• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why dont I see comic collectors on youtube ever discuss Manga comics and its always Marvel?
2 2

34 posts in this topic

Is this purely because most comic collectors are from the U.S? or is it because they simply are not as valuable or volatile with prices. I think I prefer Manga art in many cases and some might not be as nostalgic for me but titles like Akira are equally as important to me as lets say spiderman .

I just dont get why I never see people discussing Manga comics....is there a reason? 

Cartoonist Kayfabe touches on a decent amount of manga. Heck, I'd argue their claim to fame was the series of videos they did on Akira, and Otomo's works that preceded it.

But if you're talking specifically from some kind of collecting/value rather than a criticism/review standpoint, there's just nothing to talk about, or the audience is so small it's not really worth it. I probably own more manga than (collected) Western comics, but I don't really care about rare or valuable titles. I buy what I've heard is good, and if something's OOP and pricey, I cross that bridge when I come to it.

On 2/5/2022 at 1:08 PM, FlyJ said:

Is this purely because most comic collectors are from the U.S? or is it because they simply are not as valuable or volatile with prices. I think I prefer Manga art in many cases and some might not be as nostalgic for me but titles like Akira are equally as important to me as lets say spiderman .

I just dont get why I never see people discussing Manga comics....is there a reason? 

also, you can't CGC a lot of manga stuff, so there's that too. The first appearance of All Might could be a worthy comic to get, but CGC doesn't deal with that collectable. So it isn't as much in the public eye even though My Hero Academia is popular. Also, I feel a lot of manga is digested more in its animé form so there may be less interest in the book version. Just pitching other possible factors, I don't have all the asnwers.

I would think they’re just really different mediums that developed in different ways in different places in different cultures.

of course, there was always some overlap and in the past 20-25 years there is a lot more overlap with the internet and travel and streaming and large scale movies.

but you’re essentially saying, “ why don’t they discuss fish sticks in my sushi YouTube videos??”  Or vice versa.  It’s technically all fish, and in some cases even the same fish are used,  lots of people enjoy both, they all can involve dipping in sauce, they can all be eaten with chopsticks or forks.  

which doesn’t mean they can’t or shouldn’t be discussed together or there aren’t folks who are experts in both, just that there doesn’t seem like a ton of obvious reasons to discuss together.  

or maybe the market is missing something and someone should fill in the hole.

why don’t people talk about Frosted Flakes in my oatmeal podcasts, it’s all cereal right?

I assume the manga YouTube collecting videos discuss them.

Edited by revat

@1950's war comicsI assume you haven't heard of females before either , to the rest thanks for your opinions and feedback its much appreciated. To the people who seem offended at my lack of knowledge just remember I have enough £$ to buy your collection and donate it to charity. Be cool and if you dont have something helpful to say dont say anything at all.

@Aaarrgghh! wait ...... these are your friends? loool since you think me and @Yale Stewarthave a bad taste in comics enlighten me on your biggest so called "keys"?im assuming most your purchases are based on a character staring in a Disney spin off... no joke post your top 3 and i will do the same, we an see who actually has what ...only if you want of course lol

On 2/5/2022 at 5:35 PM, Aaarrgghh! said:

Manga is hugely popular and has been for decades, and I believe some of their print runs are larger than American comics :makepoint: You obviously relish being ignorant. 

i live in America and i have my finger on the pulse of what is popular here , never heard of magna before though...  but if it is anything like Beany Babies it might catch on for awhile so have at it , just don't expect to get many youtube views

On 2/5/2022 at 4:35 PM, Aaarrgghh! said:

Manga is hugely popular and has been for decades, and I believe some of their print runs are larger than American comics :makepoint: You obviously relish being ignorant. 

It's fun to read in backward.  There are more stories in one book. The price is cheap and is good for two or three comic books.

On 2/5/2022 at 4:41 PM, 1950's war comics said:

i live in America and i have my finger on the pulse of what is popular here , never heard of magna before though...  but if it is anything like Beany Babies it might catch on for awhile so have at it , just don't expect to get many youtube views

Have you watched Akria and Pokemon on TV in 90's?

On 2/5/2022 at 4:44 PM, Aaarrgghh! said:

lol You are such a :censored:ing :censored:. Manga is comic books you :censored: and has been popular in 'Merica for decades :makepoint:

:wavingwhiteflag:

On 2/5/2022 at 5:48 PM, JollyComics said:

Have you watched Akria and Pokemon on TV in 90's?

never heard of those shows, i have heard of Pokemon cards though , 

i guess people will watch anything though , i do recall a show with green slime being on the air then so i guess there is something that kids enjoyed that i never knew about

Manga art for the large part doesn't suck. I'm not sure how popular it is in the states but the fact that so many of them get translated into English tells you there is demand for it in English speaking countries. Collecting these books are one thing but buying art is entirely another as most manga artists do not sell interior art. At most , you can get covers . An example below from my favorite manga of all time, or any comic book for that matter. As good as anything done by Marvel/DC.

Screenshot_20220206-064534_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5dee38cf4ce3b1b84e1b54dbce158189.jpg

On 2/5/2022 at 5:56 PM, Aaarrgghh! said:

You definitely are a :censored:ing :censored: though (thumbsu

Op wants to know why nobody is watching particular videos ,, i am merely giving him just one reason why , there is a huge swath of people (me included) who have never even heard of manga, or if they did see it,  it would be immediately dismissed as irreverent