• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White pages vs Off-white...Is it that big of a deal?
2 2

53 posts in this topic

On 1/28/2022 at 1:59 AM, Grendel72 said:

Wow that's impressive.  U must have quite a collection 

I just collect few books. 

I don’t own a store or have a 250 sq ft room dedicated to storing boxes and boxes of collectibles. 

I don’t collect entire runs of any particular character or series. 

I just focus on a few key books that I love, for my own reasons, and I strive to collect the best possible copy of that particular issue.

I also understand that my collecting habits and methods do not align very often with others, but I also feel strongly with how I see the hobby, and feel the importance of voicing my opinion. 

Often this opinion is met with extreme prejudice on these boards, as they are not the norm, however I also believe that most collectors on these boards are borderline hoarders and OCD, giving advice that I tend to disagree with. 

For all we know, comic books and their values could plummet, becoming nearly valueless, or they may skyrocket in value, only being for the ultra elite. 

In either scenario, if you focus your attention to a razor edge and get your absolute favourite and happiest copy of what issue you enjoy most, you’ll never regret your decision. When you have that one issue, then move on to the next. 

One issue at a time. 

The answer to this question isn’t so straight forward to me.  I’m focused on bronze and copper ASM books and while there may be a lot of them out available for purchase at any given time, the price differential between ow/w and w pages does factor into how much I am willing to pay for a book, and even if I have interest in pursuing the book at all.

case in point … asm 300 cgc 9.8 - so many copies available.  I will only pursue white pages, even though a copy with ow/w may cost $1K less

asm 238 and 252 cgc 9.8 CPV’s…I am fine with ow/w or even ow.  These books are not that common in this grade (especially the 238) so I’m not as picky.

asm 129 in cgc 9.8.  The difference between ow/w vs w pages can be $5K+ so I have to do some serious soul searching before pulling the trigger on this book

On 1/28/2022 at 10:40 PM, D2 said:

I don’t own a store or have a 250 sq ft room dedicated to storing boxes and boxes of collectibles. 

I just focus on a few key books that I love, for my own reasons, and I strive to collect the best possible copy of that particular issue.

I also understand that my collecting habits and methods do not align very often with others, but I also feel strongly with how I see the hobby, and feel the importance of voicing my opinion. 

Often this opinion is met with extreme prejudice on these boards, as they are not the norm, however I also believe that most collectors on these boards are borderline hoarders and OCD, giving advice that I tend to disagree with. 

For all we know, comic books and their values could plummet, becoming nearly valueless, or they may skyrocket in value, only being for the ultra elite. 

In either scenario, if you focus your attention to a razor edge and get your absolute favourite and happiest copy of what issue you enjoy most, you’ll never regret your decision. When you have that one issue, then move on to the next. 

One issue at a time. 

It's all good. You should collect what you like. A collection doesn't need to be huge to be impressive. And not every comment is an attack. 

As for PQ, I would love white pages but as my interests have developed and knowledge too, I have bought books I would never have considered when I started. I own 2 GA coverless books , one brittle and one slightly brittle. Prefer they weren't but that's all I could afford. And yet, It got me to learn (alot on these boards) that not all brittle pages are the same. And so when I buy now, i have a bit more knowledge what to look out for and  I warmly embrace  all books regardless of PQ depending on scarcity and costs. 

You'll find varying opinions on this. I would hazard to guess more people would care about the centering/color depth of the book rather than pages. There are some cases where for whatever reason a specific issue number is frustratingly tough to find in white like Silver Surfer 1 or just a rando issue of the top of my head like ASM 48 or maybe 49. In those cases you might have to pony up some more. If you dig deep enough into sales data for bronze silver, as I think some boardies have posted before, you may find white pagers *slightly* outperform in general. 

I think two general things to keep in mind: the older the book is the more attractive the white pages and once you get lower than off white the value gets dinged. In my case, I've discovered the hard way you can't obsess on pages at the expense of centering! A poorly wrapped book may eventually overtake what's on the label driving you to want to replace. But hey that's just one opinion.

On 1/28/2022 at 6:44 PM, Grendel72 said:

It's all good. You should collect what you like. A collection doesn't need to be huge to be impressive. And not every comment is an attack. 

As for PQ, I would love white pages but as my interests have developed and knowledge too, I have bought books I would never have considered when I started. I own 2 GA coverless books , one brittle and one slightly brittle. Prefer they weren't but that's all I could afford. And yet, It got me to learn (alot on these boards) that not all brittle pages are the same. And so when I buy now, i have a bit more knowledge what to look out for and  I warmly embrace  all books regardless of PQ depending on scarcity and costs. 

No harm done. 
I didn’t interpret your comments as attacks at all. I was more commenting on my past experiences. 

I do agree though, at the end of it all, the budget is was determines the purchase and if one overstretches the wallet, it doesn’t matter how desirable the item will be. It won’t outweigh the financial stress it causes. 

I have also had to give up on a few books, which were once out of reach, have now become unrealistic. 

My Batman 251 is a CGC 9.0 with o/w pages. It's a sweet book. Whoever buys it will want the book. I have books with all page quality except brown. Cream to o/w through white. At this point, I'm collecting covers. Can't read them. Plus graders muff the grades. Who's to say they haven't muffed the page quality?

At some point. all books will have brown pages. Have to figure a HUGE amount of book grades are no longer accurate. At least concerning page quality. Maybe grades should lose their license after a certain amount of time. To renew the grade, they must be sent back in and regraded concerning page quality. That'll frick them out.

I got most of the books in my collection with no intent of ever selling them. About halfway through I realized SOMEONE would be selling them eventually.

Slabbing is almost always for resale purposes (or resto check) . Believe me when you go to sell you will appreciate how much the “WP” designation helps with resale. I was fortunate to get a “WP” designation on a Strange Tales #89 I submitted. My PM’s blew up when it became clear I was selling my books.

In my opinion WP is over-rated, but ‘my opinion’ matters not when the books go to market. I am a believer in WP and centering now

On 1/29/2022 at 1:38 AM, NP_Gresham said:

In my opinion WP is over-rated, but ‘my opinion’ matters not when the books go to market. I am a believer in WP and centering now

I agree. When I began collecting again, it was a new world in collecting for me. In fact, the very 1st book I bought upon return was a Batman #9. An 8.0 beauty. When it arrived in the mail, I took it out of the box and saw it was in a plastic holder. I thought it was a shipping container! Well, how do I get the book out.

I got hold of it and was about to pull the thing apart at the seams and something in my brain said "Wait. WAIT! Maybe it's SUPPOSED to be like this". All this was at the dawn of the internet, really. I ordered the book using a clients computer. I had no idea about CBCS, PGX or CGC.

ANYHOO. As I went along, I started becoming aware of centering more than page quality. I don't have a huge collection compared to others. Although if you believed my wife, you might think I have jammed every square inch of our house with comic books.

Page quality (to me) doesn't matter all that much unless they are brown. CR/OW is ok. O/W is ok. Ideally I prefer Ow/WP quality. That at least reflects the books history and age. Seems "reasonable", you know? White pages almost seem like fakery to me.

Centering is much more important to me now. When I went to buy a Bat 234, I wanted one perfectly centered. I wanted one that included the entire "The RETURN of TWO-FACE" banner. THAT was hard to find. Found a nice 9.0. Then was told "Yah, but that's MISCUT!" Maybe to them. To me, the spam strip wrapped perfectly down the spine and the entire banner meant more artwork.

Same with Green Lantern/Green Arrow 87. Had to have the entirety of GL's foot. The vast majority have the foot cut in varying degrees of severity. That's a really tough find as well.

I believe centering to be more important than page quality for my collection. I have books I need to replace now because of it. Just wasn't thinking at first.

29277533._SY475_.jpg

Screen-Shot-2021-04-08-at-2.20.55-PM-580x892.png

On 1/29/2022 at 10:51 AM, Randall Ries said:

No. Never heard of pink. Was that legit? Like they printed on pink paper for Jo-Jo's benefit or the possible female reader back then?

I learned of it here on the boards. here is a brief discussion

Edited by Bird

On 1/28/2022 at 9:40 AM, D2 said:

One issue at a time. 

Join the crowd. I sure get that. Even when I'm deadnuts correct, I get someone who ignores it and tells me to "lose the tone". Maybe it deserved a "tone". Sometimes if you don't "toney" it up, the point is lost.

I can't even afford everything I would LIKE to have. Say nothing about entire series or even runs. I set my goals in a reasonable fashion. I have been a collector for many years of different things. I was always impacted negatively whenever I had "too much" of a given item. The items lost their significance and importance and it began feeling like work or money. Neither of those two things are high on my list of importance.

Andy Rooney voice: "Ever notice when YOU are making a difficult point, you are considered 'Obnoxious' by a certain person, but when the same person is making a difficult point, they consider themselves 'passionate'? I have."

On 1/29/2022 at 11:50 AM, Bird said:

I learned of it here on the boards. here is a brief discussion

Thanks! There aren't very many examples of pink pages I could find. One, to be exact. The Fabulous, Furry Freak Brothers books were printed with pink pages. Sort of, I guess. Doesn't look all that pink. I guess this one is aged.

s-l1600.jpg

Want to hear about WP talk to Bob Storms,  I  think that guy would take a 8.5 WP over a 9.8OW  :)

Book in old school slab I picked raw for $2 in the late 1990's then self submitted. Book in modern slab cost me a lot more that

When I view the top, bottom and side of the books through the slabs the pages on the older slab look just as if not more white. Given the older slabs are not as transparently clear as new I do think if I re-submitted the old it would get bump.  Since mine encased in only 9.8 in in original CGC slab I'm not going to do that. I've soft spot for the old slab labels.

BTW the reason I picked up the new slab is I wanted a copy with WP.

P.S. Love the story and cover of this book.  My favorite in the Godzilla run. Now if Disney and Toho could get the Avengers and Godzilla to square off in the same feature film I think many heads would explode due to Pop culture overload.

Godzilla23_slab1st.thumb.jpg.7b2b45e54ee5cb19df81cbedf45fedd9.jpgGodzilla23_slab3rd.thumb.jpg.268abf932da60c2d1050ff270709977d.jpg

My personal collecting rules - I've zero issues with 9.8 ow/w for Silver or Bronze. If book is 1981 or newer then must be WP.   For 9.6 WP if book is post 1975, 70-72 OW/W is OK, 73-75 case by case basis,  Silver  9.6 OW/W is still fine by me.

Edited by MAR1979

Supposedly, there was a paper shortage when it was time to run this printing of Freak Brothers #1.  And so they used pink paper they had on hand.  Along the bottom edge, you get a glimpse of the pink interior on this deslabbed copy.

FFFB1pink.jpg.5399f2e1f275a7a1e3588bbc7ef7f1e1.jpg

Edited by namisgr