• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating Pyrotechnic - just a straight up scammer and should probably be banned
5 5

80 posts in this topic

It is a somewhat interesting insight into the mentality of such people. 

They justify to themselves what they are doing because they imagine that the people they are trying to scam actually deserve it.    

And they "need" the money more than you need your "worthless" comic book.  It becomes a class/elitist thing in their minds.

I mean, it's complete ********, and they would undoubtedly scam someone with barely any money at all if opportunity arose and they could get away with it, and justify that under some completely different rationale, like stupid people don't deserve their money either, or, "it's not a lot and I'm not really hurting anyone", but still interesting.

On 1/27/2022 at 5:50 AM, Pyrotechnic said:

Stfu

On 1/27/2022 at 5:51 AM, Pyrotechnic said:

All of you

I don't know why you people are still talking.

He told all of you to STFU!  (tsk)

I don't know if anyone mentioned it already, but the photos of the swiped books show the back cover in a current generation slab, while the front cover is in a previous generation slab.  Quite the sloppy scam attempt.  Good on @Bushopofoz for being alert!

On 1/27/2022 at 3:52 AM, Pyrotechnic said:

You all are just piece of shot worthless humans spending needed money on piece of paper with drawings on them.

Oh, like pieces of paper with drawings of Benjamin Franklin and Independence Hall? 

What a dufus! (I wish I had more peanut butter - just ran out.)

fixed that problem for ya

On 1/27/2022 at 6:50 AM, Pyrotechnic said:

Stfu  Pat yourself on the back

On 1/27/2022 at 6:51 AM, Pyrotechnic said:

All of you Bushopofoz

On 1/27/2022 at 6:52 AM, Pyrotechnic said:

You all are just piece of shot worthless humans spending needed money a great boardie for spotting and sharing a scam on piece of paper with drawings on them.

Again, this is why new members should not be allowed to participate in the sales forum or send PM's until they reach 100 posts / 12 months membership.

Facewank is leeching onto these boards more and more.

Time to draw a line in the sand - @CGC Mike

On 1/28/2022 at 8:10 PM, Beige said:

Again, this is why new members should not be allowed to participate in the sales forum or send PM's until they reach 100 posts / 12 months membership.

I disagree. Ideally (perfect world) we should work to grow the boards. More people creates more conversation, different perspectives and more buying and selling. 

I think making rules that discourage that growth only hurts the community. 

Honestly, if you look at the last several probation threads, most incidents are with "established" board members.  Also with the hundreds of transactions and trades that occur here, there have been relatively few probation list elections.

Now, all that being said, these burner accounts are a problem.  Luckily, I haven't heard of one of these accounts successfully scamming anyone. But I'm all for a solution to vet them out somehow. 

On 1/28/2022 at 8:10 PM, Beige said:

I disagree, too, I think. It depends what you mean by "participate." I am one of those members without 100+ posts, since I normally don't post a lot (this thread being an exception obvs.) But even being a relative noob, I've made several purchases of what were, for me, fairly big books. It would be a shame if those transactions were precluded merely because of post count. On the other hand, I would also have understood if one of those sellers had said, "hey, you're too new, I need some verification." Maybe that gets added to the seller's rules. Fortunately, in my case, they trusted me, and we all walked away happy. But to not even have the chance, that would be disappointing. If you mean as a seller, instead of post count, maybe a thread over in kudos ought to be required. (I started one solely because I am newer and was thinking about selling here and just assumed some buyers might want more info.)

Anyone buying from a PM and not a sales thread from a new user needs to take some responsibility if they get scammed. You have to expect people to at least try and protect themselves. I think it would be a terrible idea to restrict new members from being able to send PMs until they reach 100 posts. Rules for members shouldn't center around sales and possible issues. 

Fair enough - replies have shown my idea sucks balls.

So for the naysayers - what's the alternative?

I hate to say this - but I think we are heading there - a 'registration fee' to buy and sell.

If you don't want to - fine, you still have access to the rest of the forum.

It's difficult, as 98% of the time, all goes well, but as more and more 'facebook marketplace' types find this place, I doubt that this issue will go away.

I sell a lot on ebay, and the new younger buyers are the ones causing any problems, usually after they burnt their FB bridges (not that all younger buyers are problematical)

It's usually the message written in text-talk that's the first clue!

Honestly, I think we are lucky on here so far - but as the Neeleys showed, things can go bad very, very quickly.