• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General collection building + Bartkira??

10 posts in this topic

A few random questions , would really appreciate some feedback

found my old collection which much of it is gold and some silver age and want to start collecting again!...should I get the ones in decent condition graded ? Secondly I have a 9.8 Bartkira floating world comic (No idea at first what it was) because I love the artwork/story but cat see any others online ? any reason for that ?

Lastly with a decent budget of around 2.5k from an investment point is it worth looking at high graded first appearances etc? Or are there better areas to look at like ungraded in good condition etc.

Any responses will be much appreciated 

A few thoughts... 

For your older books, I wouldn't consider getting them graded unless you want to sell them. In the past, I've had books in my personal collection graded because I enjoy the consistency and look of having books slabbed. 

But with today's turn around times, I won't be submitting any books any time soon. I have about 15 books I sent away in February 2021 that are still in Florida. I don't want to wait that long again. 

As for the $2500, it is personal preference and you should focus on buying books you'll enjoy. My personal preference wouldn't be too buy high grade first appearances because for $2500 you won't find first appearances for many of the characters I care about. 

Personally I would be looking at mid grade SA or BA keys or GA books you like. HOS92, Silver Surfer 1, 3 or 4, early ASM...

On 2/1/2022 at 6:57 PM, FlyJ said:

should I get the ones in decent condition graded ?

Secondly I have a 9.8 Bartkira floating world comic (No idea at first what it was) because I love the artwork/story but cat see any others online ? any reason for that ?

Lastly with a decent budget of around 2.5k from an investment point is it worth looking at high graded first appearances etc? Or are there better areas to look at like ungraded in good condition etc.

1. If you're looking to sell them, and the financial investment is worth it, then sure.
  2. I don't see anything regarding "Bartkira Floating World" out there other than a #1. There appear to be other Bartkira comics, though.
  3. Buy what you love. That way, if they end up being worthless, you still have the value of enjoyment.

I'd look up the creators of Bartkira. See what else they've done. Did they go on to bigger, better things? Might be an interesting road to explore. 

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated @KCOComicscan you please explain what this means please" Personally I would be looking at mid grade SA or BA keys or GA books you like. HOS92, Silver Surfer 1, 3 or 4, early ASM..." Also i didn't realize grading took that long

what is SA,BA, GA and HOS92? Sorry for the stupid questions

@theCapraAegagrusThanks bro I think there is only a few of these out there , I checked the census and there are only 3 in a 9.8 is that a good sign , tbh I like the art work so this book isn't really an investment...should I grade the ones in very good condition only (they are mostly golden and silver age)

@Mecha_Fantastic ...thanks also , will have a look and see what they are working on , I have done some research ad was told this is very limited and they have confirmed they will not print anymore Bartkira issues as it was a concept initially that grew and sales rev went to charity.

I am looking to get a high grade silver surfer 1 (Investment), Spiderman #95 London (Mainly because i like the London artwork and thought may have some potential future value or I was also looking at a signed 8.5 spiderman #59 signed by Stan Lee (again i like the artwork and think it could have future value)

Once again any feedback is hugely appreciated and thanks allot to anyone that posts on this thread , it really helps me learn and develop. 

On 2/2/2022 at 11:33 AM, FlyJ said:

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated @KCOComicscan you please explain what this means please" Personally I would be looking at mid grade SA or BA keys or GA books you like. HOS92, Silver Surfer 1, 3 or 4, early ASM..." Also i didn't realize grading took that long

@theCapraAegagrusThanks 

I apologize - 

GA - Golden Age 

SA - Silver Age 

BA - Bronze Age

I was just trying to say,  personally, I would focus on buying older key books. Now, that's just me. Everyone has different preferences and you should buy something you enjoy. 

HOS92 - House of Secrets 92. 

It's the first Swampthing and a book I'm a big fan of. You can still get copies in the VF range for $2500 which is why I suggested it. 

@KCOComicswhat really qualifies something as a key comic "in general terms"????

@kcocomics Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated @KCOComicscan you please explain what this means please" Personally I would be looking at mid grade SA or BA keys or GA books you like. HOS92, Silver Surfer 1, 3 or 4, early ASM..." Also i didn't realize grading took that long

@theCapraAegagrusThanks bro I think there is only a few of these out there , I checked the census and there are only 3 in a 9.8 is that a good sign , tbh I like the art work so this book isn't really an investment...should I grade the ones in very good condition only (they are mostly golden and silver age)

@Mecha_Fantastic ...thanks also , will have a look and see what they are working on , I have done some research ad was told this is very limited and they have confirmed they will not print anymore Bartkira issues as it was a concept initially that grew and sales rev went to charity.

I am looking to get a high grade silver surfer 1 (Investment), Spiderman #95 London (Mainly because i like the London artwork and thought may have some potential future value or I was also looking at a signed 8.5 spiderman #59 signed by Stan Lee (again i like the artwork and think it could have future value)

Once again any feedback is hugely appreciated and thanks allot to anyone that posts on this thread , it really helps me learn and develop. 

On 2/3/2022 at 4:50 AM, Aaarrgghh! said:

It's a weird vanity project:

"Recreate every page of Akira using characters from The Simpsons.

It would take 768 artists, each contributing five pages, to redraw the full six volumes of Katsuhiro Otomo’s masterwork. A monumental group comic project unlike any other inspired working illustrators, comics professionals, and even some who had never drawn a comic in their lives."

Oh. That's certainly something different. 

I’d say treat your grading decisions like a business, research all the costs and your projected revenues.  Balance those with risk, collection or selling preferences, space, presentation, profit preferences, flexibility, opportunity cost of tying up your money during grading, taxes.

maybe test your own grading skills a bit before submittIng, post a few books in the “grade my comic” subforum to see if people agree w your grading 

and very generally, for spending money to invest, buy what you like and are knowledgeable about.  You can make money investing in most comics if you get the right price.

On 2/2/2022 at 3:39 PM, FlyJ said:

@KCOComicswhat really qualifies something as a key comic "in general terms"????

@kcocomics Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated @KCOComicscan you please explain what this means please" Personally I would be looking at mid grade SA or BA keys or GA books you like. HOS92, Silver Surfer 1, 3 or 4, early ASM..." Also i didn't realize grading took that long

I think a key is defined differently by different people. 

General Definition- a significant event occurred in the comic. A first appearance or a significant moment.  Superman 1 is an example of a significant key book, that isn't a first appearance. 

Now,  I don't consider every first appearance a key and there is certainly a scale. Like the first appearance of Spiderman is on a bigger scale than the first appearance of Swampthing. I would argue both are keys,  but Spidey is a obviously a more important character.