• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your preference for pressing temperature and time
5 5

83 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2022 at 5:58 PM, Hero Restoration said:

If I do the math,  that's an average of 1500 books a month plus cons. I know how many people and presses that would take and..............hm

Took one person. Won’t tell you how many presses but  >1 and < 200. 

Here is another example of a DIYer that had no clue how to prep a book or press properly. Unfortunately the company is widely known on Facebook and has lots of followers. Positive this book was previously pressed, and quite poorly.

How many mistakes can you find?

C2B0A1F6-8060-412E-A14F-F2D7C5E3B5F3.thumb.jpeg.2e6d6ec31470eb26cebfc72a40270099.jpeg

On 2/24/2022 at 7:36 PM, joeypost said:

Here is another example. 100% sure what they used to clean this book up. Don’t think I can do much for it at this point but take out the micro ripples introduced by a miserable press job. 

6055A8A3-24EC-485C-A4D1-7CA6B6E9DE93.thumb.jpeg.870e1138713a3da8d6a2b4dac0ebc9e0.jpeg

ED1EDE45-166A-4BC8-AD9A-080DF9C687A0.thumb.jpeg.fc927b0d674461efe97b6218c03c324e.jpeg

Yikes, looks to me wrinkles from using too much heat.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:23 AM, bayesian_acolyte said:

Asking the advice of more experienced people isn't taking a shortcut, it's common sense and best practice when trying to learn anything new.

Imagine if someone was trying to learn how to build a deck for their house, and they post a question about deck building to a related online forum, and all the replies are deriding them for daring to try to take shortcuts instead of just experimenting building a bunch of practice decks. Like sure, there's no singular right way to build a deck, it depends on the type of deck you want, the budget, the local conditions, etc., and it's impossible to fully convey all the nuances of deck-building in a forum response. But there are still some general best practices that can be conveyed in text, and it's possible to point the questioner to some learning resources ("gems of wisdom") that are out there.

I can understand not wanting to answer, maybe because someone is worried about their secrets getting out (gotta protect those 10 month wait times) or maybe because they just don't feel like taking the time to answer. That's totally reasonable, it's your time and expertise, you aren't under any obligation to teach. But pretending like this is a skill where teaching is of no help is not reasonable. Pretending like it's not possible to give useful advice on the question OP asked is not reasonable. Making fun of them for daring to ask a question and trying to improve is not reasonable. 

Well said.  Unfortunately these forums are not immune from the trend toward online rudeness.  A good rule of thumb is not to answer someone's post in a way you wouldn't answer to their face.

On 2/26/2022 at 6:34 PM, joeypost said:

This thread is filled with so much win. I am truly humbled. 

I wanna play to.

Applicable to all books, all eras, all flaws- humidify for 2 full days, then immediately press at 130 degrees for 9 minutes.  Submit for certification within the hour and a 9.8 is guaranteed.

For the win.  :banana:  :acclaim:  

On 2/27/2022 at 7:59 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I wanna play to.

Applicable to all books, all eras, all flaws- humidify for 2 full days, then immediately press at 130 degrees for 9 minutes.  Submit for certification within the hour and a 9.8 is guaranteed.

For the win.  :banana:  :acclaim:  

I like to transfer my books straight from the press into a thermo pizza delivery bag. I mail that bag straight to CGC so all my books still arrive piping hot into the graders hands.

On 3/1/2022 at 3:06 PM, Stronguy said:

There are some "experts" out there who use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean white area.  Using this and telling others to use it is criminal.  It literally rips the gloss off the book.

IMG_7088.thumb.JPG.d1e68fbfb32334271dd284f378f7b108.JPG

IMG_7089.thumb.JPG.e6dd44d12d61aa0d30b1a9d4761c02d6.JPG

Looks like they used sand paper.