• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your D&D OA
4 4

245 posts in this topic

On 6/1/2022 at 11:00 PM, Bronty said:

15k in 2013 was nothing to laugh at!

For sure. That was my hesitation from what I remember. Some great Clyde Caldwell published paintings to early Dragon Magazines and the like were selling for $2000-3000 for comparison's sake. 

On 6/2/2022 at 10:23 AM, comix4fun said:

For sure. That was my hesitation from what I remember. Some great Clyde Caldwell published paintings to early Dragon Magazines and the like were selling for $2000-3000 for comparison's sake. 

Yeah, I paid $1500 for the Caldwell I posted in this thread directly from Clyde.    That was around 2010.     Sold around 2014 for a fair bit more.     Maybe worth 15-20k today I would guess, from what I see of what little hits the market.    

Edited by Bronty

Guest Race

Would love to know if any of the art from this still exists... remember this fondly as a Christmas present, was right at the age when I was playing D&D... simple images but really captured the mood

image.jpeg

Edited by Race

On 6/2/2022 at 7:27 AM, Bronty said:

Yeah, I paid $1500 for the Caldwell I posted in this thread directly from Clyde.    That was around 2010.     Sold around 2014 for a fair bit more.     Maybe worth 15-20k today I would guess, from what I see of what little hits the market.    

You think that little? All academic I suppose but I'd love to see a public auction of anything from TSR. I think the result would be the same in terms of new ownership but the value would be interesting. 

On 6/2/2022 at 10:58 AM, cstojano said:

You think that little? All academic I suppose but I'd love to see a public auction of anything from TSR. I think the result would be the same in terms of new ownership but the value would be interesting. 

I suppose as a NES cover, I could ask more for that today, yes,  but as a random piece of TSR?  Meh.   I dunno.   I'm not sure I see anyone other than Matt paying up big for a random TSR paperback cover.   I could be wrong but I don't see any reason to think so.

On 6/2/2022 at 4:50 PM, christosgage said:

My mistake...thanks for the correction!

It's one of the few pieces that I actually know the whereabouts of...I just had to blurt it out. lol 

On 6/2/2022 at 7:24 PM, comix4fun said:

It's one of the few pieces that I actually know the whereabouts of...I just had to blurt it out. lol 

Board lurkers are now frantically emailing them with too good an offer to refuse as we type. 

On 6/2/2022 at 7:25 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Board lurkers are now frantically emailing them with too good an offer to refuse as we type. 

I fear that's been tried, that pic I posted is probably 10 years old. It's been repeatedly attempted with no luck thus far. 

On 6/5/2022 at 6:24 PM, Randall Dowling said:

This is pretty awesome!  I'm just glad to have a nice copy of the first printing.

Yeah, that book is my weakness. I still have that same copy I got in 1980 but since then I've collected another 1/2 dozen copies of various printings and in various conditions. It's a sickness, really. 

On 6/2/2022 at 8:43 AM, Bronty said:

I suppose as a NES cover, I could ask more for that today, yes,  but as a random piece of TSR?  Meh.   I dunno.   I'm not sure I see anyone other than Matt paying up big for a random TSR paperback cover.   I could be wrong but I don't see any reason to think so.

Koder plus legions of MtG/fantasy collectors... the overlap is real.  :O

On 6/6/2022 at 6:47 AM, exitmusicblue said:

Koder plus legions of MtG/fantasy collectors... the overlap is real.  :O

I can imagine lots of folks paying up for something like this and then feeling awful about it afterwards ;)

Its cool material, but also people want what they can't have.     Its almost all gone into a giant black hole, so the willingness to pay that was never there before is here now.

In addition time has passed and what used to look expensive doesn't look so crazy anymore.

Edited by Bronty

On 6/6/2022 at 6:18 AM, comix4fun said:

Yeah, that book is my weakness. I still have that same copy I got in 1980 but since then I've collected another 1/2 dozen copies of various printings and in various conditions. It's a sickness, really. 

Me too.  I have a few copies since I wore out my original version with the Melnibonean and Cthulhu Mythos I had to buy another that was as pristine as I could find.