• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White pages vs Off-white...Is it that big of a deal?
2 2

53 posts in this topic

Here's a question:

There is Bronze Age book you you want and in 21 years of CGC only 1 is grade 9.8 and it has OW/W pages.  There are several 9.6's with WP. Do you continue to wait (possible rest of your life) for a 9.8 WP or do you grab the 9.8 OW/W?

I can tell you I go for the 9.8ow/w every time, but I have collector buddies who prefer to wait forever.   I have one such example of the case I described in my current signature. I also do wonder if re-submitted would it get WP? Perhaps? In general I feel pre 2015 CGC was more strict on paper quality. 

IMHO CGC should sell same comparison strips (or whatever they are called)  they use to measure page quality as well as mention what recommended type of lighting and wattage to use. That way remove some of the guessing for those submitting.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/29/2022 at 3:06 PM, MAR1979 said:

Here's a question:

There is Bronze Age book you you want and in 21 years of CGC only 1 is grade 9.8 and it has OW/W pages.  There are several 9.6's with WP. Do you continue to wait (possible rest of your life) for a 9.8 WP or do you grab the 9.8 OW/W?

I can tell you I go for the 9.8ow/w every time, but I have collector buddies who prefer to wait forever.   I have one such example of the case I described in my current signature. I also do wonder if re-submitted would it get WP? Perhaps? In general I feel pre 2015 CGC was more strict on paper quality. 

IMHO CGC should sell same comparison strips (or whatever they are called)  they use to measure page quality as well as mention what recommended type of lighting and wattage to use. That way remove some of the guessing for those submitting.

First, I’d want to have a good look at the 9.8 OW/W.

Chances are, there’s a superior copy now sitting in a 9.6 W holder. 

On 1/29/2022 at 1:06 PM, MAR1979 said:

Here's a question:

Isn't there variation between original paper pulp quality that would, if based solely on color, cause one "OW" color to be considered "WP" in a different book from a different paper source or different era? There are some series and years where the paper quality lends itself to much whiter bone-white WP than others. 

Was that why the Owl cards were discontinued?

On 1/29/2022 at 6:56 PM, jcjames said:

Isn't there variation between original paper pulp quality that would, if based solely on color, cause one "OW" color to be considered "WP" in a different book from a different paper source or different era? There are some series and years where the paper quality lends itself to much whiter bone-white WP than others. 

Was that why the Owl cards were discontinued?

you make a good point.

Take 1977-1980 Marvel for example, I don't think those pages were truly white from the moment that cheap paper was manufactured.

Still there must be a metric by publisher and era...?

On 1/29/2022 at 12:20 PM, MAR1979 said:

Want to hear about WP talk to Bob Storms,  I  think that guy would take a 8.5 WP over a 9.8OW  :)

Book in old school slab I picked raw for $2 in the late 1990's then self submitted. Book in modern slab cost me a lot more that

When I view the top, bottom and side of the books through the slabs the pages on the older slab look just as if not more white. Given the older slabs are not as transparently clear as new I do think if I re-submitted the old it would get bump.  Since mine encased in only 9.8 in in original CGC slab I'm not going to do that. I've soft spot for the old slab labels.

BTW the reason I picked up the new slab is I wanted a copy with WP.

P.S. Love the story and cover of this book.  My favorite in the Godzilla run. Now if Disney and Toho could get the Avengers and Godzilla to square off in the same feature film I think many heads would explode due to Pop culture overload.

Godzilla23_slab1st.thumb.jpg.7b2b45e54ee5cb19df81cbedf45fedd9.jpgGodzilla23_slab3rd.thumb.jpg.268abf932da60c2d1050ff270709977d.jpg

My personal collecting rules - I've zero issues with 9.8 ow/w for Silver or Bronze. If book is 1981 or newer then must be WP.   For 9.6 WP if book is post 1975, 70-72 OW/W is OK, 73-75 case by case basis,  Silver  9.6 OW/W is still fine by me.

The WP book is clearly a better presenter. Don't get the inside cover reflection. Someone said that's a trick of the slab, but I have seen that raw. Sweet books! You must love them!

On 1/29/2022 at 4:52 PM, MAR1979 said:

you make a good point.

Take 1977-1980 Marvel for example, I don't think those pages were truly white from the moment that cheap paper was manufactured.

Still there must be a metric by publisher and era...?

Tell me . . . is this W or OW? hm

MAR.jpg.a1f047ba936c6c55ff87dbf5c94255bd

On 1/27/2022 at 12:27 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

How about just eliminating the PQ designation 

^^
575D6034-E6B0-488B-B5E4-AEA7231666F0.jpeg.5b4b8bbf631c308a0e25824e53eb561e.jpeg

Based on the Cert # look ups around 50% of the books graded late in 1999  had no page quality notation.  I have one of them, my first CGC graded DC and ran me $40 in March 2000.  My guess is the WP only crowd will avoid these. What I can say based on my experience with the earliest slabs is CCG was more strict on grading than just a year later.

WW196.thumb.jpg.1967bb82c9f14d70a64e6334672d9486.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/29/2022 at 1:38 AM, NP_Gresham said:

In my opinion WP is over-rated, but ‘my opinion’ matters not when the books go to market. I am a believer in WP and centering now

I saw this comment and I feel like it deserves more attention. 

Because I think this is exactly true. 

When I began collecting comics, I’ve always been into getting books signed. Reading books… displaying books…

I actually did not like CGC/CBCS graded books much at all… because I thought they were too expensive. 

This went on for years. And years. 

However… what changed my mind and my perspective was what changed in my collecting habits for my hobby. 

I wanted to sell some of my books. 
This changed everything. This changed, slowly, and with push back, how I engaged, viewed, and ultimately collected. Unfortunately. The old collector of me is long dead. Long live the 9.8 Signature Series collector, white pages, centring. 

Because I tell you something, collecting your own books is great, and so much fun! (In a bubble) But once you have to sell those books, for whatever reason? My prayers go out to you. 

Sorry for the rant but it really was a profound statement that really hit home. 

Comic book hobbyists collect for all sorts of different reasons, but the second that collection involves anyone else? Like having to sell it for instance, better is better. Better is easier and more sought after. So buy the best that you can. 

Unless money doesn’t matter to you, then you are blessed and none of this applies.