• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Promo Card on Comic
1 1

4 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2022 at 8:37 AM, Prometheus1995 said:

I recently purchased a copy of Ghost Rider, Wolverine, and Punisher Dark Hearts, and it still has the promotional card attached. How will that effect the grade?

20220121_103233.jpg

I'm not an expert on this comic, but how is this card attached?  From my extremely limited research, this comic didn't come with a card attached to the cover. I guess its possible that this is a reprint I'm unaware of, but the card in the sleeve attached on the cover is not something I've seen before for any comic.  Generally promo cards come IN sealed polybags inside bigger sealed plastic polybags OR are attached in the centerfold.  

Are you sure the card isn't just in a separate sleeve and its been put in the bag with the comic?  If the card is actually attached to the comic, it was probably done after market and the adhesive will lower the grade.

NOTE:  Many newbies think that just because a comic is in a bag/sleeve, that it is automatically brand new/never opened and in super ultra mint condition.  That is generally not the case, bags/sleeves like the one pictured are standard for most (but certainly not all) comic collectors.  Most comics come w/o the bag, and are put on by collectors who purchased the comic.

That is a fairly common comic from a time went print-runs were extremely high and those characters were extremely popular.  So if you google it (and/or search on ebay) and can't find an example with the card, the card probably didn't come with the comic and definitely should not be physically attached.

Alternatively, consider taking the comic out of the bag (carefully, if you care about grade), and seeing if/how the card is attached.  Maybe take a picture and post here with more questions.

Good luck.  Maybe someone else can chime in with more details.