• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage April Auction
6 6

537 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2022 at 7:19 PM, Timely said:

Heritage credits John Buscema and Joe Sinnott.

Does not look like Buscema to me at all. Only the Torch’s face is vaguely reminiscent of his style . Definitely ‘70s Marvel style , but not sure it is Buscema 

On 2/12/2022 at 11:23 PM, Carlo M said:

Does not look like Buscema to me at all. Only the Torch’s face is vaguely reminiscent of his style . Definitely ‘70s Marvel style , but not sure it is Buscema 

I thought it was Ron Wilson.

On 2/9/2022 at 1:54 PM, Sideshow Bob said:

Exactly. This isn't the first appearance page of Death. This is almost the last page of the book after an entire issue of "take your brother to work day" for Death and Dream. The first appearance page is page 3. Hell, this isn't the first appearance page of the Washington Sq. Arch or of Franklin, or even the soccer ball. Its beautiful, don't get me wrong, but it's not Death's birth page. 

I've only ever read one issue of Sandman (#50) and so am barely familiar through osmosis of the characters, storylines, artists, etc. from the series.  

Not really knowing or caring about the significance of each of the pages, the #8 page seems OK, but, doesn't really blow me away.  I probably go to Washington Square Park more than anyone here, but, I get a better view of it looking down 5th Avenue from the corner of my block. I mean, there's so much space devoted to the arch (in broad daylight, so there's not even any cool shadows or effects or moodiness) that the page doesn't really "pop" or command much "wall power" to me. 

Now, the #4 page at ComicConnect, on the other hand - I know nothing about the characters or significance or anything, but, WOW, FREAKING WOW, now THAT is a freaking cool looking piece of comic art!!  For a Sandman outsider like myself, that page is like 1000x more visually exciting and interesting to me. (worship) 

Edited by delekkerste

On 2/14/2022 at 9:41 AM, delekkerste said:

I've only ever read one issue of Sandman (#50) and so am barely familiar through osmosis of the characters, storylines, artists, etc. from the series.  

Not really knowing or caring about the significance of each of the pages, the #8 page seems OK, but, doesn't really blow me away.  I probably go to Washington Square Park more than anyone here, but, I get a better view of it looking down 5th Avenue from the corner of my block. I mean, there's so much space devoted to the arch (in broad daylight, so there's not even any cool shadows or effects or moodiness) that the page doesn't really "pop" or command much "wall power" to me. 

Now, the #4 page at ComicConnect, on the other hand - I know nothing about the characters or significance or anything, but, WOW, FREAKING WOW, now THAT is a freaking cool looking piece of comic art!!  For a Sandman outsider like myself, that page is like 1000x more visually exciting and interesting to me. (worship) 

The #4 page at ComicConnect is creepy and satanic and I would hate to look at that every day. The #8 page is iconic and anybody that is a Sandman fan knows the page. It is the introduction to Sandmans sister. The Washington Arch tied to Death is the allure of the page. It speaks to me. I confess I am a huge Sandman fan. Must have read the TPB 1000 times. The 2 pages are not comparable. One is amazing. The other is eh.

On 2/15/2022 at 2:51 AM, tth2 said:

Unfortunately, as we all know, that's largely irrelevant when it comes to the comic OA market.

Right.    Those secret wars pages aren't $3m worth of visual excitement, for example.      

Edited by Bronty

On 2/16/2022 at 12:14 AM, Bronty said:

Right.    Those secret wars pages aren't $3m worth of visual excitement, for example.      

I was thinking more along the lines of a Herb Trimpe page being worth more than any Frazetta comic OA is or ever will be.

On 2/14/2022 at 8:44 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

O.M.G.!!!

Kirby Avengers #1p2 included in this auction

Jack Kirby and Ayers Avengers #1 Story Page 2 Original Art | LotID #181004 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

No image yet, but here's the description:

Jack Kirby and Ayers Avengers #1 Story Page 2 Original Art (Marvel, 1963). A key page in the formation of the Marvel Universe! This is the page where Loki forms his plan to trick Thor into fighting the Hulk. This event directly led to the formation of the Avengers. Thor, in the form of Doctor Don Blake, is making his first appearance outside of the Journey to Mystery title, and the same is true for Loki. And the Hulk had been seen outside of his series just once before. We even get a cameo by Jane Foster who will become Thor in Thor 4: Love and Thunder. The twice-up scale page was created in ink over graphite on Bristol board with an image area of 12.5" x 18.5". Signed by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Ayers in the lower margin. Lightly toned and in Excellent condition.

vince-mc-mahon-falling-in-chair.gif.62908ec9e1682842167f13b33e3d9fdf.gif

On 2/12/2022 at 1:22 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Yeah a lot of Venom, Since he's heating up again there should be some strong results. That Bagley page trips me up for some reason. I keep getting the legs confused when looking at it. 

Another one to keep an eye will be the cover to Spider-man and his Amazing Friends #1. It has a lot going for it. Besides being a nice nostalgia piece and issue one cover it's Romita Sr. drawing both Spidey the Green Goblin. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a grail for some people who watched the show and grabbed the comic as a result.

347741889_spideyandfriends.PNG.e716b5c6c3ca3263787be0d87150f469.PNG

I heard the announcer's voice and theme music as soon as I saw this picture.  

On 2/13/2022 at 10:56 AM, glendgold said:
On 2/13/2022 at 2:23 AM, Carlo M said:

I thought it was Ron Wilson.

I guess it's a pro and a con of the Marvel house style.  Without more context and artist credits, John Buscema could be taken to be Ron Wilson ?