• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's THE SUICIDE SQUAD SPIN-OFF Show #2 from James Gunn (TBD)

13 posts in this topic

EXCLUSIVE: There’s another Suicide Squad spinoff series in the works, James Gunn recently told us on the upcoming episode of Deadline’s Hero Nation.

“We’re working on something else now, another TV show that’s connected to that universe,” Gunn told us, “I can’t quite say.”

In addition, Gunn says about a second season of Peacemaker, which recently dropped episode 5 today, “There’s a really good chance of that.”

“We’re the biggest show in the world right now,” Gunn continued, speaking from the set of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 in Atlanta.

According to sources, Gunn has approached HBO Max with the idea for another series built around one of the characters in Suicide Squad. We hear the project is in the embryonic stages with nothing written or greenlit but HBO Max is said to be high on it based on Gunn’s enthusiasm for the idea.

In a recent interview with Deadline, James Gunn opened up how his next The Suicide Squad spin-off series will be different than Peacemaker. Though he wouldn't offer new details for who will be the center of the next project, the filmmaker did tease that there would be a bit of a genre shift from the John Cena-led series. See what Gunn said below:

“I can’t say anything. It is connected to this universe, and I don’t think it will be the same genre as Peacemaker, it won’t be as much a comedy as Peacemaker, but it will be in the same universe."

Gunn's tease of a different genre for his next The Suicide Squad spin-off series in comparison to that of Peacemaker should be enticing for those eager to see what comes next. While his comments may be appropriately coy to keep the public guessing, his note that there will be less comedy than that of the first show may offer some insight for which character will be getting the solo treatment next, potentially that of Ratcatcher 2 or Polka-Dot Man to further explore their dramatic backstories. 

On 5/24/2022 at 12:56 PM, ▫️ said:

Spin-off’s usually suck but I’d like to see one with this guy.

B70EFA75-B785-43EC-BA49-B2A12E47F4C1.jpeg

I really think it was a mistake to kill him off. There was comedy potential there with the influences of his mother throughout his life.

On 5/24/2022 at 8:56 PM, Bosco685 said:

I really think it was a mistake to kill him off. There was comedy potential there with the influences of his mother throughout his life.

I would still love a “prequel” show of his dysfunctional life leading up to the movie.

On 5/24/2022 at 2:12 PM, ▫️ said:

I would still love a “prequel” show of his dysfunctional life leading up to the movie.

Agreed! That character went from throwaway to actually interesting. Especially that scene what he sees versus everyone else.

the-suicide-squad-polka-dot-man.gif.1189d9fa593251238b4c5752ec8a6fae.gif

In a conversation with The Playlist, Gunn teases the future for his Peacemaker characters, sharing that his other in-the-works DC series will include them in some way. Read Gunn's full quote below:

"I am working very seriously on another DC project, where I’m very involved in the writing and the direction of it. There will be some blending of the characters from ‘Peacemaker’ in the other shows I’m working on. And I’m involved with a couple of other [DC] things too."