• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage April Auction
6 6

537 posts in this topic

The auction is starting to look good...again.  
Bob Larkin Dazzler #1 Cover is very fascinating, as mentioned in a previous post. Any guesses on this one?

John Byrne Marvel Graphic Novel #18 The Sensational She-Hulk page is a beauty. 
Mike Dringenberg Sandman #8  page definetly has my attention.  It has been eons since pages from this book were offered publicly. 

I would think this will be a recorded high for Bob Larkin art when this auction hammers. Not sure though.

I agree with Matches_Malone this is going to be another fun auction. However my money is on the sidelines. I’ve stopped “competing” for the last year as I feel I’m only chasing the 🐉 😂 

Too much 💰 in competitive auctions limits the options of a buyer like me. This is a sellers market right now. 

I am a spectator.

More awesome pieces just added:

• Byrne X-Men 137 battle page
  • Kirby TOS 59 story
  • Miller DK #3 cover
  • Cockrum XMen 106 cover
  • Romita ASM 50 page
  • Heck TOS #39 page
  • Buscema Thor 182 cover
  • Byrne FF 251 cover
  • Bolland Judge Dredd #4 cover
  • Buscema Avengers 105 cover
  • Frenz ASM 252 cover prelims

On 2/2/2022 at 7:42 AM, gumbydarnit said:

It's kinda like everyone is saying to the 3 Million Dollar Man

"Over here! I have a page you'd love!"

"Forget him look at my page." 

"I have a grail for you, gaze upon this beauty!"

"Pick me! Pick Me! PICK MEEEE!"

For sure, and I don’t mind it one bit!  I still enjoy seeing the artwork coming out of the woodwork, and the live auction drama.

On 2/2/2022 at 8:49 AM, Twanj said:

Anyone want to start throwing out crazy estimates? 100k? xD

Before folks put in their guesstimates, they should be informed that this lot contains more than just the prelim cover.  Per the HA description:

To herald the arrival of the new black design, artist Ron Frenz designed a cover for ASM #252 that was an homage to Spidey's first appearance on the cover of Amazing Fantasy #15 by Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko. Frenz' initial design for that cover is on one of the pages included in this lot. On that same page is a full-figure image that is an homage to the cover of Amazing Spider-Man Annual #2, and a partial rough sketch that seems to have been inspired by the very popular Spider-Man Marvelmania poster from 1967. The second page of initial designs features Spider-Man (in black costume) in several different familiar poses.
And if that isn't enough, this lot also includes three pages of Ron Frenz' complete rough breakdowns for the 22 page story.
Still not convinced? How about if we toss in Frenz' copy of the Roger Stern plot for ASM #252? You can't get much more "First Appearance" that that, now can you! The six-page plot breakdown are 8.5" x 11" photocopies from Roger Stern's original, with handwritten notations on all pages. They are stapled together. And we are surethis plot is from Roger Stern because the last paragraph is marked out, but it references a new villain named "The Blank" and gives a story name. That story name and the character instead showed up in West Coast Avengers#2... written by Roger Stern.
The three page breakdown pages are 14" x 10.5" white paper, with pinholes in them.
The two pages of costume designs and cover preliminary layouts are created in graphite and black marker on 14" x 10.5" white paper. The pages have been folded down the center and have pinholes.
Everything is in Very Good condition

On 2/2/2022 at 8:39 AM, gumbydarnit said:

No doubt... got to luv HA's big scans of these beauties!

Sidebar question....Anyone know why HA takes so long (weeks in some cases) to post scans of items where they've already developed detailed descriptions with measurements, etc.?  Is there a theatrical / teaser value in waiting to add scans aka "big reveal"?  HA needs the high-quality scans in advance to produce the quality catalogs anyway.  ComicLink posts scans + descriptions simultaneously for their auction previews, why can't HA? 

Given the multi-million-dollar profits that Heritage OA auctions, just hire 3-4 people dedicated to scanning OA consignments as they arrive...and comics, video games, etc.  (shrug)

Edited by GreatEscape

On 2/2/2022 at 10:51 AM, GreatEscape said:

Sidebar question....Anyone know why HA takes so long (weeks in some cases) to post scans of items where they've already developed detailed descriptions with measurements, etc.?  Is there a theatrical / teaser value in waiting to add scans aka "big reveal"?  HA needs the high-quality scans in advance to produce the quality catalogs anyway.  ComicLink posts scans + descriptions simultaneously for their auction previews, why can't HA? 

Given the multi-million-dollar profits that Heritage OA auctions, just hire 3-4 people dedicated to scanning OA consignments as they arrive...and comics, video games, etc.  (shrug)

Perhaps the comics are scanned, I'm not sure, but most items on their site are photographed rather than scanned.     That means that they have the photographer taking pictures in batches.    And the way their site software works, they push changes to the live site in batches too.   

At the end of the day, IMO they seem to run a pretty tight ship and they try to have the items up with lots of time to spare.    They certainly beat the competition (clink, no back cover scans, goldin almost no preview at all) in that regard.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:33 AM, Bronty said:

Perhaps the comics are scanned, I'm not sure, but most items on their site are photographed rather than scanned.     That means that they have the photographer taking pictures in batches.    And the way their site software works, they push changes to the live site in batches too.   

At the end of the day, IMO they seem to run a pretty tight ship and they try to have the items up with lots of time to spare.    They certainly beat the competition (clink, no back cover scans, goldin almost no preview at all) in that regard.

Sometimes the image thumbnail doesn't show up but the image is there if you click the listing.

Sometimes titles will have keywords entered but the search bar doesn't grab the item for some reason. It is visible only if you go to the forthcoming auction page.

I kind of get a kick out of the anticipation.

Edited by cstojano

On 2/3/2022 at 11:21 AM, RBerman said:

Anybody else getting error messages on Heritage today?

On 2/3/2022 at 11:32 AM, Twanj said:

Quite a few yesterday.

I was getting them too as I was preparing to bid yesterday, but hitting the refresh button resolved it. Weird.