• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does encapsulating the book help stop foxing?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2022 at 4:24 PM, William-James88 said:

Foxing is basically mold and I am unsure if a book that has it will worsen over time. Would slabbing a book help stop or slow down the foxing from getting worse?

IMO storing it correctly is a bigger factor, your humidity level is the key factor. If in a slab and high humidity might accelerate it, again just my opinion. I would think a properly buffered backing board, E.gerber full back and mylar would help more than anything at the proper humidity level.

Edited by Finhead

Even though slabs aren't considered airtight, I've noticed that many slabs with inner wells seem to be heat sealed better than they used to be. I would think that factor, along with the improved outer shell, would offer a better level of protection than some of the older slabs.

But of course, that's just my opinion... hm

Edited by The Lions Den

On 1/27/2022 at 9:11 PM, The Lions Den said:

Even though slabs aren't considered airtight, I've noticed that many slabs with inner wells seem to be heat sealed better than they used to be. I would think that factor, along with the improved outer shell, would offer a better level of protection from foxing than some of the older slabs.

But of course, that's just my opinion... hm

I always value your opinion, and I thank you once again. Helping me out twice in one day, thanks!

On 1/27/2022 at 9:32 PM, William-James88 said:

I always value your opinion, and I thank you once again. Helping me out twice in one day, thanks!

You're welcome!

And you ask interesting questions. Truth be told, I do think that proper storage with archival products is essential to maintaining comic books. A cool, dark, climate-controlled environment with low humidity does seem to reduce problems like foxing or mold.

But amazingly, I've also seen certain books stored in less than ideal conditions last for many years with little or no paper degradation...  hm

On 1/27/2022 at 11:48 PM, jokiing said:

Would the MicroChamber paper that CGC slips into the comic book help to reduce or slow the mold/foxing?

Hard to say as the exact mechanism of foxing isn't that well understood.  Broadly speaking a drier, cooler environment seems to be the best prevention.  Microchamber paper could have a sponge effect but that's just an educated guess, really.

Incidentally, for books that are stitched on the face (squarebounds, etc.), microchamber paper is good for preventing rust migration from staples to the cover.  Also, obviously, as a chemical buffer to protect the cover from the body of the book.

As to the OP question, I agree with @The Lions Den that the holder should reduce humidity around the book but storage conditions are probably the bigger concern.  If staples can rust in a slab, I would think foxing could occur as well.

On 1/28/2022 at 5:52 AM, joeypost said:

Back in 2003/4 I started selling books for a comic dealer here in central Florida. He had thousands of long boxes stored in an un-air conditioned warehouse. Some of the boxes had books that were not bagged and boarded. Interestingly foxing would show up on random books, and in rare cases small clusters of books. These boxes always contained the same issue of a particular title which led me to believe it may be what went into the manufacturing process along with environmental issues. 

Is it possible to remove or reduce topical foxing without damaging a book? Wondering if this particular book can be improved without restoration.

81-33490.jpg

On 1/28/2022 at 8:52 AM, joeypost said:

Back in 2003/4 I started selling books for a comic dealer here in central Florida. He had thousands of long boxes stored in an un-air conditioned warehouse. Some of the boxes had books that were not bagged and boarded. Interestingly foxing would show up on random books, and in rare cases small clusters of books. These boxes always contained the same issue of a particular title which led me to believe it may be what went into the manufacturing process along with environmental issues. 

I was thinking the same thing---that the chemical composition of the paper must play a role...  hm

On 1/28/2022 at 9:47 AM, Joshua33 said:

Is it possible to remove or reduce topical foxing without damaging a book? Wondering if this particular book can be improved without restoration.

81-33490.jpg

There are some who claim they can without detection from CGC. But, it includes bleaching agents which will impact the integrity of the paper fibers. It’s a trade off in presentation vs. conservation. I would imagine CGC will get better detecting these cleaned books and give them the appropriate label. 

Personally, it is not something I am interested in doing. 

On 1/28/2022 at 10:54 AM, joeypost said:

There are some who claim they can without detection from CGC. But, it includes bleaching agents which will impact the integrity of the paper fibers. It’s a trade off in presentation vs. conservation. I would imagine CGC will get better detecting these cleaned books and give them the appropriate label. 

Your integrity is admirable...  :foryou:

On 1/28/2022 at 6:59 AM, The Lions Den said:

I was thinking the same thing---that the chemical composition of the paper must play a role...  hm

That makes sense. The current thinking is foxing is mold induced rust of iron contaminents in the paper stock. Joeypost observed above:  "...contained the same issue of a particular title which led me to believe it may be what went into the manufacturing process along with environmental issues. several of the same". This would indeed support the idea of iron contamination in the paper stock being a contributing factor, since the same paper stock could well have been used for such contaminated groups of books.

Edited by PovertyRow