• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the protocol for when you a trade?
2 2

8 posts in this topic

I am going to trade a 2.0 book for a 1.5 book plus $650 cash.

My feeling is that when I have the more expensive book, I should get the cash and the 1.5 book before I ship the 2.0 book. Another option would be to get the cash and wait until I see the 1.5 book is on its way to me (after it has shown than it is on its way to the next point), and then I send my 2.0 book.

I have never traded books online. I have done a few face-to-face trades, but no online ones. If you have traded online, how did you do it? I am just looking for some guidance.

Thanks!

I have done two trades with board members. In both cases, the board members were well known and established people I trusted. In both cases I was "trading up", so I had the lower value book plus cash.

I shipped the books and cash first and made sure the other party was whole. Once they were satisfied everything was as described, they shipped my book. 

I think that's probably the only way to do it. The only alternative would be, if your within driving distance you could meet somewhere and do it in person. 

I mean if you are that worried, have them call you. Exchange tracking numbers, take a quick second to confirm that its in the system, then send the money? Ask for a picture of the receipt? Ask for a picture of the package to confirm it has been packaged? All are things that I have done. Some could be faked sure but if a seller is willing to do all that, I think all will go down a-OK. The biggest thing is references. If I have zero way to get a reference and no one can vouch for them in any capacity either on here or on the sites I used, I avoid.

I also avoid Instagram like the plague for buying, selling and trading. It's too wild of a community there for me. Some great people, some not so great and a LOT of lowballers who just want keys for cheap so they can flip them. 

On 1/25/2022 at 7:07 PM, Math Teacher said:

I am going to trade a 2.0 book for a 1.5 book plus $650 cash.

My feeling is that when I have the more expensive book, I should get the cash and the 1.5 book before I ship the 2.0 book. Another option would be to get the cash and wait until I see the 1.5 book is on its way to me (after it has shown than it is on its way to the next point), and then I send my 2.0 book.

I have never traded books online. I have done a few face-to-face trades, but no online ones. If you have traded online, how did you do it? I am just looking for some guidance.

Thanks!

You can create shipping labels at the same time before the books are physically sent. So once both of you have shipping labels, confirmed addresses and the like, you can then both just ship your books and they can send you the cash.

Edited by William-James88

I've done many trades on the boards. I've never bothered engaging any strict protocol. If I didn't trust the person I was trading with then I wouldn't have bothered to agree to the trade in the first place. We agree on the trade and just ship the books to each other simultaneously or at least within a reasonable time. If money is going one way then just include a check in the shipment or, if payment is electronic, send it right around when the book is shipped.