• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's Your Grail Outside of Your Primary Collection?
5 5

62 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if the title's super clear, but I was wondering what everyone's grail book is that's NOT part of their primary collection. For example, my main focus is ASM Vol. 1 so my normal grails would be AF15 and ASM 1, but my NON-Spidey grail choice would be Fantastic Four #1. The Lee/Kirby stuff is absolutely masterful, and the historical significance is super appealing as a Silver Age and Marvel fan.

Anyway, I thought it'd just be a fun conversational topic. Sound off below!

I get what you are throwing down. 

I have my primary collection, but I also have hardcovers and AE books which are my grails outside of my original books. 

3 I’d consider grails are my:

Dark Knight Returns: Graphitti Designs Slipcover Limited Signed Gallery Edition

and

IDW John Byrne and Jim Lee X-Men Limited Signed Artist Editions

7B65F992-D3EA-4937-939F-9387DA194EF2.jpeg

FCA85619-8041-4FD7-A7B7-D584FD82EED6.jpeg

On 1/22/2022 at 9:34 PM, Terry JSA said:

All-American Comics #16

It’s THE book I want for my collection. It’s just a matter of being able to find one.. and also being able to find one for the right price. 

D7AA4895-5C2D-4E8F-84CE-4D78AFF37F6C.webp

I'd actually forgotten that that's the first appearance of Green Lantern. For some reason I'd gotten it in my head that Green Lantern #1 was where Alan debuted. Either way, great pick!

On 1/22/2022 at 10:00 PM, D2 said:

I get what you are throwing down. 

I have my primary collection, but I also have hardcovers and AE books which are my grails outside of my original books. 

3 I’d consider grails are my:

Dark Knight Returns: Graphitti Designs Slipcover Limited Signed Gallery Edition

and

IDW John Byrne and Jim Lee X-Men Limited Signed Artist Editions

7B65F992-D3EA-4937-939F-9387DA194EF2.jpeg

FCA85619-8041-4FD7-A7B7-D584FD82EED6.jpeg

Interesting choices, but super cool!

On 1/22/2022 at 10:04 PM, Buzzetta said:

I own it... 

NFS ... like ever.  When it comes up for sale... you know I am dead. 

I love Indiana Jones.  When you think of Indiana Jones what is the one scene that is the most iconic out of all of the movies?  To me, it's from Raiders of the Lost Ark when he is running from the boulder.  So, when it came up for auction, I just closed my eyes and hit, 'bid' until no one else wanted it more than me. Eventually I may buy a cover but I wanted this more than anything else out of all the Indy art out there. 

image.png.be31aa537ccbd7e803cd929a21eac825.png

IMG_8209.jpeg

Wow! That's awesome! I'm not sure what my grail PAGE would be, but probably something from PPSM #75. There's other more important work out there for sure, but that's my all-time favorite superhero issue since I was little.

Adventure Comics #61 - first appearance of Golden Age Starman would probably be mine. That or All-Star Comics #3. Tough to choose. 

cool thread.  EDIT: I initially read it as asking for owned grails outside of one’s main focus.  lol.  Cutting that out, and considering my main focus is SA/BA, I’d say Yellow Kid for Plat Age.  Too many to list for GA, including the usual suspects.  For Copper, TMNT1.  

Edited by Pantodude

My core interest is Kirby's Fantastic Four; and I am fortunate enough to own a full run, plus a couple of pages of Kirby/Sinnott original art. Nothing will ever be grailier than that stuff.

But on the periphery, I love the Conan paperbacks, so I got a Weird Tales with a good Conan story. Realistically, I've got what I really want, so I'll just say Marvel Comics #1.