• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does CGC deal with delicate spines when grading a book and should we put a note?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Some GA books have brittle pages. To the point where handling a book may worsen the grade. When it comes to rare and expensive books, slabbing becomes useful since it presents the book nicely while helping me refrain from worsening it if I handle it (basically, I get less worried that I might mess up by handling a book when it's encased). I am worried that the spine of one of the books I intend to send could be worsened if I send it and it is opened flat. So, would it be wise to put a note on the comic saying it is delicate or are CGC graders and handlers expert enough to see that? 

On 1/27/2022 at 1:17 PM, William-James88 said:

Some GA books have brittle pages. To the point where handling a book may worsen the grade. When it comes to rare and expensive books, slabbing becomes useful since it presents the book nicely while helping me refrain from worsening it if I handle it (basically, I get less worried that I might mess up by handling a book when it's encased). I am worried that the spine of one of the books I intend to send could be worsened if I send it and it is opened flat. So, would it be wise to put a note on the comic saying it is delicate or are CGC graders and handlers expert enough to see that? 

Even the best graders can become distracted. Definitely put a note on the bag to attract their attention. Something like this: FRAGILE SPINE! PLEASE HANDLE WITH CARE! THANK YOU!!!  Or something to that effect...  (thumbsu

From (good) personal experience.  I had a Famous Funnies 213 that was in decent shape, but the top staple popped and the bottom was barely hanging on.  We sent a note with the book to be careful.... I was not going to be too surprised if the book came back "detached cover" but it survived the whole process OK and the book is now encapsulated and the bottom staple held.  Not sure if 1) the graders read the note, or 2) they are just usually careful with old books :wishluck:, or 3) I got lucky!  :cheers:

On 1/27/2022 at 9:40 PM, BanjerD said:

From (good) personal experience.  I had a Famous Funnies 213 that was in decent shape, but the top staple popped and the bottom was barely hanging on.  We sent a note with the book to be careful.... I was not going to be too surprised if the book came back "detached cover" but it survived the whole process OK and the book is now encapsulated and the bottom staple held.  Not sure if 1) the graders read the note, or 2) they are just usually careful with old books :wishluck:, or 3) I got lucky!  :cheers:

I jut like that the story ended well. My book has the staples firmly attached but there are spine splits that I do not want worsened.