• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don't use ebay ever, so a question
2 2

48 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2022 at 8:06 PM, grebal said:

Hey bud.  Only 'side-deals' are illegal/bad form.

Just click "contact seller" and make your pitch.

Haven't used site in around 2 years - since they added something maybe called "managed payments", so my info might be OOD.

thanks pal

You know it's in Finland. Didn't Buzz or someone post that things can be just confiscated or whatever. Seller is not a member of Global Shipping Program. How does one figure out import tax?

Edited by NoMan

On 1/21/2022 at 10:16 PM, NoMan said:

You know it's in Finland. Didn't Buzz or someone post that things can be just confiscated or whatever. How does one figure out import tax?

Just send him some vodka or something.  I don't think we're charged customs' duties yet.  But if that's wrong, just wait for the tax people to catch up with you --- what could possibly go wrong?

On 1/21/2022 at 11:16 PM, NoMan said:

You know it's in Finland. Didn't Buzz or someone post that things can be just confiscated or whatever. Seller is not a member of Global Shipping Program. How does one figure out import tax?

If he is shipping from Finland directly, or any other country coming into the US, typically they don't account for any import tax.  It's up to the receiving country upon delivery.  I used to get 5-6 packages per year from out of the country (none lately), never got charged any type of import tax.

If you go through a global agency (like the GSP on eBay) that handles it door to door, they are set up to collect the appropriate tax and remit it to the receiving country.  So basically if sent directly, you are flying under the radar. 

But there is still the possibility that you could have to pay an import tax, no guarantee you won't.

Purchasing or selling between countries has never been more daunting.  Proceed with great care.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:02 PM, NoMan said:

Vintage movie poster I want. Price is too high for me. Are you allowed to contact seller and make a lower offer or is that bad form or illegal? I dunno...

thanks

careful with them vintage posters-lotta fakes.

On 1/21/2022 at 9:29 PM, kav said:

careful with them vintage posters-lotta fakes.

Is there a source to your fear of fake posters? I fully respect you and your warning, I've just never heard about fake posters. But then I'm often out in my own world...

Edited by NoMan

Seller accepted my offer, relied with this:

if you want to do it through Ebay, I will edit the listing to reflect a price of XXXX and also the shipping charge and you order as normal. Alternatively you can send me a Paypal payment directly and that way I will save a few $ on the commission etc and fees. It's up to you but for the former let's coordinate in case someone else snaps it up at the lower price - there's a few people watching it, lol.

Edited by NoMan

On 1/22/2022 at 11:26 AM, NoMan said:

if you want to do it through Ebay, I will edit the listing to reflect a price of XXXX and also the shipping charge and you order as normal. Alternatively you can send me a Paypal payment directly and that way I will save a few $ on the commission etc and fees. It's up to you but for the former let's coordinate in case someone else snaps it up at the lower price - there's a few people watching it, lol.

My question is how did this message get past Ebay's censors? I mentioned IG once, and it was flagged as violating their terms of service.

On 1/22/2022 at 12:26 PM, NoMan said:

Which did you do - through eBay, or PayPal directly?

On 1/22/2022 at 11:15 AM, Lightning55 said:

Which did you do - through eBay, or PayPal directly?

gonna go paypal NOT friends and family

listing ebay and then avoiding ebay is a valid ethical question. I did however see poster listed for same price on sellers used bookstore webpage long before i saw it on ebay

Edited by NoMan

On 1/22/2022 at 6:13 AM, NoMan said:

Is there a source to your fear of fake posters? I fully respect you and your warning, I've just never heard about fake posters. But then I'm often out in my own world...

https://www.cinemasterpieces.com/cinearticles.htm

https://www.aaavintageposters.com/beware-of-fake-movie-posters/

"Professor" Powers lol https://www.angelfire.com/stars4/mymovieposters/aboutme.htm

Edited by kav

On 1/22/2022 at 12:26 PM, NoMan said:

If you do it outside of eBay he's effectively making 15% more than he would on eBay, so you may want to say "yes but I want a discount".