• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Russian comic book values

13 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2022 at 1:29 PM, Ye hairline said:

I found an auction for a really rare book(Amazing fantasy 15) and the book just so happens to be in Russian. comicspriceguide.com gives me absolutely nothing to work with what value would a Russian copy have

Pictures?

On eBay, I see many copies of a Russian reprint of Amazing Fantasy 15, in Russian.  In most cases, they are being offered for $30 or less.  If that is the comic you are asking about, then its value is clearly somewhat under $30. A check of sold listings on eBay would give you a better idea what people are actually paying for it.

On 1/31/2022 at 10:53 AM, SOTIcollector said:

On eBay, I see many copies of a Russian reprint of Amazing Fantasy 15, in Russian.  In most cases, they are being offered for $30 or less.  If that is the comic you are asking about, then its value is clearly somewhat under $30. A check of sold listings on eBay would give you a better idea what people are actually paying for it.

this definitely makes sense.

Additionally, you should be certain of what you are buying, and when it was printed.  I don't know a ton about Russian Marvel comics, but for foreign comics sometimes there are sometimes foreign versions of comics that are printed relatively (or exactly) concurrently with the American versions.  GENERALLY (but not always), these would be worth the most.   And sometimes there are foreign reprints that are printed a little bit later that still might be worth something if they are relatively rare or in a very high grade.  AND there are also reprints that happen much later (like 80's or later), which tend be fairly common.  Also, the grade obviously plays a factor in pricing.

For the Russian one, with even the most minimal search on ebay, it looks like the Russian AF 15 is from 2019 or 2020.  Perhaps you have an older, rarer one that doesn't match the issues on ebay, in which case sharing pictures here would probably help others help you answer the question.

Although Russia had one of the first superheroes (Amphibious Man in 1928), comics as we know them were not a thing there until the 90s, after the dissolution of the USSR (although public awareness of Batman and Superman seems to have been reasonably high, probably due to "contraband" books and videos.  Russia began reprinting the main Marvel heroes (Spidey, FF, X-Men) in the 2000s.  The first efforts weren't profitable, if I understand correctly, but now Russia is a reliable market for comics-related vids and books and has a fair number of home-grown supers as well.   

If anyone tries to tell you there's a vintage 1960s Marvel key, respond with extreme caution.  

You can check against finished eBay sales and gauge how you yourself value the books, and then decide what the appropriate bids are (if any).

every one has different preferences and financial situations and comic goals.

good luck

On 1/31/2022 at 6:40 PM, Ye hairline said:

On 2/1/2022 at 5:13 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Was AF15 printed concurrently outside of the USA?

I’m not an expert about what’s considered what, but there’s a UK version dated one month later than the US version.