• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price to grade/slab an expensive Silver Age book?

7 posts in this topic

I asked this on the ask CGC forum, but I suspect I may get a faster response here to my uninformed question. Thanks in advance:

I'm sorry for what is surely a noob questions, though aside from CGC stuff, I am an experienced collector (35+ years, lots of books...). 

Can someone tell me how to figure out the cost of submitting/grading an expensive, older book. The best I can see on the CGC website seems to be 3% of market value for walkthrough. All the other max values are too low. How much would it cost to grade and slab a high grade copy of X-Men 1, for example, valued at around 25k at current "fair market value". 3% of that is $750, which is getting too steep. Any help appreciated. 

On 1/24/2022 at 2:26 PM, PiggyTTV said:
On 1/24/2022 at 2:04 PM, alexml. said:

I asked this on the ask CGC forum, but I suspect I may get a faster response here to my uninformed question. Thanks in advance:

I'm sorry for what is surely a noob questions, though aside from CGC stuff, I am an experienced collector (35+ years, lots of books...). 

Can someone tell me how to figure out the cost of submitting/grading an expensive, older book. The best I can see on the CGC website seems to be 3% of market value for walkthrough. All the other max values are too low. How much would it cost to grade and slab a high grade copy of X-Men 1, for example, valued at around 25k at current "fair market value". 3% of that is $750, which is getting too steep. Any help appreciated. 

It sounds like you understand perfectly fine. Everything you said is correct AFAIK. 

agree, sounds like you've got a solid grasp of it.  HOWEVER, within your decision making process (if you're still pondering), don't forget to count some of the other associated costs, like shipping and insurance BOTH WAYS, CGC invoice fee, possibly your membership fee (which will likely be a available as a credit against your submission but check on it just in case), possibly packing materials for the shipment TO CGC.  And if you think it prudent, possible costs of pressing/cleaning.  And for some people, possibly opportunity cost, inflation, general risk of damage/theft during shipping or grading or not getting the grade you expect.  The shipping itself might end up being another $100-$200+ depending on your method.  

On 1/24/2022 at 4:26 PM, PiggyTTV said:
On 1/24/2022 at 4:04 PM, alexml. said:

It sounds like you understand perfectly fine. Everything you said is correct AFAIK. 

Yup. You don't pay, you don't get to play.

On 1/24/2022 at 5:04 PM, alexml. said:

How much would it cost to grade and slab a high grade copy of X-Men 1, for example, valued at around 25k at current "fair market value". 3% of that is $750, which is getting too steep. Any help appreciated. 

If you're planning to sell, the ROI is much too high to pass on. 2c

On 1/25/2022 at 7:34 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you're planning to sell, the ROI is much too high to pass on. 2c

Thanks much for the replies. I’m of many minds on such things and don’t want to inadvertently revisit what are surely tired discussions ‘round these parts. I’ve learned a lot reading these forums.
I don’t doubt the above truth - indeed, I and I’m sure most others would be hard pressed to consider buying a book at this level without professional grading. On the other hand, it’s a lot of money. In terms of ROI, I have a stack of silver age keys that I’d love to have slabbed, but at the price multiplied a few times, I could buy a really nice book or two (if I had the money, lol ). I’m an old timer, I guess. Fwiw, I paid $500 in the early ‘90s for the book I mentioned to start this discussion, a nice X-men 1. Hard to beat that for ROI! Of course, if I want to sell it, I will need to invest in the process. Could be a good excuse for a road trip if “walkthrough” is an actual, literal thing. 

Edited by alexml.

On 1/25/2022 at 2:36 PM, PiggyTTV said:
On 1/25/2022 at 2:34 PM, alexml. said:

Could be a good excuse for a road trip if “walkthrough” is an actual, literal thing

It is not. Only authorized dealers are currently allowed to drop off books at CGC.

if you bringing in a big enough book (and I don't think this one qualifies), my guess is you can make a private arrangement with CGC about what is/isn't allowed with regards to physically getting the book to CGC.