• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Notable Artists' First Comic Publication Covers
2 2

33 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2022 at 12:36 PM, kav said:

action 232-first curt swan cover

Screenshot 2022-01-24 12.36.40 PM.png

That's cool cover!  As part of my birth month collection, I've got the similarly themed World's Finest 157 by Swan.  This one's going on my list to get.

HOWEVER, Curt Swan's first cover was back in the 1940s according to GCD.  Action 232 was his first cover on that title.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 1/24/2022 at 1:15 PM, Shrevvy said:

He did Ghost Rider #2 as well...

Oops!  (worship)   My apologies.  Dumb misstake.  GR # 2 is what I think is the first Frazetta cover!  I know of no Frazetta covers before his Ghose Rider run.  Again, let me know if I'm wrong!  Here it is:  EDITED:  I WAS WRONG AGAIN!

Edited by sfcityduck

On 1/24/2022 at 1:35 PM, PiggyTTV said:

Thanks!  I love being wrong, LOL!  Because it means I'm learning something new.  At least it is a Ghost Rider cover of sorts.  I hope we can now put Frazetta to bed!  Anyone else want to offer a correction!?! I already have two strikes!  Here's the image:

Image 1 - Tim Holt Comics #17 CGC 5.0-1950-Frank Frazetta-Ghost Rider-3713280001

Edited by sfcityduck

On 1/24/2022 at 4:40 PM, sfcityduck said:

Thanks!  I love being wrong, LOL!  Because it means I'm learning something new.  At least it is a Ghost Rider cover of sorts.  I hope we can now put Frazetta to bed!  Anyone else want to offer a correction!?! I already have two strikes!  Here's the image:

Image 1 - Tim Holt Comics #17 CGC 5.0-1950-Frank Frazetta-Ghost Rider-3713280001

His first cover would be Tally Ho.  Giunta signed it but two of the panels are from the interior which are acknowledged as a Frazetta/Giunta collab.  (Note:  I'm suspicious that Frazetta pencilled the cover, but Giunta was the established pro and Frazetta was getting his art and story published for the first time and let him grab the credit.)

Tim Holt 17 would be Frazetta's first solo effort.

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Tally-Ho Comics #nn Mile High pedigree (Baily Publication, 1944) Condition: NM+. Frank Frazetta's first comic book is a must...

On 1/24/2022 at 6:04 PM, adamstrange said:

His first cover would be Tally Ho.  Giunta signed it but two of the panels are from the interior which are acknowledged as a Frazetta/Giunta collab.  (Note:  I'm suspicious that Frazetta pencilled the cover, but Giunta was the established pro and Frazetta was getting his art and story published for the first time and let him grab the credit.)

Tim Holt 17 would be Frazetta's first solo effort.

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Tally-Ho Comics #nn Mile High pedigree (Baily Publication, 1944) Condition: NM+. Frank Frazetta's first comic book is a must...

STEEEERIKE THREE!  LoL!  Thanks for what I hope is the final correction!

I'm afraid of being wrong so I won't post the cover, but I believe Jim Lee's was Alpha Flight #53. Anyone able to verify that? 

On 1/26/2022 at 7:08 AM, valiantman said:

845892734_3739655009_12001.jpg.6e1928fc5e127e3fd12b1ce418570e35.jpg

I'm giving you a like not for McFarlane, but for Infinity Inc. They deserve some more love. 

I think it is amazing how much they all improved later.  Some of those early covers don't even hint at how masterful the artists would become later.

The early Frazetta and Corben... Wow, those are... primitive.  

On 1/25/2022 at 6:48 PM, Turnando said:

I think it is amazing how much they all improved later.  Some of those early covers don't even hint at how masterful the artists would become later.

The early Frazetta and Corben... Wow, those are... primitive.  

Joe Kubert's early works are quite bad, too.