend 10 minutes from that bid time until there are no bids for a full 10 minutes. If I do not know you and you have no reference in the art market, you will be required to make a fully refundable 10% deposit (if you loose) on Pay Pal. This is for the safety of all bidders. Payment will be made directly to Chris by bank transfer, or Pay Pal friends or family, or Pay Pal purchase adding 4%. If international, payment must be made by bank wire transfer. Shipping will be by UPS or Fed Ex and price will depend on final price and where you are located on this planet. Pm me, Mark Aronowitz. Thanks, Mark and Chris Rahn.

#5 Storm Giants 23,500 at auction

UPDATE: We are at $23,500
I have the distinct pleasure to offer Alex Stone’s first original Magic the Gathering painting. It is for Hall of Storm Giants from the upcoming DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: ADVENTURES IN THE FORGOTTEN REALMS Magic the Gathering set. The card pays homage to the classic Dungeon Modules. So cool for both a D & D and Magic lover.
Medium and details are:
Acrylic on cradled board
40cm x 60cm or 15.74 inches x 23.62 inches
3.5cm deep cradle board
Starting the auction now and it ends at 11:00pm Eastern New York time on Sunday July 11th. We are looking for a $4000 opening bid. Please bid in $100 minimum increases. Any bid made within the last 10 minutes of the end will cause the auction to extend 10 minutes from that bid time until there are no bids for a full 10 minutes. If I do not know you and you have no reference in the art market, you will be required to make a fully refundable 10% deposit (if you loose) on Pay Pal. This is for the safety of all bidders. Payment will be made directly to Alex by bank transfer, or Pay Pal friends or family, or Pay Pal purchase adding 5%. If international, payment must be made by bank wire transfer. Shipping will be Fed Ex or DHL and price will depend on final price and where you are located on this planet compared to Alex in Australia. Pm me, Mark Aronowitz. Thanks, Mark and Alex.

#6 Mordenkainen Donato Giancola 105,000 at auction

Update:
SOLD $105,000 to PM1
Auction ended Sunday July 11th 11:30pm EST
Mordenkainen the Wizard
Planeswalker
34” x 25” Oil on Panel, framed
Art Director: Zack Stella
Auction details at bottom of post.
I am honored to present the portrait of Planeswalker Mordenkainen from the Adventures in the Forgotten Realms D&D expansion. This painting is my most detailed and masterfully executed Magic: The Gathering cards as well as one of the finest portraits to grace my portfolio.
This portrait of Mordenkainen envelopes so much of what I love about my career as an artist - from portraiture, to narrative storytelling, rendering of reflective surfaces, dramatic lighting effects, and most importantly conveying a sense of wonder and mystery. We may never know what the wizard was working upon as we interrupted his contemplative thoughts in his study, but we can be certain we will feel the wrath of his ire!
Ever since discovering Dungeons and Dragons in my youth, I have enjoyed the complexities, challenges, and excitement of role-playing the character class of wizards. This portrait represents the deep passion I have for gaming and the art creation infused within my youth around roleplaying. It was this wellspring I returned to again and again as this work evolved.
Reaching back deep into those wizardry gaming roots are a set of bookends I created during my hard-core D&D days, with one side a diorama composed with the elements from Grenadier’s ‘Wizard’s Room’ lead figurine miniature set. I loved to paint these miniatures, owning handfuls of the diverse sets produced, and enjoyed endless hours of enjoyment in use in our campaigns.
Due to the lack of access to proper art supplies as a young artist, all small details on these figurines were rendered and applied with sharpened toothpicks. I am happy to state those logistical hurdles are no longer a hinderance in my art creation now! I have long ago learned that proper tools are part of the pathway to creating masterful, professional works of art.
To those ends, as this painting came closer to finish, a proper frame was needed to house this image and complement its craftsmanship. Masterworks Frames in Utah was commissioned to create a customized silver frame with a slight accent of dark blue in the broad field of the frame.
I am proud to now publicly share this major work with you and the Magic community!
Ps. The final image sent to wizards has a digitally added 'Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound'. I felt that the inclusion of the hound in the oil painting would weaken the ambiguous nature to Mordenkainen’s spell work and take focus away from him as a portrait of a powerful wizard.
Auction ends Sunday July 11th 11:30pm EST with any bids in the final 5 minutes extending closing time by an additional 5 minutes.
Buy It Now: $150,000 active starting Wednesday July 7th at 11:00pm EST, ending at Sunday July 11th 11:30pm EST (will NOT be active if auction goes into overtime). Any party interested in the BIN before the start time on July 7th may contact me directly. If there are two or more interested parties, a private auction will then proceed.
BIN price will include ALL the preliminaries for this work - abstract, rough red-toned concept, final grey-toned preliminary, blue-toned Hound, and acrylic color study (Wizard’s Room diorama NOT included).
Shipping fee $125 here in the United States via FedEx Ground. Overseas upon request.
Minimum Bid increases at $1000. Wire/Bank Transfer preferred for final payment, but other options possible. Bids may be made here in Comments, Private Message, or email at: arts@donatoarts.com

On 6/6/2022 at 12:37 PM, Superhero said:

Me too.  I have a few copies since I wore out my original version with the Melnibonean and Cthulhu Mythos I had to buy another that was as pristine as I could find. 

Same. I have 2 1st prints, 4 2nd prints (both printings are the 144 page Cthulu/Menibonean versions) and 1 3rd print (which is my OO copy) ....and to complete my madness I bought a $9.99 print on demand spiral bound copy to read and that came with a free PDF version just in case I wanted to see it on my computer screen or e-reader too. 

lol 

On 6/6/2022 at 11:26 AM, Bronty said:

I guess I should note that while I don't collect MTG art, I saw a few sales on the MTG art market.    These are brand new, off the easel artworks for a MTG/ D&D crossover card set.     

#1 Drizzt painting auctioned at 155k

UPDATE: We are at $155,000.00.
Auction time. Well this was a totally unexpected preview today. I have the distinct pleasure to offer the original painting for Drizzt Do'Urden Legendary Elf Ranger of the Forgotten Realms world that will appear in the upcoming DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: ADVENTURES IN THE FORGOTTEN REALMS Magic the Gathering set. Drizzt appears with every D & D fans most beloved companion, Guenhwyvar. They are in mid battle with a tremendous Frost Giant. Drizzt is wielding both Icingdeath and Twinkle, he legendary swords. I do not think there are two more popular and loved characters in all of D & D.
It is 24 x 30 inches done in Oils on cradled masonite. Starting the auction now and it ends at 11:00pm Eastern New York time on Sunday May 23rd (my birthday). We have our opening bid of $10,000.00. Please bid in $100 minimum increases. Any bid made within the last 10 minutes of the end will cause the auction to extend 10 minutes from that bid time until there are no bids for a full 10 minutes. If I do not know you and you have no reference in the art market, you will be required to make a fully refundable 10% deposit (if you loose) on Pay Pal. This is for the safety of all bidders. Payment will be made directly to Tyler by bank transfer, or Pay Pal friends or family, or Pay Pal purchase adding 4%. If international, payment must be made by bank wire transfer. Shipping will be by UPS or Fed Ex and price will depend on final price and where you are located on this planet. Pm me, Mark Aronowitz. Thanks, Mark and Tyler Jacobson.

#2   Tiamat A Sold privately
Thank you all for the landslide of offers we received. The piece has been sold.
Tyler Jacobson has asked me to offer the original painting for sale for Tiamat the legendary dragon god of the Forgotten Realms world that will appear in the upcoming DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: ADVENTURES IN THE FORGOTTEN REALMS Magic the Gathering set. It is 24 by 36 inches done in oil paint on cradled gessoboard. Accepting offers through pm directly to me only until 10:00pm Eastern New York time on Saturday May 8th. High offer will take it home. Payment will be made directly to Tyler by bank transfer. Shipping will be by UPS or Fed Ex and price will depend on final price and where you are located on this planet. Pm me, Mark Aronowitz. Thanks, Mark and Tyler Jacobson.

#3 Tiamat B auctioned for $65k

UPDATE: We are at $65,000.00.
Auction time. Well this was an unexpected preview yesterday. I have the distinct pleasure to offer the original painting for Tiamat the legendary dragon god of the Forgotten Realms world that will appear in the upcoming DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: ADVENTURES IN THE FORGOTTEN REALMS Magic the Gathering set. Here is what Chris had to say about this Majestic Creature.
This was one of those rare assignments where I was genuinely stunned when I got it. Having worked on a lot of D&D concept art, spent a ton of time with my friends on that team (and of course having seen the D&D cartoon :)), I knew immediately what a big deal it was to be asked to paint Tiamat. My goal from the start was to go as epic as possible, pushing her scale and power in a way that felt cinematic and captures a sliver of what it would actually feel like if you were there seeing her in person. This thing was a blast to paint and because I was given so much freedom it feels almost like personal work. Alright, enough rambling from me 🙂
Thanks and happy bidding!
-Chris
It is 24 x 30 inches done in Oils on cradled masonite. Starting the auction now and it ends at 11:00pm Eastern New York time on Wednesday May 12th. We are looking for a $999 opening bid. Please bid in $100 minimum increases. Any bid made within the last 10 minutes of the end will cause the auction to extend 10 minutes from that bid time until there are no bids for a full 10 minutes. If I do not know you and you have no reference in the art market, you will be required to make a fully refundable 10% deposit (if you loose) on Pay Pal. This is for the safety of all bidders. Payment will be made directly to Chris by bank transfer, or Pay Pal friends or family, or Pay Pal purchase adding 4%. If international, payment must be made by bank wire transfer. Shipping will be by UPS or Fed Ex and price will depend on final price and where you are located on this planet. Pm me, Mark Aronowitz. Thanks, Mark and Chris Rahn.

#4 Golden Dragon auctioned for 65k

UPDATE: We are at $65,000
Auction time. I have the distinct pleasure to offer the original painting for Adult Gold Dragon from the upcoming DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: ADVENTURES IN THE FORGOTTEN REALMS Magic the Gathering set. Here is what Chris had to say about this Majestic Creature.
This was a really exciting (and challenging) assignment. After mulling it over a bit I decided that I wanted to showcase the unusual wing anatomy of D&D's gold dragons, reflecting the warm light of sunset. I took a lot of inspiration from wildlife photography and what it would be like to just be minding your own business on the shore of some mountain lake when this unbelievable creature passes by. Just catching a brief glimpse of it going about it's business.
It is 24 x 30 inches done in Oils on cradled masonite. Starting the auction now and it ends at 11:00pm Eastern New York time on Monday July 5th.We are looking for a $1000.00 opening bid. Please bid in $100 minimum increases. Any bid made within the last 10 minutes of the end will cause the auction to extend 10 minutes from that bid time until there are no bids for a full 10 minutes. If I do not know you and you have no reference in the art market, you will be required to make a fully refundable 10% deposit (if you loose) on Pay Pal. This is for the safety of all bidders. Payment will be made directly to Chris by bank transfer, or Pay Pal friends or family, or Pay Pal purchase adding 4%. If international, payment must be made by bank wire transfer. Shipping will be by UPS or Fed Ex and price will depend on final price and where you are located on this planet. Pm me, Mark Aronowitz. Thanks, Mark and Chris Rahn.

#5 Storm Giants 23,500 at auction

UPDATE: We are at $23,500
I have the distinct pleasure to offer Alex Stone’s first original Magic the Gathering painting. It is for Hall of Storm Giants from the upcoming DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: ADVENTURES IN THE FORGOTTEN REALMS Magic the Gathering set. The card pays homage to the classic Dungeon Modules. So cool for both a D & D and Magic lover.
Medium and details are:
Acrylic on cradled board
40cm x 60cm or 15.74 inches x 23.62 inches
3.5cm deep cradle board
Starting the auction now and it ends at 11:00pm Eastern New York time on Sunday July 11th. We are looking for a $4000 opening bid. Please bid in $100 minimum increases. Any bid made within the last 10 minutes of the end will cause the auction to extend 10 minutes from that bid time until there are no bids for a full 10 minutes. If I do not know you and you have no reference in the art market, you will be required to make a fully refundable 10% deposit (if you loose) on Pay Pal. This is for the safety of all bidders. Payment will be made directly to Alex by bank transfer, or Pay Pal friends or family, or Pay Pal purchase adding 5%. If international, payment must be made by bank wire transfer. Shipping will be Fed Ex or DHL and price will depend on final price and where you are located on this planet compared to Alex in Australia. Pm me, Mark Aronowitz. Thanks, Mark and Alex.

#6 Mordenkainen Donato Giancola 105,000 at auction

Update:
SOLD $105,000 to PM1
Auction ended Sunday July 11th 11:30pm EST
Mordenkainen the Wizard
Planeswalker
34” x 25” Oil on Panel, framed
Art Director: Zack Stella
Auction details at bottom of post.
I am honored to present the portrait of Planeswalker Mordenkainen from the Adventures in the Forgotten Realms D&D expansion. This painting is my most detailed and masterfully executed Magic: The Gathering cards as well as one of the finest portraits to grace my portfolio.
This portrait of Mordenkainen envelopes so much of what I love about my career as an artist - from portraiture, to narrative storytelling, rendering of reflective surfaces, dramatic lighting effects, and most importantly conveying a sense of wonder and mystery. We may never know what the wizard was working upon as we interrupted his contemplative thoughts in his study, but we can be certain we will feel the wrath of his ire!
Ever since discovering Dungeons and Dragons in my youth, I have enjoyed the complexities, challenges, and excitement of role-playing the character class of wizards. This portrait represents the deep passion I have for gaming and the art creation infused within my youth around roleplaying. It was this wellspring I returned to again and again as this work evolved.
Reaching back deep into those wizardry gaming roots are a set of bookends I created during my hard-core D&D days, with one side a diorama composed with the elements from Grenadier’s ‘Wizard’s Room’ lead figurine miniature set. I loved to paint these miniatures, owning handfuls of the diverse sets produced, and enjoyed endless hours of enjoyment in use in our campaigns.
Due to the lack of access to proper art supplies as a young artist, all small details on these figurines were rendered and applied with sharpened toothpicks. I am happy to state those logistical hurdles are no longer a hinderance in my art creation now! I have long ago learned that proper tools are part of the pathway to creating masterful, professional works of art.
To those ends, as this painting came closer to finish, a proper frame was needed to house this image and complement its craftsmanship. Masterworks Frames in Utah was commissioned to create a customized silver frame with a slight accent of dark blue in the broad field of the frame.
I am proud to now publicly share this major work with you and the Magic community!
Ps. The final image sent to wizards has a digitally added 'Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound'. I felt that the inclusion of the hound in the oil painting would weaken the ambiguous nature to Mordenkainen’s spell work and take focus away from him as a portrait of a powerful wizard.
Auction ends Sunday July 11th 11:30pm EST with any bids in the final 5 minutes extending closing time by an additional 5 minutes.
Buy It Now: $150,000 active starting Wednesday July 7th at 11:00pm EST, ending at Sunday July 11th 11:30pm EST (will NOT be active if auction goes into overtime). Any party interested in the BIN before the start time on July 7th may contact me directly. If there are two or more interested parties, a private auction will then proceed.
BIN price will include ALL the preliminaries for this work - abstract, rough red-toned concept, final grey-toned preliminary, blue-toned Hound, and acrylic color study (Wizard’s Room diorama NOT included).
Shipping fee $125 here in the United States via FedEx Ground. Overseas upon request.
Minimum Bid increases at $1000. Wire/Bank Transfer preferred for final payment, but other options possible. Bids may be made here in Comments, Private Message, or email at: arts@donatoarts.com

I have scratched my head about many things on the MtG art group but these sales were top of the list. Paint still drying...I thought they all went to Matt as well. 

On 6/6/2022 at 7:48 AM, exitmusicblue said:

Hard to feel awful about maximum nostalgia.  : >

True. But my comment was that the only pieces I would ever likely be able to take a crack at wouldn't be max nostalgia, but rather max nostalgia adjacent. A good example of what I mean is buying the Elmore cover to Dragons of Autumn twilight, but not the first edition, the later re-release. Still cool and would still take my bank roll, but isn't the cherry but a very expensive substitute.

On 6/7/2022 at 10:12 AM, cstojano said:

I have scratched my head about many things on the MtG art group but these sales were top of the list. Paint still drying...I thought they all went to Matt as well. 

I suppose that's possible, but it wouldn't be my first guess.   I can't see Matt caring and he, to me, had a problem paying huge for things unless they were really special.   He didn't mind raising the floor on things, but again as far as I could tell, didn't like to raise the ceiling unless something really amazing.

Besides, I'm sure you've seen the brand new planeswalker paintings sell for 50k repeatedly.   My guess is the buyers for these D&D crossover pieces were whomever the buyers for these brand new MTG pieces at 50k are.    Just stretched upwards a little due to crossover interest.    It seems like every time you get a somewhat noteable new card painted large by a fan favorite artist, its big bucks right off the easel.    I don't get it.     10k brand new, 15k even fine.    50?  WTF.    That will buy the art for quite a memorable vintage card; one that won't be forgotten in three months.     The new stuff seems so overvalued compared to the vintage pieces.   I know the vintage pieces are small and everything, but the price disparity, or rather the lack of it, is shocking to me.   

It's a bit like seeing a ditko spidey page sell for the same amount as a page from last month's issue of ASM.

Edited by Bronty

On 6/7/2022 at 7:39 AM, Bronty said:

I suppose that's possible, but it wouldn't be my first guess.   I can't see Matt caring and he, to me, had a problem paying huge for things unless they were really special.   He didn't mind raising the floor on things, but again as far as I could tell, didn't like to raise the ceiling unless something really amazing.

Besides, I'm sure you've seen the brand new planeswalker paintings sell for 50k repeatedly.   My guess is the buyers for these D&D crossover pieces were whomever the buyers for these brand new MTG pieces at 50k are.    Just stretched upwards a little due to crossover interest.    It seems like every time you get a somewhat noteable new card painted large by a fan favorite artist, its big bucks right off the easel.    I don't get it.     10k brand new, 15k even fine.    50?  WTF.    That will buy the art for quite a memorable vintage card; one that won't be forgotten in three months.     The new stuff seems so overvalued compared to the vintage pieces.   I know the vintage pieces are small and everything, but the price disparity, or rather the lack of it, is shocking to me.   

It's a bit like seeing a ditko spidey page sell for the same amount as a page from last month's issue of ASM.

I was told by "a guy" that would know that Matt did buy Tiamat, but this guy was also rather odd with the information so...

Watching the MtG group operate is really something to behold. I don't know how much of it is speculative buying or, as I said above, nostalgia adjacent. I have 0 MtG pieces, am tempted by some but of course given my general tastes it is not the mainstream artist I find appealing (I would buy a Scott Kirschner piece if I could). The new stuff looks very flat and homogenous to me. I cannot discern artistic styles (except Donato). All the squirrel stuff just makes my scratch my head. I do know if I was an artist given a hot assignment I would certainly need to utilize an abundance of sketches and prelims to, you know, get the piece right (not to sell later, I swear).

That I paid much less for a classic 80s Ian Miller Games Workshop piece than a brand new MtG piece is also interesting. 

Finally, I will say that MtG doing what its doing certainly sets price baselines throughout the fantasy genre. I have "overspent" on classic 80s fantasy art because, in reference to what similar buys in the new MtG realm, it all feels like a bargain. 

Edited by cstojano

On 6/7/2022 at 8:52 AM, cstojano said:

I was told by "a guy" that would know that Matt did buy Tiamat, but this guy was also rather odd with the information so...

Watching the MtG group operate is really something to behold. I don't know how much of it is speculative buying or, as I said above, nostalgia adjacent. I have 0 MtG pieces, am tempted by some but of course given my general tastes it is not the mainstream artist I find appealing (I would buy a Scott Kirschner piece if I could). The new stuff looks very flat and homogenous to me. I cannot discern artistic styles (except Donato). All the squirrel stuff just makes my scratch my head. I do know if I was an artist given a hot assignment I would certainly need to utilize an abundance of sketches and prelims to, you know, get the piece right (not to sell later, I swear).

That I paid much less for a classic 80s Ian Miller Games Workshop piece than a brand new MtG piece is also interesting. 

Finally, I will say that MtG doing what its doing certainly sets price baselines throughout the fantasy genre. I have "overspent" on classic 80s fantasy art because, in reference to what similar buys in the new MtG realm, it all feels like a bargain. 

I wrote for a CFA-APA piece that MtG is both "the breeding ground and coronation site" for this and future generations of fantasy artists. Homage to the past is best paid by the standard bearers of today... else we're eventually just left with relics of a lost-to-time collectibles/art category.

On 6/6/2022 at 3:02 PM, comix4fun said:

Same. I have 2 1st prints, 4 2nd prints (both printings are the 144 page Cthulu/Menibonean versions) and 1 3rd print (which is my OO copy) ....and to complete my madness I bought a $9.99 print on demand spiral bound copy to read and that came with a free PDF version just in case I wanted to see it on my computer screen or e-reader too. 

lol 

I have every book digitally now and hypertext linked.  It is so easy to look up things.  I love the old books but I also like modern technology.  Funny enough, I doctor friend contacted me last week to maybe try to get a game together.  I haven't played in about 20 years so I am looking forward to oiling my rusty skills.

On 6/7/2022 at 2:31 PM, exitmusicblue said:

I wrote for a CFA-APA piece that MtG is both "the breeding ground and coronation site" for this and future generations of fantasy artists. Homage to the past is best paid by the standard bearers of today... else we're eventually just left with relics of a lost-to-time collectibles/art category.

Its the one thing that's popular at the moment that requires a lot of fantasy art.     That's not to say that the commercial demand for fantasy art can't grow or shrink, but they put out like 300 cards every three months, like clockwork, and there aren't a lot of other products that require so much art so regularly atm.

On 6/8/2022 at 1:44 PM, cstojano said:

23k, 5x7 inches, MtG art is a force of nature. 

285702919_8036827819675778_7192800742244550825_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p480x480&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=pnGdJA4jjOkAX85oC0K&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-2.fna&oh=00_AT_BtVy4DiAtFee0ejros3gJccet_cg6YBuZEQmKaov6iw&oe=62A53E4F

I'd rather pay 23k for an early piece like that than pay 23k for something wet off the easel with the current aesthetic.

Option C of saving my 23k is best of all of course.

Edited by Bronty

On 6/8/2022 at 11:33 AM, Superhero said:

I have every book digitally now and hypertext linked.  It is so easy to look up things.  I love the old books but I also like modern technology.  Funny enough, I doctor friend contacted me last week to maybe try to get a game together.  I haven't played in about 20 years so I am looking forward to oiling my rusty skills.

That's true, the new licensed PDF options are great and they are offered at really low prices. 

It's not D&D per se, but I think close enough. I can honestly say I never thought I’d get to own original art by pioneering D&D artist Erol Otus (painter of the aforementioned DEITIES & DEMIGODS cover). But I was lucky enough to get this: An original sketch on the back of an Artist Proof Magic the Gathering card he did the art for. A Lovecraftian monstrosity…exactly what I wanted from him! I couldn’t be happier. (Front of card also included for fun.)

Erol Otus sketch.jpg

Erol Otus front.jpg

That's great. Erol Otus is my favorite of all the early D&D artists. His are the images burned into my brain the most. You're right, getting anything at all from his hand is great!

Edited by comix4fun

On 12/1/2022 at 8:52 AM, Bronty said:

interesting make an offer on HA recently

CLYDE CALDWELL (American, 20th Century)
The Thing from the Pit, Dungeons and Dragons magazine cover, 1982
Oil on board...
$7,500.00 Mar 02 2012 $55,000 Rejected Nov 30 2022

Always wild to see those offers on some pieces. It makes me think about the circumstances and motivations of both the owner and the person making the offer. 
It's interesting to see them but whatever led someone (and it really looks like one person making all those offers this year) to keep throwing offers out might not translate to what this would sell for at auction. I mean, who knows if this guy making the offer is not annoyed and soured on the piece after making those herculean offers and being rejected. 

The recent case of the FF 260 cover is a prime example. 
Sometimes an owner benefits far more from the bird in the hand.
Without that underbidder to help push the action one could wind up red-faced :mad:
690327758_ScreenShot2022-11-17at11_20_15AM.thumb.png.0ec44a6b9fe97da67a4c4426b085c4e9.png
718689693_ScreenShot2022-11-17at11_21_17AM.thumb.png.50ff6cfc0951d3dd27b7922c7ddbff5b.png

On 12/1/2022 at 11:48 AM, comix4fun said:

Always wild to see those offers on some pieces. It makes me think about the circumstances and motivations of both the owner and the person making the offer. 
It's interesting to see them but whatever led someone (and it really looks like one person making all those offers this year) to keep throwing offers out might not translate to what this would sell for at auction. I mean, who knows if this guy making the offer is not annoyed and soured on the piece after making those herculean offers and being rejected. 

The recent case of the FF 260 cover is a prime example. 
Sometimes an owner benefits far more from the bird in the hand.
Without that underbidder to help push the action one could wind up red-faced :mad:
690327758_ScreenShot2022-11-17at11_20_15AM.thumb.png.0ec44a6b9fe97da67a4c4426b085c4e9.png
718689693_ScreenShot2022-11-17at11_21_17AM.thumb.png.50ff6cfc0951d3dd27b7922c7ddbff5b.png

Great example!   And yes, that just goes to show that auction doesn't always yield the best results.    Usually it does, but its certainly not a given.

On 12/1/2022 at 11:45 AM, Bronty said:

Great example!   And yes, that just goes to show that auction doesn't always yield the best results.    Usually it does, but its certainly not a given.

True, it's the extreme cases where people keep throwing out numbers like the Caldwell and the Byrne. The guy is his own underbidder, bidding against himself. On the Caldwell, if I were the owner and had any inkling of not keeping it forever, I'd probably reconsider. At auction the mechanics won't work without someone equally rabid for the piece involved.