• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storing Slabbed Comics

26 posts in this topic

I like the heavy plastic BCM bins great for stacking these will take the weight. These are 'The Cadillac" of Graded boxes IMHO:

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/graded-comic-book-bin

Please note the due to pandemic interrupted supply chains Vendors on Amazon and Ebay are heavily gouging.  BCW is out of stock. These bins in most cases are double or triple what they were last year which in itself was much higher than 2020. The expectation is these will have a lower cost late in 2022 although even BCW for the ones they will have in April are asking 2x the 2020 price...:( 

Last time I purchased the BCW it was Nov 2020 and I paid $129.99 for 5 w/free shipping.

The first one you assemble may be a bit of nightmare, for me everything after the first was easy-ish.

There are also the eGerber graded cardboard boxes:

https://www.egerber.com/catalog_comicBox.htm

Personally I'd think risky to store these more than 2 high but I do lean towards overly cautious

Again expect pandemic related gouging.

Lastly in the cardboard arena

https://www.amazon.com/CGC-Graded-Comic-Storage-Boxes/dp/B01M213QU4/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2ZC52W5DLZ1Y3&keywords=Graded+Comic+Book+Bin&qid=1643991354&s=office-products&sprefix=graded+comic+book+bin+%2Coffice-products%2C71&sr=1-7

I picked up some of those. They comparable to the Gerber and are made in USA. No logos a nice clean box.

Edited by MAR1979

Hot Flips is a member here and they sell a CGC box which I have used for years. I also store some in drawerboxes( magazine size). The drawerboxes have the advantage of being able to stack them and still get to the boxes not on top. With Hotflips boxes, you need to move the top boxes to get to the bottom ones.  I like the drawerboxes better, but they are substanially more money. About twice as much, after shipping.

A set of four drawerboxes is about $100. The good news is they are in stock and ship quickly. I don't know if hotflips has theirs in stock. currently.

BCW and some others have imitation drawers but they suck.  Don't waste your money on them. They are lighter, flimsier and generally inferior.

Edited by shadroch

On 2/4/2022 at 11:03 AM, shadroch said:

Hot Flips is a member here and they sell a CGC box which I have used for years. I also store some in drawerboxes( magazine size). The drawerboxes have the advantage of being able to stack them and still get to the boxes not on top. With Hotflips boxes, you need to move the top boxes to get to the bottom ones.  I like the drawerboxes better, but they are substanially more money. About twice as much, after shipping.

Its the E Gerber box that is Branded for them using their large logo - think White Label type deal.  I personally like my stuff as free from advertising logo's as possible however most other people don't seem to care :)

Although I can drive to Hotflips' Warehouse so the convenience is really nice.

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/4/2022 at 9:03 AM, MAR1979 said:

I like the heavy plastic BCM bins great for stacking these will take the weight. These are 'The Cadillac" of Graded boxes IMHO:

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/graded-comic-book-bin

Please note the due to pandemic interrupted supply chains Vendors on Amazon and Ebay are heavily gouging.  BCW is out of stock. These bins in most cases are double or triple what they were last year which in itself was much higher than 2020. The expectation is these will have a lower cost late in 2022 although even BCW for the ones they will have in April are asking 2x the 2020 price...:( 

Last time I purchased the BCW it was Nov 2020 and I paid $129.99 for 5 w/free shipping.

The first one you assemble may be a bit of nightmare, for me everything after the first was easy-ish.

There are also the eGerber graded cardboard boxes:

https://www.egerber.com/catalog_comicBox.htm

Personally I'd think risky to store these more than 2 high but I do lean towards overly cautious

Again expect pandemic related gouging.

Lastly in the cardboard arena

https://www.amazon.com/CGC-Graded-Comic-Storage-Boxes/dp/B01M213QU4/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2ZC52W5DLZ1Y3&keywords=Graded+Comic+Book+Bin&qid=1643991354&s=office-products&sprefix=graded+comic+book+bin+%2Coffice-products%2C71&sr=1-7

I picked up some of those. They comparable to the Gerber and are made in USA. No logos a nice clean box.

You can stack those but you have to move the ones on top to get to the books on the bottom. I'm sure they provide a good workout but the drawer boxes allow you to remove books from the bottom level without moving the boxes on top of them.  The beauty of drawerboxes is you can stack them five or six high and have access to all your books, not just just the top box. The magazine drawerboxes I stack three high because while they can easily stack six high, anything more than three and the books are above chest level so hard to see .

On 2/4/2022 at 11:33 AM, shadroch said:

You can stack those but you have to move the ones on top to get to the books on the bottom. I'm sure they provide a good workout but the drawer boxes allow you to remove books from the bottom level without moving the boxes on top of them.  The beauty of drawerboxes is you can stack them five or six high and have access to all your books, not just just the top box. The magazine drawerboxes I stack three high because while they can easily stack six high, anything more than three and the books are above chest level so hard to see .

Thanks I missed "drawer" part

I used Collection Drawer boxes for raw comics for few years and so did my Buddy at my LCS (I recommended them to him after I first got mine). The problem we both had is after about 18-24 months they bowed out. Which then made them difficult to open and made them look like .  Given the cost it was very disappointing.  On mine they were only stacked 2 high as well and they advertise you can safely do 6.

When my buddy closed his shop (my LCS) to semi-retire he found a 4 collection drawers that were unused. He gave them to me. I figured I'd give them a 2nd chance. The pic represents the first that started to bow outwards and it was after just 6 months.  Note that its only stacked 2 high and it is the top box.

image.thumb.png.b40da00fa59dd0f9741f9095a21454d4.png

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/4/2022 at 9:38 AM, MAR1979 said:

Thanks I missed "drawer" part

I used Collection Drawer boxes for raw comics for few years and so did my Buddy at my LCS (I recommended them to him after I first got mine). The problem we both had is after about 18-24 months they bowed out. Which then made them difficult to open and made them look like .  Given the cost it was very disappointing.  On mine they were only stacked 2 high as well and they advertise you can safely do 6.

Did you use the connectors to attach them to each other? I have mine for fifteen years, and they have made several moves, including two long distance and are holding up fine.  I'll snap a few pictures.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:13 PM, shadroch said:

Did you use the connectors to attach them to each other? I have mine for fifteen years, and they have made several moves, including two long distance and are holding up fine.  I'll snap a few pictures.

Yes pics are very welcome. thanks

On 2/4/2022 at 12:01 PM, Extrovert said:

Another question - is anyone putting their slabbed books in sleeves? It seems a bit absurd, but I'd hate to scuff up my slabs. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

I use E Gerber 914M2 - expect  pandemic super-gouging on these.  Perhaps it's bit OCD, but I feel slabs do look great in them

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/4/2022 at 11:01 AM, Extrovert said:

Another question - is anyone putting their slabbed books in sleeves? It seems a bit absurd, but I'd hate to scuff up my slabs. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

I keep my slabs in the plastic bags they (usually) come with. I bought an additional 25 of these bags from BCW just in case. I think I have used at least ten so far.