• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage April Auction
6 6

537 posts in this topic

On 2/7/2022 at 10:42 AM, batman_fan said:

I believe it was this one that he had

F5524B77-ACF0-4920-9725-5AAEE36BCCB4.jpeg

Albert Moy had this for sale at one of the Big Apple Comic Con in the basement of the St. Paul's Church sometime in the late 90's. He had this up alongside a Simon and Kirby Artist and Model (In Love) cover both for 4.5K. A lot of money for me at the time. I was a big Simon and Kirby collector at that time but also a big fan of Kirby's silver age Cap. In the end I choose the S&K piece and even that I had to pay in time installments. I would like to think it is worth more today (I still have it) but I am certain not anywhere near as much as this Cap splash would go for today. What can I say, my biggest collecting regret.

On 2/7/2022 at 6:09 PM, hmendryk said:

Albert Moy had this for sale at one of the Big Apple Comic Con in the basement of the St. Paul's Church sometime in the late 90's. He had this up alongside a Simon and Kirby Artist and Model (In Love) cover both for 4.5K. A lot of money for me at the time. I was a big Simon and Kirby collector at that time but also a big fan of Kirby's silver age Cap. In the end I choose the S&K piece and even that I had to pay in time installments. I would like to think it is worth more today (I still have it) but I am certain not anywhere near as much as this Cap splash would go for today. What can I say, my biggest collecting regret.

You did ok Harry. 
Too much Tuska in this splash for me. 

On 2/7/2022 at 11:53 PM, batman_fan said:
On 2/7/2022 at 11:51 PM, buttock said:

What's the over/under on this one?  Twice up Kirby doesn't seem to get the same nostalgia bump that 70s/80s stuff does, but I can't imagine this one finishing anywhere reasonable.  

I would take the over on a $100k estimate.

If it goes for less than $100k, then it will be residing soon thereafter in Hong Kong.

On 2/3/2022 at 5:03 AM, igotnogame said:

hmlf (9).jpeg

This would be a dream come true. A great page from sandman #8, first appearance of the older sister. 

At first I thought it would sell for 50+, now I think we can be close to 100 (considering the first appearance of Lucifer on comicconnect is priced as 90 BIN).

I wish I had the money.

Spoiler alert: Franklin dies the page after.

Edited by pestonaccio
Addendum

On 2/9/2022 at 2:20 AM, pestonaccio said:

This would be a dream come true. A great page from sandman #8, first appearance of the older sister. 

At first I thought it would sell for 50+, now I think we can be close to 100 (considering the first appearance of Lucifer on comicconnect is priced as 90 BIN).

I wish I had the money.

Spoiler alert: Franklin dies the page after.

I'm sure you know this, but just because a piece is listed at X price, even by a dealer, doesn't mean it's worth X price.  While it could certainly sell for it, or close to it, it could just as easily "sell" at a far lower price or with some element of trade.
Also, that's not how you do spoilers!  :news:

I think that Lucifer one may be a little high, but the Death page will go for much higher.  

Death's been a much bigger thing for longer, and is far more important of a character to a lot of people. How many cosplays or commissions do you see of Lucifer Morningstar vs. Death?  

And this checks all the boxes of what you'd want - first appearance, great page, and even interacting with Dream.  

I'd say maybe 150 for the Death one

On 2/9/2022 at 2:20 AM, pestonaccio said:

A great page from sandman #8, first appearance of the older sister. 

At first I thought it would sell for 50+, now I think we can be close to 100

On 2/9/2022 at 8:27 AM, bisquitodoom said:

It's nice and all, and I would like to own it for a fair price... but this is ridiculous hype for two small panels of Dream and Death. First appearance fever taking over the hobby it seems. I'd categorize this as a C page in relation to others in the same book -- B+ for New Yorkers and fans of Wash Sq.

But I'm sure a bunch of uninformed collectors with Netflix fever will bid this up, thereby taking a huge indelible dump on the whole Sandman category.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:27 AM, bisquitodoom said:

I think that Lucifer one may be a little high, but the Death page will go for much higher.  

Death's been a much bigger thing for longer, and is far more important of a character to a lot of people. How many cosplays or commissions do you see of Lucifer Morningstar vs. Death?  

And this checks all the boxes of what you'd want - first appearance, great page, and even interacting with Dream.  

I don't think the  Kieth Lucifer page is that far off from the current asking price. A bit high, but not crazy high.  I really don't know how to price the Death page. My first thought was 100K, but I wouldn't be surprised if it hits $150K. 

Yeah there are better pages in the book, certainly.  But when was the last time a page from this book came up publicly?  

If one of the others came up, they'd likely go even higher.  

Any page with Dream on it from anywhere in the series gets a pretty huge bump, even if it's not good at all.  And there aren't many issues with Death   I can't see this one going for under 100.    

Yeah, no idea what the page from 8 will go for.  It's nice, but not something I would personally go to the mat for.  Definitely cool to see it though.

The Lucifer page... not sure I that one either, because I keep kicking myself for not going after it when it was originally listed on Albert's site for 8k (or bidding for it when it was originally auctioned).

On 2/9/2022 at 8:54 AM, BCarter27 said:

It's nice and all, and I would like to own it for a fair price... but this is ridiculous hype for two small panels of Dream and Death. First appearance fever taking over the hobby it seems. I'd categorize this as a C page in relation to others in the same book -- B+ for New Yorkers and fans of Wash Sq.

But I'm sure a bunch of uninformed collectors with Netflix fever will bid this up, thereby taking a huge indelible dump on the whole Sandman category.

1st appearance fever in OA feels as though it’s taken forever to get here.  It’s been a significant factor in so many branches of collectibles for so long that I often feel we are very, very late to the party!