• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage April Auction
6 6

537 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2022 at 8:52 AM, delekkerste said:

lol 

I'm a big fan of comic strips from the '70s-'90s and prices are pretty reasonable for anything that isn't Peanuts or Calvin & Hobbes. In fact, I just bought another memorable/nostalgic piece of '80s era strip art this morning (not Garfield, though).

I enjoyed reading Garfield back in the day, and my wife tells me she was obsessed by the strip when she was a kid. Some years ago I even bought her a signed copy of the Jim Davis Garfield art book that I bought from the table @Brian Peckwas manning at SDCC!  

I also work for Hermes Press

On 4/12/2022 at 4:22 PM, Bill C said:

Whoa, we're pretty much ready for a thread on the June signature HA.

Todd's Spider-Man #16 cover and page 1 splash.  Batman 428 Mignola cover. Detective Comics 59 cover.

I’m not ready Bill 😂 not just yet.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:59 AM, Bronty said:

I read Peanuts in the 80s and 90s as well, as they came out, and I absolutely abhorred the strip at the time.   It was never funny.

I agree, which is why I said that Schulz was "mailing it in in the last couple of decades of Peanuts", although perhaps it's more like the last 3 decades (basically from the mid-70s).

The reality is that almost every humor strip that has been around more than 10 years runs out of steam.  I remember reading Peanuts, Broom Hilda, Wizard of Id, Andy Capp, Garfield, Family Circus, Blondie, etc. every day out of sheer inertia and never cracking a smile.  But if you go back to the first few years of Blondie in the early 1930s, for example, it's really good! 

It's why I really respect Watterson and Larson for stepping away rather than going downhill.

Edited by tth2

On 4/13/2022 at 3:40 AM, batman_fan said:

:roflmao:

That one still cracks me up :roflmao:

I have yet to see a strip come up containing this classic routine. Or if they have, maybe they've only been in strips from the later decades, which I generally don't even look at. 

On 4/13/2022 at 12:59 AM, Bronty said:

So I know exactly what you mean.    As a kid reading the paper in say 1984, you couldn’t wait to see how Odie was going to get smashed this time, whereas you’d skip right past Patti and Marcie having some dull conversation in class.

Peppermint Pattie, Marcie, Spike and Woodstock aka The Four Riders of the Peanuts Apocalypse 

On 4/13/2022 at 7:22 AM, Bill C said:

Todd's Spider-Man #16 cover and page 1 splash.  Batman 428 Mignola cover. Detective Comics 59 cover.

Start us up, Bill! 

On 4/13/2022 at 9:22 AM, Bill C said:

Wow, more records going to be set.

Seller's market right now

On 4/12/2022 at 10:05 PM, tth2 said:

I have yet to see a strip come up containing this classic routine. Or if they have, maybe they've only been in strips from the later decades, which I generally don't even look at. 

This one sold on HA back in 2014 for almost $100k, from 1961 (great time for Peanuts).

A08D33C6-8BAE-40C7-A6EA-2566BD23467D.jpeg

On 4/12/2022 at 9:59 PM, tth2 said:

I agree, which is why I said that Schulz was "mailing it in in the last couple of decades of Peanuts", although perhaps it's more like the last 3 decades (basically from the mid-70s).

The reality is that almost every humor strip that has been around more than 10 years runs out of steam.  I remember reading Peanuts, Broom Hilda, Wizard of Id, Andy Capp, Garfield, Family Circus, Blondie, etc. every day out of sheer inertia and never cracking a smile.  But if you go back to the first few years of Blondie in the early 1930s, it's really good!

It's why I really respect Watterson and Larson for stepping away rather than going downhill.

I dont think there is a single Watterson stripe I don’t at least like, he did a great job.  I also like Hagar the Horrible, BC, and of course Bloom County.

On 4/13/2022 at 9:12 PM, batman_fan said:

I dont think there is a single Watterson stripe I don’t at least like, he did a great job.  I also like Hagar the Horrible, BC, and of course Bloom County.

Bloom County was huge when I was in college in the mid-80s, but I never got into it.