• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collection logging on this site?

4 posts in this topic

is there a way I can create a log on this site which has all the book i own in grades etc , i saw some other collections with pics ad inventory and would like to  this to my profile if possible to keep a log of what I have in one place etc...Thanks!

On 2/2/2022 at 4:37 PM, FlyJ said:

is there a way I can create a log on this site which has all the book i own in grades etc , i saw some other collections with pics ad inventory and would like to  this to my profile if possible to keep a log of what I have in one place etc...Thanks!

Hello FlyJ :)

There are two areas on the forum which you could use to do this. If you look at the top of the page, you'll see 'Journals' and 'Galleries' as drop down menu links:

Capture_LI.thumb.jpg.93540ae4dbb9985b010972774f2fdca0.jpg

Some members have made use of the Journals area to catalogue their books - here's an example:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/blogs/entry/5263-cataloging-the-pence-copies-i-currently-own/

The issue there is that each post is sequential so you won't be able to put anything in order - it will always present itself in the order you post. One way around that would be to add new books to existing posts, if that makes sense. You can amend posts here some years after the event.

The other area members make use of is the Galleries, and they look like this:

Capture2.thumb.PNG.d0312a75a71a406319ecca26124039f3.PNG

As you can see, our member @AJD has made good use of them to showcase many of the books in his collection.

Again, one of the issues you will face if you decide to use this area - and I'm sure AJD Andy will correct me if things have changed, is that you can't easily organise your books into an order that suits you. If I remember correctly, they will always be presented in the order that you upload them. So if you add issues 1, 2, 3 and 6, and then later add issues 4 and 5, you won't be able to sort them into issue order (did I get that right Andy?).

One final thought for this site (CGC) - if all the books that you own are CGC graded, you could sign up to use the Registry, here:

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/index.aspx

I hope that helps a bit - have a look at each area and see what you think will suit you best. As a new member, you might be best to spend some time getting used to the forum and its functionality. There aren't any 'how to' guides for the Journals and Galleries, so you will have to play around to get the idea of how they work. Many have observed how unintuitive they can be, so you'll need to have patience!

If you decide none of the CGC forums functions suit, you could try elsewhere - some discussion here may help you:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/474087-best-comic-book-database-for-keeping-track-of-your-collection/#comment-11342961

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/456757-best-way-to-track-comic-collection/#comment-10837665

Good luck, and welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for the kind words about my galleries Steve.

You don't have it quite right about the ordering. The default is to order by upload date but there's an option to order by name. That's what I've done, as you'll see if you look closely. The only catch is that the ordering is alphabetic, so 17 will come before 8 (for example). To get around that you need leading zeroes. For a run like WDC&S, which runs to many hundreds, number 1 will be 001, number 10 will be 010 etc.

On 2/2/2022 at 10:14 PM, AJD said:

Thanks for the kind words about my galleries Steve.

You don't have it quite right about the ordering. The default is to order by upload date but there's an option to order by name. That's what I've done, as you'll see if you look closely. The only catch is that the ordering is alphabetic, so 17 will come before 8 (for example). To get around that you need leading zeroes. For a run like WDC&S, which runs to many hundreds, number 1 will be 001, number 10 will be 010 etc.

Do you know, I think I remember that now - didn't we have a discussion with Arch about it? Long time ago now.

@FlyJ, if you're still with us, leading 0's is the way to go!