• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Congrats
4 4

93 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2022 at 9:21 AM, gumbydarnit said:

Glen better update his prices constantly or he'll inadvertently have a half price sale during a volatile crypto day : )   

It's like that old game show "Press Your Luck"....people timing slamming their hand down on the  "Buy it Now!" button with the nadir of Etherium prices: 

NO WHAMMIES!!!
giphy-36.gif.d874befea168e4b39cca8d6f68e81885.gif

Edited by comix4fun

On 1/26/2022 at 8:02 AM, vodou said:

I've never watched, is it indeed a disaster?

I’ve not watched in a while. But judging from the amount of pieces posted still for sale post show, I’m gonna assume yes. It def was towards the start of it. 

Edited by cloud cloddie

It really makes zero sense to me. He's had that Batman 98 cover by Finch for a LONG time priced at 17k IIRC and it wouldn't move.

So he prices it higher and demands crypto and it's on hold?

WTF.

Edited by aqn83

On 1/26/2022 at 10:02 AM, vodou said:

I've never watched, is it indeed a disaster?

It's abysmal.

CAF Live Auctions, Mike and Anthony at least have personalities and a lot of what they do is cringe, but they don't take themselves seriously and its somewhat entertaining.

I've watched Dealmakers once and I had to shut it off, it was like watching paint dry.

On 1/26/2022 at 6:07 AM, Bird said:

I have no idea, but I imagine he is trying to appeal to the crypto guys and this way they can just transfer directly? Again, just guessing.

This was my thought as well. All it takes it one or two to go "Gee, this is only 10ETH? I spent more on a digital image of a monkey with a popsicle yesterday."

On 1/26/2022 at 11:55 AM, aqn83 said:

It's abysmal.

CAF Live Auctions, Mike and Anthony at least have personalities and a lot of what they do is cringe, but they don't take themselves seriously and its somewhat entertaining.

I've watched Dealmakers once and I had to shut it off, it was like watching paint dry.

“Personalities” 

On 1/26/2022 at 2:02 PM, glenbru said:

The 11 pieces I offered to crypto buyers have been on my site for over a month at a lower price

So you offered them at a higher price, in a less accessible manner. This is on top of you and your friends working to artificially push the market higher -- and doing it right in front of everyone on YouTube. And I am supposed to be amiable?

I presume your new clients are less informed than the rest of us. If that is your preferred path, i.e. selling to rubes, well then I hope you are successful. Just stop pretending that you are a collector like the rest of us or care about the long-term health of the hobby. 

On 1/26/2022 at 10:23 AM, comix4fun said:

It's like that old game show "Press Your Luck"....people timing slamming their hand down on the  "Buy it Now!" button with the nadir of Etherium prices: 

NO WHAMMIES!!!
giphy-36.gif.d874befea168e4b39cca8d6f68e81885.gif

when is the deal finalized? when you hit the whammie or when he whammies you!

"I want the 3:43 pm EST price!" "Sorry, we're using the 3:37 pm EST price, 3:43? nah, sorry. How about 3:52?"

On 1/26/2022 at 1:42 PM, Race said:

So you offered them at a higher price, in a less accessible manner. This is on top of you and your friends working to artificially push the market higher -- and doing it right in front of everyone on YouTube. And I am supposed to be amiable?

I presume your new clients are less informed than the rest of us. If that is your preferred path, i.e. selling to rubes, well then I hope you are successful. Just stop pretending that you are a collector like the rest of us or care about the long-term health of the hobby. 

Everyone is responsible for the health of the hobby. That includes collectors that want to consign art to me at 2x or 3x their retail value. At a certain point, if I can’t get inventory in at a fair selling price I have to take it at a higher and raise prices. It’s easy to point a finger but everyone needs to take some responsibility. And that include the auction houses and the people that bid those items up to where they are now. To stay in business and continue to offer great art, buyers with deeper pockets are required  — that potentially could be the crypto market.

On 1/26/2022 at 4:05 PM, glenbru said:

To stay in business and continue to offer great art, buyers with deeper pockets are required...

I concede that bit above is snipped from the overall post (which is never completely fair), but in or out of context it still pretty much says the same thing. 

Are Dealers unhappy with the Hobby's willingness (or lack thereof) to go along with current pricing? 

Despite some grumbling, I was under the impression that buyers were still being found with little difficulty. 

A contraction in the hobby (while a consummation devoutly to be wished) is clearly NOT imminent.

Edited by thethedew