• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 50 Resubmission with Clean and Press
1 1

13 posts in this topic

It's a great looking example.  Nice colors, edges, and white pages.  What can you see?  Can you see pressable features?  Is there enough cleaning that could be remedied?  Not sure how much of the foxing can be corrected, if any, ever.  Possible that the foxing has brought this copy down a bit, as it looks all of 7.0 and better otherwise.  Many folks here with much, much more expertise and experience.  I think I saw a post about correcting stains just this week, or weekend.

What have you been told previously?

On 1/25/2022 at 9:32 PM, Chief1332 said:

It's a great looking example.  Nice colors, edges, and white pages.  What can you see?  Can you see pressable features?  Is there enough cleaning that could be remedied?  Not sure how much of the foxing can be corrected, if any, ever.  Possible that the foxing has brought this copy down a bit, as it looks all of 7.0 and better otherwise.  Many folks here with much, much more expertise and experience.  I think I saw a post about correcting stains just this week, or weekend.

What have you been told previously?

The only thing that I have to go on is the graders notes that I attached.  It looks like a very solid 7.0 as it is and I feel that the defects pointed out in the notes could be rectified by the C&P.  As you suggest, the one issue that may not be remedied is the foxing on the back cover. Even 0.5 point improvement could be justified but a bump to 8.0 would make a nice ROI.

On 1/25/2022 at 6:38 PM, Danno561 said:

It looks like a very solid 7.0.

Agreed!  (thumbsu

On 1/25/2022 at 6:38 PM, Danno561 said:

I feel that the defects pointed out in the notes could be rectified by [a] C&P.

But I think you're mistaken here.  Dry cleaning generally will not remove discolorations caused by foxing, and pressing will not restore ink to color-breaking creases and spine ticks (all three of which are called out in the grader's notes).  Of course, nothing I've said here eliminates the possibility of a grade bump upon resubmission (even without a cleaning and/or pressing).  I've seen a bunch of seriously overgraded books come out of Sarasota lately.  :facepalm:

z3.jpg.b5a301f42854a302e30eef359815c3b4.jpg  z2.thumb.jpg.f47465c847d892372b94cc46c23ca242.jpg  z1.jpg.df107840bd0ea4bf20ed23726651f08b.jpg

On 1/26/2022 at 9:56 AM, zzutak said:

Agreed!  (thumbsu

But I think you're mistaken here.  Dry cleaning generally will not remove discolorations caused by foxing, and pressing will not restore ink to color-breaking creases and spine ticks (all three of which are called out in the grader's notes).  Of course, nothing I've said here eliminates the possibility of a grade bump upon resubmission (even without a cleaning and/or pressing).  I've seen a bunch of seriously overgraded books come out of Sarasota lately.  :facepalm:

z3.jpg.b5a301f42854a302e30eef359815c3b4.jpg  z2.thumb.jpg.f47465c847d892372b94cc46c23ca242.jpg  z1.jpg.df107840bd0ea4bf20ed23726651f08b.jpg

Thank you very much for this insight.  I was not sure on the foxing so I appreciate this input. Since the spine stress lines and the light creases were not color breaking, I (falsely perhaps) assumed that these could be eliminated through a well executed press.  This book shows better than most of the 7.5’s that I own but this many speak more to the inconsistencies between appearance and grading.  Barring any additional input, I will probably save the $300 in grading and pressing costs and retain it as it is.

I'm no expert, but I don't believe the "graders notes" necessarily provide a comprehensive list of defects factored into the grading.  It looks to me - and this might be the slab - that there could be some "bends" on the right side of the FC that would press out.  Not sure if that's worth the added cost, especially if you don't get a grade bump, but a C&P can make a book look better.

As others have noted, this is a very nice looking book.  Congrats on having it!

From what I see I don't think the press would help the problems with the book that are causing most of the grade which to me the biggest things I see are the spine ticks that are kind of deep, the bottom right corner, foxing and that crease on the top middle edge.  It does seem like maybe it was undegraded a half grade possibly to me, but hard to tell with pics through a slab.

Way too many spine creases and the bottom right corner is very soft with multiple diagonal creases. It's going to be a 7.0 no matter what you do with it. IMO, you're lucky it's not a 6.5 with the bottom right corner damage. Take the 7.0 and run.