Nominating Pyrotechnic - just a straight up scammer and should probably be banned
6 6

80 posts in this topic

I'm fairly new to this forum and the hobby so I don't know how much of a problem scammers are here. I had my reservations about transacting through here and they've been confirmed. This was only the second person to message me about a deal. The probation list is great but what's to stop someone just making a new account and trying it again. Obviously unsuspecting newbies are the easy target. 

Screenshot_20220127-130459_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220127-130505_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220127-130511_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220127-130514_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220127-130517_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220127-130525_Samsung Internet.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There have been reports of new accounts trying to pull off scams like this in the WTB section. Usually they say something like "my cousin's got exactly the book your looking for, just email him"

Usually it's pretty easy to pick them out and the mods delete their accounts asap. 

Overall the boards are a good and safe place to buy and sell comics.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/27/2022 at 3:05 PM, KCOComics said:

There have been reports of new accounts trying to pull off scams like this in the WTB section. Usually they say something like "my cousin's got exactly the book your looking for, just email him"

Usually it's pretty easy to pick them out and the mods delete their accounts asap. 

Overall the boards are a good and safe place to buy and sell comics.  

That's reassuring. Thanks for your response.

I'm just glad I'd actually done some research beforehand so I didn't fall for this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/27/2022 at 10:02 AM, Bushopofoz said:

That's reassuring. Thanks for your response.

I'm just glad I'd actually done some research beforehand so I didn't fall for this. 

Have a read of the opening post here Bush:

 

Pyro is online right now, reading this thread. 

pyro.thumb.PNG.0ab3ef18d9f03e2c715f4a25c5b12d37.PNG

I don't think a nomination is required, as they are not an established member - they appear to have just signed up to scam someone. CGC Mike will likely delete their account if he agrees. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got a pm for that scum too.

Here are some tips on how i avoid getting ripped.

1. After getting a scan, you can do a reserve image search to make sure it’s not just some random picture gotten from the internet.

2. You can request a picture with a tag or a piece of paper showing username and date so you know they truly have the book. 

3. You can have them list it on an escrow that way you are both protected

4. Make sure you pay with PayPal G&S or any other platform that provides security for both parties, you’ll always get your money back if they don’t fulfill their end of the deal. 

Everything listed here is not too much to ask if you will be paying hard end money over an internet transaction.

Now lets see how those scum of the earth can rip anyone off 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Boards are chock full of many long-term, trustworthy dealers, from the local to the national, and collectors. I would suggest checking the Comics Market - Forum Only Selling Area regularly. Until you know your way around the Boards, the WTB section may not be your best bet and I'd ALWAYS avoid PMs from anyone with such a low post count looking to sell a high-ticket book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/27/2022 at 6:52 AM, Pyrotechnic said:

money

 

On 1/27/2022 at 6:52 AM, Pyrotechnic said:

piece of paper with drawings on them

how are these things different? I trade one secondary reinforcer for another buddy!

"needed", see how that slipped out. we are the scum because we have what he is trying to take, because he needs it more

 

And have you ever been on a more charitable online space? I think not. (Unless you are a Buffalo Bills fan perhaps.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/27/2022 at 6:34 AM, Pontoon said:

The Boards are chock full of many long-term, trustworthy dealers, from the local to the national, and collectors. I would suggest checking the Comics Market - Forum Only Selling Area regularly. Until you know your way around the Boards, the WTB section may not be your best bet and I'd ALWAYS avoid PMs from anyone with such a low post count looking to sell a high-ticket book.

To all the n00bs. Sage advice from above. This can be a safe place to buy if you use a bit of common sense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If someone messages me saying they have what I want and have been here for less than 6 months (and seem really inactive), I have flags up times a million until I get references, pictures that make me happy, calling to speak in person even, etc.

Otherwise, I just keep on walking. But definitely reporting and sharing so new folks don't get trapped is key. 

Edited by comicginger1789
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
6 6