• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion: What do you think are the top five of the Golden Age Pedigree collections?
3 3

69 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2022 at 3:47 PM, PDGray said:

My Crowley Copy was delivered today.  Apparently one of 3 graded copies - another 9.2 and a 6.5 - so low census count.  It's not a superhero book, but I am happy to have it.

PDG

20220222_135140.thumb.jpg.01e81d3902de3bf2ba012b30296f1f12.jpg

Was that the one off of Ebay? If it was I too had been eyeballing that book.

Congrats though on the purchase.

On 2/23/2022 at 1:17 PM, goldsilverap said:

Was that the one off of Ebay? If it was I too had been eyeballing that book.

Congrats though on the purchase.

Yeah, I decided to "watch" it and then the seller made me an offer.  I thought about it, and the prospect of owning a Crowley book REALLY appealed to me.  It wasn't terribly expensive, so I got it.  There are a few Crowleys listed now, but I passed on those mostly because this one was cheaper.

PDG

On 2/23/2022 at 3:31 AM, lou_fine said:

Hey Gary;

Love to hear these background stories on the pedigrees like your Windy City pedigree here.  :applause:

Big congrats to you on being able to acquire such an absolutely amazing find.  Was the Windy City collection made up entirely of only #1 first issues as I find it rather surprising that there were as many as 2,500 individual GA comic book titles out there.  If so, I guess it must have covered virtually enery single title out there at the time.  (thumbsu

Was you able to compile a list of the individual books that were in the collection and their possible grades at the time from your own professional point of view, or did most of them sold so quickly you never got a chance to do it?  hm  :wishluck:

There actually were a few hundred non-first issues.  Mostly early pre-hero DCs like Detective 2-5, New Comics.  Famous Funnies 2-4, etc.  All the Classics Comics/Illustrated.  First issue Four Colors.  I have the definitive list that was put together by the seller.  Matt has it for the Pedigree Book.

On 2/22/2022 at 10:43 PM, Drgoldage said:

Mile High/San Francisco/Larson/Allentown all great collections  and yes Windy City a great collection lots of the great first issues. Gary did sell off a lot of issues quickly I was one of the fortunate to buy nearly 40 I have never slabbed a single one but I still have them and I suspect most collectors know which of their  books are from the “Windy City “ collection . I hope with time most will be encapsulated so they will not be “ lost” anymore . A side story , Gary was leaving a major show and needed a hand carrying out a couple of boxes of Windy City comics , I tried to keep up with Gary but we got separated when he crossed the street and I wasn’t able  to. I lost sight of Gary for a minute and was sweating bullets that something might happen to the box I was carrying , but traffic cleared without mishap and I caught up with Gary who had patiently waited for me . It was a thrill of a lifetime to carry that full box with so many golden age treasures  the short distance I did and I want to thank Gary however belated for trusting me to do so . In any case put the “Windy City “ in the top five for me 

Haha!  Great story, Jeff.  So happy you still have all the WCs!

On 2/3/2022 at 4:01 PM, PDGray said:

I think most of us would probably agree that the Church Collection is probably the number one pedigree, since all others seem to be measured against it.  But what do you think?

Promise Collection GA, Gaines Files compared against Mile High/Church collection in Sept, 2022 by Mr. Bedrock City Richard Evans:

Well, he did managed to be very diplomatic when it came to the Promise Collection and was able to walk a very fine line there.  (thumbsu

A lot more so than another boardie who just may have summed it up correctly though when we go back to look at it in a few years from now:  hm

On 9/9/2022 at 4:54 AM, Funnybooks said:

Over Promised...under delivered

This actually has a nice ring to it as it also reminded me of how much most boardies hated the name "The Promise Collection" when it was first announced.  lol

On 9/11/2022 at 1:17 PM, lou_fine said:

This actually has a nice ring to it as it also reminded me of how much most boardies hated the name "The Promise Collection" when it was first announced.  lol

How about “The Premise Collection”?