• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your D&D OA
4 4

245 posts in this topic

On 1/25/2023 at 10:23 AM, comix4fun said:

For my nostalgia-driven-dollars....I'll take Trampier, Otus, Easley, Willingham, Roslof and Dee all day long. 

Jeff Dee's work is my favorite of the bunch.  The linework was just more refined, reminded me of Neal Adams and John Byrne in comics at the time.  The story about what happened to all his original art drives me crazy.  Kind of wish I'd participated in his recreations on kickstarter a few years back. 

The trouble for me was that his recreations had lost something from the originals.  As an artist, I've experienced the same phenomena.  It's ridiculously difficult to draw something exactly the same way twice, even if it's minutes apart, let alone years.  It changes each time you draw it- usually, not for the better.  There's often something special that the original idea had that is lost in successive iterations.

On 1/28/2023 at 11:53 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Jeff Dee's work is my favorite of the bunch.  The linework was just more refined, reminded me of Neal Adams and John Byrne in comics at the time.  The story about what happened to all his original art drives me crazy.  Kind of wish I'd participated in his recreations on kickstarter a few years back. 

The trouble for me was that his recreations had lost something from the originals.  As an artist, I've experienced the same phenomena.  It's ridiculously difficult to draw something exactly the same way twice, even if it's minutes apart, let alone years.  It changes each time you draw it- usually, not for the better.  There's often something special that the original idea had that is lost in successive iterations.

When I contacted Jeff I wanted commission him to use his character designs, in my case from deities and demigods, and then spin them into an entirely new piece. That allowed for the style to be true without any attempt to make them match the originals.  That really worked out well. 

On 1/29/2023 at 2:11 PM, comix4fun said:

When I contacted Jeff I wanted commission him to use his character designs, in my case from deities and demigods, and then spin them into an entirely new piece. That allowed for the style to be true without any attempt to make them match the originals.  That really worked out well. 

I thought I posted these in this thread but I can’t find them.  One is Egyptian themed, Set as the central God, and the other Loki in a Norse themed one. 

F6B58BFC-4E57-4CA5-8BF0-45E99E2FC587.thumb.jpeg.4d390171421a4db479ada8a231edadfa.jpeg

345760C7-D524-45D3-A25F-D7A1168081EE.thumb.jpeg.1b36238a624a46967687e038f2615836.jpeg

On 1/29/2023 at 8:53 PM, comix4fun said:

I thought I posted these in this thread but I can’t find them.  One is Egyptian themed, Set as the central God, and the other Loki in a Norse themed one. 

F6B58BFC-4E57-4CA5-8BF0-45E99E2FC587.thumb.jpeg.4d390171421a4db479ada8a231edadfa.jpeg

345760C7-D524-45D3-A25F-D7A1168081EE.thumb.jpeg.1b36238a624a46967687e038f2615836.jpeg

Dope.

looks like he took his Freya design from Deities, which is only a good thing.  Dee was always my favorite although the Roslof - I believe - image from that book of Thor smashing the Midgard Serpent was probably my favourite image of any of them.

I'm not an OO guy, but if someone were to offer me one of the Willingham D&D sequential art ads that appeared in the early to mid CA, i would not refuse them a place on my office wall

On 2/7/2023 at 8:09 AM, Sal said:

Dope.

looks like he took his Freya design from Deities, which is only a good thing.  Dee was always my favorite although the Roslof - I believe - image from that book of Thor smashing the Midgard Serpent was probably my favourite image of any of them.

I'm not an OO guy, but if someone were to offer me one of the Willingham D&D sequential art ads that appeared in the early to mid CA, i would not refuse them a place on my office wall

Yeah, the Roslof full page of Thor from D&DG is at the very top of the list for me too. Burned into anyone's brain who ever paged through that book. 

On 3/2/2023 at 5:16 AM, Bronty said:

Whoever bought it threw it on eBay where it recently resold for 18k

Yeah this has been discussed on some of he FB groups. The ebay listing is odd, seems to imply the Weiss listing wasn't real. Odd coincidence then...

On 3/2/2023 at 6:16 AM, Bronty said:

Whoever bought it threw it on eBay where it recently resold for 18k

It actually sold for $11,500. 
That sneaky eBay, hiding the ball. 

293360256_ScreenShot2023-03-06at6_24_50PM.thumb.png.8f4f3b694351d1683f2f636dffe3c64f.png

Quite a weird mix of stuff here. The loose random mini lots are interesting. There must be a ton of this stuff out there. I dipped my toes into the sealed market, and yes I understand people think its easy to fake, but the prices are quite reasonable for what seem like premier collectibles in that genre (basic and expert sets sealed boxes, for example). Jim Ward's Basic set sealed box barley sold for 600 dollars on ebay a few weeks back.

On 7/6/2023 at 3:22 PM, cstojano said:

Quite a weird mix of stuff here. The loose random mini lots are interesting. There must be a ton of this stuff out there. I dipped my toes into the sealed market, and yes I understand people think its easy to fake, but the prices are quite reasonable for what seem like premier collectibles in that genre (basic and expert sets sealed boxes, for example). Jim Ward's Basic set sealed box barley sold for 600 dollars on ebay a few weeks back.

It does have a feel as an emerging collector niche.    It has all the right ingredients.   The OA does seem to be taking off for D&D material, though there's certain no lack of calibre in the artists involved from the era of D&D.   

On 7/6/2023 at 9:25 AM, Microchip said:

It does have a feel as an emerging collector niche.    It has all the right ingredients.   The OA does seem to be taking off for D&D material, though there's certain no lack of calibre in the artists involved from the era of D&D.   

The art market is tied up as many know. The collectibles side, however, does seem oddly undervalued. Sealed boxes of mini sets with some great classic artwork sells for very little. Many hobbyists poopoo collecting sealed things like this, which certainly is depressing values. What else from the 80s, prime era geek stuff, can be bought mint and sealed for 50 bucks? You would think there's tons of product out there but high grade is actually pretty hard to find. Lead rot is an interesting wrinkle as way.

On 7/6/2023 at 7:08 AM, cstojano said:

The art market is tied up as many know. The collectibles side, however, does seem oddly undervalued. Sealed boxes of mini sets with some great classic artwork sells for very little. Many hobbyists poopoo collecting sealed things like this, which certainly is depressing values. What else from the 80s, prime era geek stuff, can be bought mint and sealed for 50 bucks? You would think there's tons of product out there but high grade is actually pretty hard to find. Lead rot is an interesting wrinkle as way.

I started collecting mostly sealed TSR stuff some years ago (and a decent amount of unsealed stuff too). Prices have gone up a lot during that time, though, in the grand scheme of things, they do seem cheap relative to things like OA. That said, I haven't noticed much price appreciation over the 12-18 months; seems like things have mostly flattened out in line with many other collectibles verticals post-pandemic.

I also don't get the sense that the depth of the collector base is very deep - seems like the good stuff gets a couple/few guys fighting over it and then they move on. I don't get the sense that there's a lot of new blood coming in these days driving demand & prices higher...a lot of stuff just seems to sit on eBay these days that would have flown off the shelf a couple years ago. For a lot of the readily available things, I feel like the (limited) market has largely had its fill.

Those $50 sealed mini-games (of which I have a good number of) you mentioned - I actually played some of those when I was a kid, but, I don't know that many/any younger folks who didn't grow up with that stuff are going to care about that stuff. Seems like the most heat is on '90s blockbuster properties now like Magic, Pokemon, some videogames, etc. I don't know how ripe this D&D stuff is for a big boom; I remember ComicConnect had a D&D auction a year or two ago, trying to expand the category...let's see how ComicLink fares. My guess is that some of the rare TSR tournament modules are going to go nuts while much of the non-TSR produced material is going to seem ho-hum. 

Edited by delekkerste