• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graded vs Signed and Graded Stan Lee/Matt Groening- whats the better choice and why is there no signed Groening CGC around???

9 posts in this topic

I personally like the Simpsons and Spiderman so I was thinking of purchasing a nice golden/silver age high graded spiderman and then saw a few signed high graded copies. From an investment point of view is it worth buying CGC Gold Label Stan Lee signed comic or is it better to get a higher grade without a signature?

Either way I like the comics I am also just thinking what makes more sense should I one day wish to get rid of them (much later!) 

Lastly is getting Matt Groeing signed Simpsons a good idea and why are there not that many on the market 

Any feedback would be much appreciated!!!!

The answer is …. It depends

depends on the book, the grade, the price you buy at, your preferred return on investment, the way the signature looks and placement, the time you’re looking to hold, opportunity cost of sinking your cash for decades.  Also depends on what you think the market will do in the future based on your personal knowledge of the market.

BUT there is a service called GPA where you can do your own research based on past sales.  They track sales of slabbed comics.

for example: 

you could buy a high grade AF 15 for $500k, then maybe in 10 years it’s worth $700k, $200k profit or 40%.

or you could buy the a signed high (but not as high) grade comic AF 15 for $300k and it’s worth $450k in 10 years, $150k profit but a 50% profit.

which is better or preferred? Totally depends on the person and their money situation.  

id say present a more specific situation for people to help or do more of your own research on GPA. 

but generally people will tell you to do research on what you like and buy within that narrow window, there’s opportunities for profit at all levels, but the marginal gains of this vs that are very specific and tough to predict and will vary a ton from person to person.

For Matt Groening, research what it cost or has cost in the past to get a signature including all fees, see what they’re selling for on eBay or GPA, and see if the trends and sales make sense for you.  

But generally, look at GPa And eBay “sold” listings and do some of your own analysis related to the books you might have interest in.  If that seems like too much work or you can’t do the analysis, there’s not shame in that but long term comic investing may not be for you.  

good luck

Edited by revat

If your going to get a SS Stan Lee book,  my advice would be to make sure if was a book he actually worked on. 

Some collectors don't like signature series at all. They feel the signature obscures the art. Others only collect SS books. So it really is personal preference. 

Stan signed a million books so his signature alone isn't uncommon.  I don't generally collect signature books but Stan was important enough to me that I sought out and bought two signature series books by him. 

And I won't get into the debate about investing,  but I do echo to buy the books that will be important to you. Who knows what the future holds..  if something becomes worthless to others,  at least you'll enjoy it and that's what matters. 

On 2/2/2022 at 12:44 PM, FlyJ said:

I was thinking of purchasing a nice golden/silver age high graded spiderman

Just so you're aware, Spider-Man's first appearance was Silver Age.... not Golden Age.

On 2/2/2022 at 12:44 PM, FlyJ said:

I personally like the Simpsons and Spiderman so I was thinking of purchasing a nice golden/silver age high graded spiderman and then saw a few signed high graded copies. From an investment point of view is it worth buying CGC Gold Label Stan Lee signed comic or is it better to get a higher grade without a signature?

Either way I like the comics I am also just thinking what makes more sense should I one day wish to get rid of them (much later!) 

Lastly is getting Matt Groeing signed Simpsons a good idea and why are there not that many on the market 

Any feedback would be much appreciated!!!!

I’m not sure if anyone is joking or not, but this post makes it seem like you think there might be golden age spiderman comics.

the first appearance of spiderman is in the silver age, which is after the golden age. So there won’t be any golden age spiderman comics.

On 2/5/2022 at 1:39 PM, FlyJ said:

@jokiing I dont recall saying his first appearance was Silver age ....but thanks for your help g