• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your least favourite Batman era?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Batman is my favourite comic to both collect and read. I love how he spans across different eras and iterations and how a writer or artist will give their own interpretation and build off of the past. As a collector though, there are some eras that I have a lot less in my collection and that I don't go back to much. The ones I like least are in the late 50s (so early silver) where it was just too wacky, with him fighting monsters and the like. I still love collecting where he faces off against classic villains regardless of the era. And when it comes to the modern era, I'm just not a fan of Tom King's work, but that isn't a full out era, just one run.

So which era do you like least?

Stuff in the late-400 issues through a lot of the 500 issues of Batman. Which is funny because those were coming out when I was collecting as a kid. It just feels like the equivalent of the "junk wax" era of baseball cards to me. I don't love a lot of the stories in that run - not a big Azrael fan, the Cataclysm event was ok I guess, same with Contagion...

On 1/27/2022 at 5:45 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Stuff in the late-400 issues through a lot of the 500 issues of Batman. Which is funny because those were coming out when I was collecting as a kid. It just feels like the equivalent of the "junk wax" era of baseball cards to me. I don't love a lot of the stories in that run - not a big Azrael fan, the Cataclysm event was ok I guess, same with Contagion...

What I really love is what we get right after Contagion, Legacy. those giant crossovers amongst all Batman titles were never my favourite but Legacy felt nice and tight. And if I am not mistaken it has 2 issues where you get Jim Apparo's art inked by Bill Sienkiewicz. It's an unlikely combination but it just works so well because you have the contrast of very standard no nonsense Apparo art with that extra scattershot grittiness. And it culminates to a Batman vs Bane rematch. 

There are some big gaps in my Batman familiarity, particularly from about 1975 to 85, all I've read from that era was the Englehart/Rogers Joker story from 1978. Late 80s thru the early part of this century I mostly read Elseworlds/LoTDK type stories, many of which I enjoyed, so I can say I like that era. As for more recent stuff, all I can say is the covers are cool. Prior to all that I loved early Bronze Bats, especially the O'Neil/Adams stuff, and I have a soft spot for the goofy sci-fi oriented late fifties/early 60s Bats. The Sprang illustrated stuff from the early 50s is great, with some fun stories, and who doesn't like the earlier GA Batman, especially the pre-Robin books. I'd have to say my least favorite era that I'm familiar with is mid-late 60s New Look Batman, which tried to be more serious than the early SA stuff, but fell short of the BA effort after Robin left for college. The only cool thing from that era was the introduction of the new Batgirl. 

Edited by rjpb

On 1/27/2022 at 8:14 PM, Pontoon said:

Nevermind. Thought I read MOST favorite era.

You can still let us know what your least favourite is :)

On 1/27/2022 at 9:07 PM, rjpb said:

As for more recent stuff, all I can say is the covers are cool.

Let me know which ones because as a Batman fan who never misses an issue (of either Batman or Detective Comics) I find the covers rather lacklustre. 

On 1/27/2022 at 6:37 PM, William-James88 said:

Let me know which ones because as a Batman fan who never misses an issue (of either Batman or Detective Comics) I find the covers rather lacklustre. 

I guess you are right, I scrolled through the GCD cover gallery, and the sort of covers I recall liking are at least a decade old xD. Checking out GCD, I find it confusing as to what even is the main Batman title anymore. 

Yeah, it's the fifties. I don't know what they were thinking. It obviously made sense at the time, but looking back it's a bit of a travesty. 

On 1/27/2022 at 7:57 PM, D84 said:

New 52

I thought the Snyder Batman run along with Animal Man and Swamp Thing were the only real bright spots to that mistake.