• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic with repro cover - Purple 7.0

6 posts in this topic

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-flash-105-dc-1959-cgc-apparent-fn-vf-70-extensive-p-cream-to-off-white-pages/p/122205-73037.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Repro cover equals extensive resto - yes, but 7.0 !!! I would have thought .05 Blue. A resto depending on how much would normally give a discount of 50 -70% on this book. (Somehow resto hurts key DC more than key Marvel) but a 7.0 is around $7K to $8K and coverless is around $200 give or take $50 depending on PQ spine, staple tears edge tears. With this you can't even tell the how bad the actual book is.

Anyone else seen anything like this.

On 1/25/2022 at 8:43 AM, PiggyTTV said:

You can find a lot of "problems" on the original labels if you look. CGC was still feeling its way back then and not everything was set in stone. You can find these labels with "cleaned and pressed" on them, which you would certainly never see these days.

Clean and press was originally treated as resto until they worked out it was impossible to spot if good. Hate to think this repro cover purple was common "back in the day" .

Purple normally attracts a discount of  50-70%. In case of extensive resto is can be 90%. There was a SC4 9.6 a few years ago that had the works. This would be a discount of 97% off blue.

An old label and glad they worked out a better way.

and I always feel sorry for some guy low on funds who sees something too good to be true and chases something he thinks is unaffordable only to get burned. But hey I forgot it was the comic hobby !!

Apparently they put a few grades early with reproduction cover.  They since give a reproduction cover a NG from what I remember. Although there could be variables.  It’s a cover less book. 

Edited by Topnotchman