• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will CGC Grade Peeling Cards?

12 posts in this topic

So I'm sure ahead of time there's going to be someone running to the comments telling me it's fake, but trust me, these EX era cards, ESPECIALLY the EX cards in general love to peel after a while.

I've seen PSA grade this specific card with minor peeling, but my question is if CGC does as well, and also....when it's this bad.

Like this would undoubtedly be whatever the lowest grade could be, but is it too much of a liability for CGC and other grading companies?

InShot_20220131_035832167.jpg

InShot_20220131_035937549.jpg

On 1/31/2022 at 4:02 PM, LuckyMouse said:

If this is an authentic card, with a grading scale of 1-10, I can't imagine why CGC would not grade this. A grade of 1 or 2 would be a heavily damaged card, which this certainly is. It looks to me like it had been stored somewhere damp previously. JMO tho'.

Reminded me of the "Washing Machine Charizard".

Oh I do recall seeing that zard video! But I honestly just not sure especially with that most pokemon cards that peel (that aren't these ex cards) are sort of automatically viewed as fakes, and are.

And I'm assuming that most people don't bother sending in a lot of cards in this condition from is era, so the people authenticating it might not have experience with this type of card deterioration, if that makes sense? 

So I might end up emailing them about it just to make sure, bc I myself am 100% sure it's authentic as I've had other ex cards as a kid that peeled like this. That and the lack of a census makes it hard to see if similar cards have gone through with ease in the past, but thankfully that's coming soon so fingers crossed.

What an interesting question... two of my most prized possessions are cards I personally pulled back in the day. A BPT-002 Summoned Skull and an Fossil 1st Ed Articuno. The Summoned Skull went through the wash... and the Articuno spent 7 years in my parents unheated garage in MN in a screw in flat card holder. The Articuno has major humidity damage and the front has shrunk just enough do to the holofoil middle layer showing just a smidge of the "ink layer" in between authentic pokemon cards... the Summoned skull..... well, we all know what a washed card looks like yeah?

20220131_215113.jpg

20220131_215126.jpg

20220131_215147.jpg

20220131_215213.jpg

20220131_220444.jpg

20220131_220508.jpg

20220131_220447.jpg

20220131_220457.jpg

On 1/31/2022 at 4:02 AM, Lapsaes said:

So I'm sure ahead of time there's going to be someone running to the comments telling me it's fake, but trust me, these EX era cards, ESPECIALLY the EX cards in general love to peel after a while.

I've seen PSA grade this specific card with minor peeling, but my question is if CGC does as well, and also....when it's this bad.

Like this would undoubtedly be whatever the lowest grade could be, but is it too much of a liability for CGC and other grading companies?

InShot_20220131_035832167.jpg

InShot_20220131_035937549.jpg

The verdict is in!

CGC can NOT encapsulate him! BUT they will grade him nonetheless!

A bummer, but it's nothing I ruled out in getting a response. I'm not exactly sure how grading would work if it's not encapsulated, but it's something I'll consider and ask about!

So hopefully for all my friends with peeling EX cards, can use this post as reference before uncertainly sending stuff in!

InShot_20220201_131130733.jpg

On 2/2/2022 at 12:11 AM, Yingly said:

dang... thanks for the update!

They actually responded to my next email about me being able to "still submit it", but they basically said that I can send it in and /hope/ it gets graded? What??

Why would I waste my time and money for JUST the possibility that a grader might be in a good enough mood to grade my card, despite what was stated right beforehand?

Just giving a straight yes no would be fine so I don't have to strain my brain going "what if?" on sending it in or not. Maybe I can throw it in a washing machine and go viral to get their special destroyed card treatment like with the washer zard 😑😑😑

Edited by Lapsaes

On 2/2/2022 at 2:05 AM, Lapsaes said:

They actually responded to my next email about me being able to "still submit it", but they basically said that I can send it in and /hope/ it gets graded? What??

Why would I waste my time and money for JUST the possibility that a grader might be in a good enough mood to grade my card, despite what was stated right beforehand?

Just giving a straight yes no would be fine so I don't have to strain my brain going "what if?" on sending it in or not. Maybe I can throw it in a washing machine and go viral to get their special destroyed card treatment like with the washer zard 😑😑😑

They would authenticate the card but won't encapsulate it. They'll create a label and everything but since it won't be encapsulated, you can say that label goes to another zard card of the same type.... So it would be pointless and a waste of money imo to submit that card. 

Edited by HomeGrownPoke1

On 2/2/2022 at 10:07 AM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

They would authenticate the card but won't encapsulate it. They'll create a label and everything but since it won't be encapsulated, you can say that label goes to another zard card of the same type.... So it would be pointless and a waste of money imo to submit that card. 

Exactly what I thought at first, but no they literally just shrugged and said go for if you still feel like it 🙄

I honestly just want this thing at the bare minimum, given a simple authentication (CGC doesn't even offer a label like that in these situations) and put in a plastic coffin JUST to keep anything more from happening to it. And I like how my other cards look in their slabs, but I guess I'll have to find a grading company willing to step up to the task if CGC won't :////

On 2/2/2022 at 11:37 AM, Lapsaes said:

Exactly what I thought at first, but no they literally just shrugged and said go for if you still feel like it 🙄

I honestly just want this thing at the bare minimum, given a simple authentication (CGC doesn't even offer a label like that in these situations) and put in a plastic coffin JUST to keep anything more from happening to it. And I like how my other cards look in their slabs, but I guess I'll have to find a grading company willing to step up to the task if CGC won't :////

There’s probably a line where the peeling becomes too much for them to grade, but they have literally no reason to make a ruling from a scan/picture. 

and some folks might just want to know for themselves, they’re happy to take your money.  

it seems pretty obvious to not submit if you want it slabbed.

On 2/2/2022 at 1:05 AM, Lapsaes said:

Yeah that's pretty crazy... I just want mine slabbed and protected because of sentimental reasons.... that's kind of nuts... paying to get something graded and it doesn't get slabbed? that's kind of a waste of time and money if you ask me.