• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is the Killing Joke such a key comic?
2 2

79 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2022 at 9:00 AM, KCode98 said:

So is it only gaining in value because of Youtube hyping?

I've seen only a few CGC youtube video's. They don't really seem to be pumping that arena as often. My "thoughts" are, does CGC "not collecting comics and being impartial", make it where they do or don't hype the comics read and loved?

Just saying. Youtube within the workings of CGC doesn't seem prevelant. Killing Joke is awesome. The show was awesome, I even bought a pass screening, which I believe was my first :) 

I like the thought of youtube hyping, if it is constructive. So I was comparing CGC to the YouTubers. Given the times. There will be a convoluted issue, if it doesn't all "coalesce". :ohnoez: 

On 1/22/2022 at 11:09 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Give me an YouTube video anytime. The content is what I'd love. If this patience isn't worth reading, it may ponder further in my own mind lol 

I see the laugh at the end...is this your killing joke because I am having an aneurysm trying to decipher that last sentence.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:27 AM, Bird said:

I see the laugh at the end...is this your killing joke because I am having an aneurysm trying to decipher that last sentence.

lol denada. Nothing to puzzle me is what I mean. The book in it's own right is nice :)

I just was pondering the implications of YouTube and what it means to CGC. Given the boards. CGC could utilize the youtube, but they have kept to instructional vids, which I cherish.

Yet. The question I posed was, does CGC having impartiality to comics prevent them from "hyping."

On 1/22/2022 at 11:33 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yet. The question I posed was, does CGC having impartiality to comics prevent them from "hyping."

well, as I understand it cgc was formed to generate collectibles for HA to sell so I think they hype everything via hyping the company and cgc it mentality.

200 business days is, what a year? How many spoons are still sending books in and will joey be able to get to mine quickly, cause I might send 10 or so in. (shrug)

On 1/22/2022 at 10:36 AM, Bird said:

well, as I understand it cgc was formed to generate collectibles for HA to sell so I think they hype everything via hyping the company and cgc it mentality.

200 business days is, what a year? How many spoons are still sending books in and will joey be able to get to mine quickly, cause I might send 10 or so in. (shrug)

Ah Yes! It's a business and understandable, for certain it is the machine they need. I just wondered what was the driver, if not the joy of comics.

On 1/22/2022 at 11:41 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah Yes! It's a business and understandable, for certain it is the machine they need. I just wondered what was the driver, if not the joy of comics.

1/3 comic lovers, 1/3 marketing and 1/3 people like you and me who are collectors/sellers seems a fairly likely breakdown

I guess some are youtubers just doing content, comics are grist for the mill but how much would those people drive sales, they want views and I doubt those views translate to sales unlike comic lover video or  marketing videos

On 1/22/2022 at 10:45 AM, Bird said:

1/3 comic lovers, 1/3 marketing and 1/3 people like you and me who are collectors/sellers seems a fairly likely breakdown

I guess some are youtubers just doing content, comics are grist for the mill but how much would those people drive sales, they want views and I doubt those views translate to sales unlike comic lover video or  marketing videos

one can hope that the genuine wins out over all. Hopeful :) 

On 1/22/2022 at 9:32 AM, Bird said:

that is a lot of qualifiers!

For The Man of Tomorrow isn't better than KJ? (shrug)

I love Wildstorm Spotlight Featuring Majestic. it is a wonderful wonderful story. 1997 and really one of the great single issue comics I have ever read.

Swamp Thing 38 is a standalone story as well. Still gives me chills all these years later.

The whole Swamp Thing run is amazing and accompanied by the beautiful Totlebon/Bissette artwork.  So many great issues in there.  The one with the haunted house & the hammers is true “horror”.  

On 1/22/2022 at 12:11 PM, chrisco37 said:

The whole Swamp Thing run is amazing and accompanied by the beautiful Totlebon/Bissette artwork.  So many great issues in there.  The one with the haunted house & the hammers is true “horror”.  

That one is based on a true or at least partilly true story wich is fun

On 1/22/2022 at 2:32 PM, Bird said:

that is a lot of qualifiers!

For The Man of Tomorrow isn't better than KJ? (shrug)

I love Wildstorm Spotlight Featuring Majestic. it is a wonderful wonderful story. 1997 and really one of the great single issue comics I have ever read.

Swamp Thing 38 is a standalone story as well. Still gives me chills all these years later.

Do you mean For the Man Who Has Everything?  And wasn't Swamp Thing #38 the first part of a two parter?  I hadn't heard of the Wildstorm Spotlight, but will definitely try to find a copy.

On 1/22/2022 at 2:20 PM, Chaykin Stevens said:

Do you mean For the Man Who Has Everything?  And wasn't Swamp Thing #38 the first part of a two parter?  I hadn't heard of the Wildstorm Spotlight, but will definitely try to find a copy.

no, sorry, I meant the second Moore one...whatever happened to the man of tomorrow, collected with for the man who has everything but both standalone stories

the spotlight is first pro comics work of Carlos D'Anda, one of the guys who worked with Jim Lee in his studio (w/ Oliver Nome, Richard friend, JJ Kirby etc)

Edited by Bird

On 1/22/2022 at 2:20 PM, Chaykin Stevens said:

(shrug)

(I was against all those qualifiers, like I said. The Superman one I mentioned is two comics, but one story. The wildstorm is one comic though, I was not familiar with all the characters but a cursory knowledge of Jim Lee's Wildcats helps)

On 1/22/2022 at 12:11 PM, chrisco37 said:

The Moore Swamp Thing run has to be the 2nd most over-rated series of all-time, surpassed only by Moore’s Watchmen.

On 1/22/2022 at 4:25 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

The Moore Swamp Thing run has to be the 2nd most over-rated series of all-time, surpassed only by Moore’s Watchmen.

Different strokes, I guess.

Did you like V for Vendetta?  LOEG?

On 1/22/2022 at 4:29 PM, chrisco37 said:

Different strokes, I guess.

Did you like V for Vendetta?  LOEG?

Honestly, the only work by Moore that I found enjoyable is From Hell, and The Killing Joke.

Overall, I find his dialogue too verbose.

I preferred the work of Neil Gaiman, Terry Moore, and Roger Stern over Moore.

On 1/22/2022 at 4:34 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Honestly, the only work by Moore that I found enjoyable is From Hell, and The Killing Joke.

Overall, I find his dialogue too verbose.

I preferred the work of Neil Gaiman, Terry Moore, and Roger Stern over Moore.

Go sit at the back of the class :p

chris is right, different strokes, but to a lot of people the swamp thing run is the best run in copper.

Edited by Bronty

I think Moore is a master at using the structure of the comic more than any other writer. In fact KJ may be one of his works where he this isn't emphasized to the degree it is in his other works and maybe that is why I do not respond.